new N

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Ok,

For those who dont know, I've had a nightmare weekend. Firstly, becoming a year older is no fun at my age and secondly, my PC decided to "check in the towel"

After much "rearranging" of components, it seems that the mobo was knackered.

I had a spare MSI KT Ultra 2 which I have in there to tide me over, but I was considering upgrading my rig.

Heres what I have atm :

MSI KT Ultra 2 Mobo
AMD Athlon XP1800 1.56 Ghz CPU
1GB RAM (in 3 slots)
300W PSU
nVidia FX5950 256 MB Gfx
Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200 RPM
Seagate Barracuda 60GB 7200 RPM
DVD Drive
CD-RW Drive.

Main thing Im looking at upgrading is the mobo and processor, with a new PSU coming shortly (possibly the Tagan 480w). Whats the suggestion nowadays for Mobo + CPU?

Not looking to burst the bank; looking for something that will comfortably handle the new range of games (like BF2)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Lazman, I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with an AMD 2800+ (Barton core) gathering dust which you possibly could have (but you'll have to fight Will for it ;))

besides that....it looks like you're in much the same problem I was in there matey. if you go for a full socket939 makeover, then you're looking at needing a new gfx card too, besides the cpu/mobo thing. if you don't do that, then you may be holding yourself back with a (possibly) non-future-proof system by getting a socket 754 mobo with an agp slot.

it's either saving yourself the cost of a PCIe gfx card or not.

this is what I did: decided "the hell with it", and got an AN8-deluxe, a 7800GT and an athlon 64bit 3200+ venice core off a mate. the cpu OC's to a whopping 2.7GHz (aparantly) though with my mobo's max vcore voltage I shan't reach that. maybe 2.5GHz. that will make me more than happy.

because the 7* series by nVidia are hitting the shops the 6* series is dropping in price, thus you may well be able to get a 6800GT on the cheap mate. an AN8 regular version won't set you back that much and the upgrade to a 3000+ or 3200+ will blow your mind back to the 60ies ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom