new house, new network

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Hi Chaps - interesting new house and network conundrum.

I'm moving out to the countryside and the specter of crap broadband is raising its ugly head. The ADSL with plusnet is going to give me about 1.5/0.3 Mbps down/up. :poop:

However, the missus is on the one plan with an iPhone and can throw a very decent 3G teather into the house when positioned by the large front windows - about 12/2 MBps. Obviously the teather range is a bit limited and it will need boosting.

What I would like is a way for the iPhone to be repeated or wirelessly routed in the house when she is around, with the network falling back to ADSL when she is not around.

Any thought on a product that could do this.

Greatly appreciated. Cheers.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tether the iPhone to an old spare lappy or old poota over wifi. use THAT computer as a network gateway with wither more wifi or (preferably imo) powerline

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Three used to do a mifi device. You might find that a good place to research.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Data rates are so expensive after your free gb or so that I would have thought that would be unworkable. Unless money is no object

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure about the laptop idea - sounds a bit cumbersome to me having to have a laptop working all the time - so I suppose the laptop would be attached to the wireless router? and the devices would specify the laptop's gateway?

Mifi - I'll have to have a closer look at that.

On the data, its all you can eat data. Apparently, 3 have stopped this tariff with teather for new customers precisely because people have been using it for home broadband.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Would a wireless rage extender not be the easiest option. Join it to the iPhone network and then extend it via that? The only problem might be with DHCP ect as the iPhone is essentially your router in this equation.

Poag

m00?
Data rates are so expensive after your free gb or so that I would have thought that would be unworkable. Unless money is no object
Hi Chaps - interesting new house and network conundrum.

I'm moving out to the countryside and the specter of crap broadband is raising its ugly head. The ADSL with plusnet is going to give me about 1.5/0.3 Mbps down/up. :poop:

However, the missus is on the one plan with an iPhone and can throw a very decent 3G teather into the house when positioned by the large front windows - about 12/2 MBps. Obviously the teather range is a bit limited and it will need boosting.

What I would like is a way for the iPhone to be repeated or wirelessly routed in the house when she is around, with the network falling back to ADSL when she is not around.

Any thought on a product that could do this.

Greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Unfortunately you've just missed the boat on the good Three AUCE products. Previously you could pay £15 pcm and tether unlimited data amounts (i've previously used my phone to download ~100gb from steam while i played on my normal dsl). Sadly new contracts have a cap on the tether amount to 2gb a month.

Maybe i should sell my current contract onto the highest bidder! (as i'm rolling the original auce package ;) )

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Unfortunately you've just missed the boat on the good Three AUCE products. Previously you could pay £15 pcm and tether unlimited data amounts (i've previously used my phone to download ~100gb from steam while i played on my normal dsl). Sadly new contracts have a cap on the tether amount to 2gb a month.

Maybe i should sell my current contract onto the highest bidder! (as i'm rolling the original auce package ;) )

Aye, thats the one the wife's got. Using it now in fact.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Mifi - I'll have to have a closer look at that.

On the data, its all you can eat data. Apparently, 3 have stopped this tariff with teather for new customers precisely because people have been using it for home broadband.

Well worth a look, my parents had about 2 megabits if they were lucky and considered a three MiFi because they were in the high speed 3G area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom