New headphones

Summo

Loyal Freddie
I've just bought a CD/MP3 player (iMP-350, £60 from eBay!) and I'm very pleased, but the headphones are a little weak and I'm looking for replacements.

I'm after in-ear headphones with the best sound possible (obviously) for no more than £30.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Yours, as ever,

Summo

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
Ive got a pair of Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones which I havent had any trouble with, but reviews on Amazon seem mixed. 25.99 from amazon, though theyve got a long lead time now.
Very nice, got nice bass and block out everything around you. Which is why I dont use them at work - difficult enough for people to get my attention with the cheap in-ear ones I use there as it is :)

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
stormrider said:
Ive got a pair of Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones which I havent had any trouble with, but reviews on Amazon seem mixed. 25.99 from amazon, though theyve got a long lead time now.
Very nice, got nice bass and block out everything around you. Which is why I dont use them at work - difficult enough for people to get my attention with the cheap in-ear ones I use there as it is :)

I've got some of these, very nice :)

Great for work cos I can listen to music and no one else knows that I am! Good sound and bass. etc etc...

Overall (y)

Summo

Loyal Freddie
An awful lot of people on Amazon complaining about the left earpiece failing, but then they all comment on how good the sound quality is.

Hmm... do I take my chances? Hmm...

Does anyone know about the quality of Sennheiser earphones? Particularly the MX500?

edit: Actually the customer reviews on the MX500 are shit.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
We really liked the MX500 when we used them a while back for iPod testage... but I'd have to suggest these as I've just gotten a set and they blow everything except for my sony earbuds with noise cancelling (>£100) out of the water - and they're a bit of a bargain at £29 or thereabouts online...

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, just re-read my post, and just to be clear, the 00ber noise cancelling earbuds we've got are the >£100 jobbies, but for the money those apple aftermarket wossnames are teh spinkeh. Apple have them for direct sale on their UK store - www.apple.com/uk clicky 'the store' - they're under 'iPod accessories' for ~£29.

Xav

ArrrImmaPir8!

Fledgling Freddie
Get a pair of Koss Earbuds and do this to them. Anything else is a waste of cash as all in ear plugs are shitty unless you pay for decent canal fits.

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
Summo said:
An awful lot of people on Amazon complaining about the left earpiece failing, but then they all comment on how good the sound quality is.

Hmm... do I take my chances? Hmm...

Does anyone know about the quality of Sennheiser earphones? Particularly the MX500?

edit: Actually the customer reviews on the MX500 are shit.

Yup was worried when I read through those last night as well - 100+ comments. Though one comment was from someone who had them 13 months without any problems. Ive had mine about 11 months. Might just have been a bad batch. But as with anything you buy, you assume its going to be reliable. Though I would have thought Sony would cover them - at the very least.

*shrug*

Vae

Resident Freddy
I also use the Sony Fontopia headphones and think they are fantastic. My only complaint is that I've lost a couple of the rubber ear buds (there's 3 sizes of them) when they've got caught on things when pulling them out of pockets/bags etc.

I can wander down a London street and feel in my own little world because it blocks out so much noise - at least until some Taxi tries knocking me down anyway as i walk deafly across a road in front of it :(

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
ArrrImmaPir8! said:
Get a pair of Koss Earbuds and do this to them. Anything else is a waste of cash as all in ear plugs are shitty unless you pay for decent canal fits.
i usd to have a pair of koss', they where quite good until that wire broke in side the shefe*, and you had to twiddle it 'till it worked

they came with my rio mp3 player

my current ones are some cheep philips, there OK but not mega

Summo

Loyal Freddie
stormrider said:
Well, I've just bought a pair of these from an offline shop in town so I can take them back if an earpiece fails. There were just so many good reviews of these headphones that I had to have them.

Thanks for all your help guys!

:D

Summo

Loyal Freddie
Fuck! These aren't even as good as the iRiver phones I got with the device! I don't suppose Sony will take them back, either.

I've just thrown away £35.

:(

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
Summo said:
Fuck! These aren't even as good as the iRiver phones I got with the device! I don't suppose Sony will take them back, either.

Pfft, nothing wrong with the headphones, get your ears seen to! :eek:

:)

mookie

One of Freddy's beloved
Summo said:

make sure you've got the right size buds on, and that they are well sealed in your ear, or they will sound like shit.

i love mine :)

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
I've got some Fontopias, don't think they're that good tbh :/

Summo

Loyal Freddie
A bit chuffing late for that, Nos!

A friend at work likes them over his cheap pair and has agreed to but them for £20. I don't feel like such a mug now. :)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i need new ear phones, but i cannot wear inner ear phones. reason being they do not fit at all! does anyone know a good pair that wrap around your head? by that i mean round the back of your head.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I think I'm going to get both the Sony and Apple in-ear buds...

stormrider

Fledgling Freddie
Summo said:

d'oh, sorry you didnt like them.

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Summo said:
. I don't feel like such a mug now. :)

I feel like a mug. Spent 99p on some cheapo ebay headphones just so I could use them for teamspeak on a seperate PC and the cable doesn't even reach half way from the sound card socket to my head.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
tris- said:
does anyone know a good pair that wrap around your head? by that i mean round the back of your head.

Be warned that you cannot wear these headphones with spectacles, or sunglasses.

I'm wondering if any research has been done into the negative effects caused by personal stereos on people's long-term hearing. I wouldn't mind buying an mp3 player, but I can't help worrying about tinnitus in later life.

Also, bear in mind that ear infections are quite easy to catch with inner-ear headphones. Make sure you clean them with alcohol every few weeks, and don't let anybody else wear them, ever. Most news presenters have their own inner-ear earbuds for this reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom