Games New MMORPG tbh imo kthx

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Looking for a new MMORPG.
Any suggestions? The No-Go´s are:

WoW (no Blizzard crap please)
DAoC (cba with empty servers and starting from scratch)
LotrO (just taking a break from that one)
Warhammer (...just no :))

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Hello Kitty Online?

MMOs, in general are shit.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
DAoC servers are pretty rammed these days.

Few others you didn't mention - FF11 Online, Aion, EVE. There is a new FF mmo coming soon - it is just starting its beta now.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Looking for a new MMORPG.
Any suggestions? The No-Go´s are:

WoW (no Blizzard crap please)

Well, blizzard and crap don't really go together. You don't have to like it, but they do make top of the line games.

Go try EVE online, think i can send you a buddy invite even.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Blizzard games are overhyped, overrated junk.
Sorry, that´s my personal opinion. :)

I thought about giving EvE a try, especially since two of my former co-workers are now working on EvE. Not sure it´s the right game for me though, since it looks way too "techy". I`ll see.. if I decide to play it, I´ll give you a buzz for the buddy inv. Thanks ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Blizzard games are overhyped, overrated junk.
Sorry, that´s my personal opinion. :)

Well not really, they are hyped because they are good.

Best done MMO of that style out there. Diablo, another prime example. Starcraft and warcraft, rts alongside best, if not best.

Compared to a lot of other MMOs, wow has almost every aspect better and a lot of new MMOs have a lot to thank for in wow.

That's not a fanboi statement, it's purely an observation.

IF you'd like to back up your statement of "blizzard makes junk" with anything, then it will sound like an opinion and not just a "hating bliz is todays cool" statement.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
Maybe Aion, champions online or global agenda? They are all relatively new and I haven't heard about any of them doing a big WAR-esque fail yet.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home

Yeah.. if someone at Blizzard HQ leaves a fart, you´ll see the headlines with "leaked information about upcoming Diablo4 plans!" all over the web the next day. :)

If they didn´t have the unconditioned support of an army of 12yo brainless muppets, they wouldn´t be where they are now. I have played Starcraft, Warcraft 2 and 3, Diablo 1 and 2 and a lot of BNet. All their games are solid, fun to play, but nowhere near as good as the hype pretends they are.

I dislike Blizzard´s attitude for about 10 years now, so it´s definitely not a FOTM thingy. Anyways, I´m not going to discuss that here (have done it in the past already). Just accept that this is my pov, or call me an anti-fanboi for all I care. :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah, judging wow as crap solely due to it being popular without trying it yourself, anti-fanboi action to the core.

Especially since you find the other games fun, yet call it crap because it's popular.

What exactly IS Blizzards attitude?

The main points being, it seems you're hating blizzard because of the fanbase.

That's not a bad attitude, that's a succesful company.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Thorwyn said:
Anyways, I´m not going to discuss that here (have done it in the past already). Just accept that this is my pov, or call me an anti-fanboi for all I care. :)

...for all I care

that's a succesful company.

So is Microsoft. :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
aions not bad some nice rvr and all .. bit of a grind after lvl 30 ish i guess ... but they are correcting that with upcoming patches and double xp weekends every other week at the moment .

Its very Korean in GFX style if you like that sort of thing .. ppl running about with huge axes and swords and stuff kinda like FF.

Then theres the old city of heroes / villans super hero mmo's and such i never got on with that tho found it a bit shallow

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So is Microsoft. :)

And? So is EA etc etc.

You can't say "I don't like ice cream 'cause poo tastes bad" :p

Mainly cause it's not really here or there and secondly 'cause it implies you've eaten poo :D

Marc

FH is my second home
I have to say, EvE online is quite simply the best MMORPG ive ever played. Obviously your randoms say "its boring" after playing for a month and it can be, but ive been playing for nearly a year now and once you get past that first month its immense.. The PvP beats DAoC hands down. Ive also got a buddy key to give, giving you a 30 day trial

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
And? So is EA etc etc.

You can't say "I don't like ice cream 'cause poo tastes bad" :p

Mainly cause it's not really here or there and secondly 'cause it implies you've eaten poo :D

Ok, I concede. Let me rephrase my statement then...

*clears throat*

Blizzard is a highly creative and successful company that creates tons of top notch innovative games. They have a solid, mature and sometimes even borderline ciritcal fanbase, which they use to further improve their products!
I would give my left arm to play their epic game called "World of Warcraft". But unfortunately, I´ll never get to know the true promise of this game, because I only have a P3/400MhZ with 16 MB RAM, a Hercules monochrome gfx card and a joystick instead of a mouse. :(

eksdee

FH is my second home
EVE is definitely gaming's marmite - you either love it or hate it. it simply never appealed to me but some friends of mine play it a lot (and have done for years), they love the game and have done for years. i figure there must be a free trial of some sort so i think EVE would be a really good place to start since it has a tonne to do, it is stable, has a large player base, lots of content etc etc.

otherwise, i think aion is a great game and has come on leaps and bounds since its western release. there is plenty of content, you can pvp right from lvl25-50 and it is arguably better to pvp while leveling currently than rush to 50 since there is simply more action lvl25-49 than there is at 50. this coupled with the double xp weekends means you barely even have to notice the grind if you don't want to while constantly improving your character (the lvl30 elite pvp armour is more than viable at 50) on your way to 50.

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, judging wow as crap solely due to it being popular without trying it yourself, anti-fanboi action to the core.

OK, I'l bite...

Now I'd hardly call myself a anti-blizzard fanboi. I still think that Diablo 2 is the best game i've ever played, and still over 10 years on from first playing it pick it up occasionally and love it.

I also accept that WOW probably isn't a bad game. It's a very polished, very well done version of what it is. What I hate about it is what it's done to the gaming industry.

You see, it's not just 15 year old fanboi's that play WOW. It's also their parents and their grandparents and their sisters. Now the problem with this is that the large majority of this demographic suck at playing games. I don't have a problem with that either. What I do have a problem with is the solution to this.

Instead of saying, well you suck at playing this game, get better. They took the other approach and said.. You suck at playing this game, let us make the game easier so you can still enjoy yourself while sucking at it. This means there's actually very little incentive to get any better at the game. Fail to do something with 5 people, bring 10 people instead!!

Now this wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that it's incredibly sucessful and makes a silly amount of money. Every other game developer then sees this and decides that actually what they want is to make silly amounts of money, so also produce a game that "anyone can play".

The best thing about DAoC RvR was crowd control. Go play warhammer which is for many intensve purposes DAoC without crowd control, because of course your sucky players don't like crowd control. It means they can't do anything because they arn't positioned correctly and so are on the side that got mezzed everytime. This instantly means that the side with more people always wins.. you simply can't beat bigger numbers when you can't stop them doing stuff constantly, and doing stuff constantly = fun!! See previous point, if you can't win with 5 people, bring 10!

It means that instead of games actually being fun for gamers, new games are fun for everyone, except the actual gamers who get bored rather quickly standing in the middle of a zerg knowing that even if they play brilliantly, they really can't effect the outcome. The few games that might be good gamer games of course never get any media attention, so finding them becomes almost impossible, and when you do there's no-one playing them since finding them is almost impossible.

It's not that WOW is a bad game and Blizzard is a crappy company. It's that WOW is a good game and Blizzard are too good of a company. Just somewhere along the road they lost the "games made by gamers for gamers" ideal they used to have and instead reverted to "games made by gamers for none gamers to make us filthy rich" instead. Just take your average FPS game these days. Tricky... not really, since you can save the game every 5 steps, oh no i've died.. reload, forward, forward, bang... Pretend that never happened!

Now prove me wrong by getting the thread back on topic and listing all those games that don't fall into the above deathtrap, and as such might be worth actually playing!!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Tbh, better off waiting for FF14 and/or something else.

Aion is ok, but need to wait and see if 1.9/2.0 are going to make it worth playing in the long run.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
lots of text

At least 3 times you mentioned bringing twice as many people to make something easier. Unless they added something strange since I last played, this simple isn't even possible in WoW. PVE dungeons are limited to a # of players, and designed specifically to challenge that number of players. Same thing for the PVP instances -- it's team vs team. I don't know what game you're talking about, but it isn't the WoW I played. Also, WoW has always provided challenging content for every tier of player. You couldn't get a guild full of these 'sucky' players and expect to clear any of the top or middle raid dungeons.

Even if you hate WoW, look at everything else they've produced. Brilliant games every single time. There isn't a more consistent developer in the world.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
and Blizzard has alot of old MMOs to thank as well, your point?

The big point is that blizzard brought MMO into the western gaming market in a meaningful way, opened the door for "lesser" MMOs and made investors realise that MMOs can make money to them.

Without the success wow has had, i doubt war and other such things would be even tried, who knows, mmo scene could be long dead by now.

OK, I'l bite... *snip*
Now prove me wrong by getting the thread back on topic and listing all those games that don't fall into the above deathtrap, and as such might be worth actually playing!!

Nothing to bite, i was just asking for some reasoning behind a statement, which seems impossible to do by some. But to your answer;

What ST sayas rings true in wow. Sure, you can bring a few friends to help you complete a quest, but that's the multiplayer aspect of an MMO. Even with those friends, the endgame raiding(and even lower level), becomes -very- difficult and i'd say "nerdy hardcore of ye old school" when you need 25 people to do their job to the dot and one person making one mistake will mean that you've wasted another 30 minutes.

Any and every MMO starts easy, there's no challenge in pressing xyz to kill mob #1245. Not one exception. Later it turns harder and harder and there are limits to people who can join and those limits are set higher and higher.

Sure, one player acting brilliantlly can't kill 25 people in the PVP zone, but then it's about teamwork above individuals, which IS fun. PVP is limited too, you can't have an unbalanced match.

Games becoming easier isn't due to WOW, wow may begin easy, but so does every other MMO. I'd blame wii and other "casual" games for that.

Which brings me to the final point which you asked to prove you wrong, which i already posted;

"Now prove me wrong by getting the thread back on topic and listing all those games that don't fall into the above deathtrap, and as such might be worth actually playing!!"

EVE doesn't fall in the "easy trap", but that also makes it a pain to play and the fun sometimes goes out the window. Wow is worth playing, as much as any other mmo, it's fun, entertaining, but if you want some game that will kick you down and piss in your hair while you're down there, play EVE. It's fun too, but it's not as fun at times as wow is a more constant source of entertainment.

Just don't come crying about it being mean when you lose half a year of work in one fight when you get bested by the bigger fish :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter

Best done MMO of that style out there. Diablo, another prime example. Starcraft and warcraft, rts alongside best, if not best.

Compared to a lot of other MMOs, wow has almost every aspect better and a lot of new MMOs have a lot to thank for in wow.

That's not a fanboi statement, it's purely an observation.

IF you'd like to back up your statement of "blizzard makes junk" with anything, then it will sound like an opinion and not just a "hating bliz is todays cool" statement.

Blizzard was good until activision bought them in 2007 now they're just sinking lower and lower as they're trying to milk as much money out of people as possible and as a result WoW is suffering for it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Blizzard was good until activision bought them in 2007 now they're just sinking lower and lower as they're trying to milk as much money out of people as possible and as a result WoW is suffering for it.

That's a multi-opinion thing though. Some old school players say that it's a bad thing, i(and others) don't necessarily think it is.

Have to see how cata changes wow as it brings back the old areas to play again.

But makign things easier doesn't always mean it's worse, some things they've made easier are things that should've been that way in the beginning.

As an example the easier leveling, it's great for people who can't play long hours, yet it doesn't remove the old fact that "skill over all" and if you do spend time with your class, you will win over the same level, same gear, guy who hasn't put the hours in.

Oh yeah and more on topic;

Demons souls. If you don't want hand holding and think that EVE is too forgiving, play that.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Maybe Aion, champions online or global agenda? They are all relatively new and I haven't heard about any of them doing a big WAR-esque fail yet.

Champions Online is fucking awful. I was in the Beta/Early start and quit the game before the early start finished. The game is still in the wrapping it's that bad!

Global Agenda is boring as hell. There is no lifespan to it so it's like playing counter strike and pretending its an mmo.

mooSe_

FH is my second home
it still takes 12-18 hours per level 40-50 so if that bothers you then it's still advisable to stay well away :p

that does kinda put me off, I have terribly low grinding stamina, but I don't really mind slow levelling if I am doing something interesting (such as pvp or instances) whilst levelling. Killing mobs on my own for hours on end = no subs from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom