O

old.tRoG

i think editors are for nancy cheaters :p

mmm.... raw code

I IS TEH HTML GEEK!!!11

O

old.tRoG

yes i did, but its too fancy for me :)

its not a wysiwyg, but i still think its cheating ;)

syntax checkers? J00 CHEATZ0R! ;)

A

agraucred

it doesnt load entirly and takes 5 mins loading up parts of what turns out to be just a BG image, also the servers part doesnt show up aswell as a couple of other white boxes. needs sorting! layout is nice, but thought on loading times would have also been nice.

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Sarnat
The new site is HORRIBLE and violates pretty much every rule there is about making a good web site.

Some points:

1) it doesn't work with all browsers
2) it has java/flash on navigation
3) it has too much graphics

I really want to know where the guy who made those learned to make web pages.

It's a bitch to navigate and scroll in the flash chronicles. I couldnt figure out how to see the alliances and so on. You can't sort the guilds based on RPs and so on and so on. The list of endless how much features it's missing.

I could live if the site would remain same but work with my favourite browser. But the chronicles is the worst.

Ok mr Nielsen... :)
1: it doesn't need to - people play DAoC need a PC hence have IE.
2: it's pretty, that's why it's there...
3: see 2.

Now for those of you grumbling that its not the most easy to link to/navigate, fair enough... but I think the moment they release the XML we'll have about 20 fan sites out there with a searchable text-only version (heck, I intend to get my own guild stuff out of it)

This version is there to look nice :) and I think it's cool.
The plaintext, easy-to-use ones will follow, worry ye not.

There are two points to that website:
1: get the guild stuff to you
2: advertise the game.

Plain text times new roman might do '1' better, but it won't do '2' very well.

For those of you in the anti-flash brigade, wait for the XML :)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by old.tRoG
yeah, screw netscape ;)

i code html in notepad, and netscape is the bane of my life :twak:

everything has to spot on and exact or netscape spews it all up...

at least in ie you can mke a few boo-boos and it will clear up the mess for you ;)

but besides that, i really like to site. just pumped my res. up and it fits the screen, yay! :)

I wouldn't mind the strictness of netscape...

if it wasn't so GOD DAMNED BUGGY!
try doing a document.write() inside a table in netscape... it doesn't work.
Try nesting two tables inside each other... ooh look, netscape takes 3 hours to render the page.
If you try doing anything with JavaScript in netscape you end up spending more time writing workarounds for the bugs/incompatibilities than anything else.

NS 4.7 is donkeys-years old... and it shows it. It was written before the ECMA javascript standard was written, hence the JavaScript engine is buggered (and has that horrible LAYER tag)

Mozilla (and hence Netscape 6 or 7) is nice, Opera is cool too :) they all use the proper W3C stuff.

I'll be so glad when the day comes that NS4 is used by a significantly small percentage that we can ignore it completely...
Then I can bitch about IE5 not being completely compatible with the W3C model :) (at least it doesn't forget your functions, or decide a global variable no longer exists)

O

old.yaruar

Originally posted by Fingoniel

Mozilla (and hence Netscape 6 or 7) is nice, Opera is cool too :) they all use the proper W3C stuff.

Naaah bring back Mosaic. Now there was a good browser.

X

Xgkkp

Originally posted by Fingoniel
There are two points to that website:
1: get the guild stuff to you
2: advertise the game.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK. WRONG.

The point of that website is 1

The point of http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/ is to advertise the game.

Oh, and ie isn't the only browser out there.

And the site is optimised for 1028x

And it sucks.

O

old.Khael

1: it doesn't need to - people play DAoC need a PC hence have IE.

What's your point? PC isn't all Microsoft, I don't use IE, and I don't use 1280x960 so this site looks like crap on my computer.

O

old.chesnor

Yeah, but you need windows to play this game already. And if you have windows, you have IE. So what is your problem ?

O

old.Khael

The problem is I don't want to use unsecure, bugged and extremely slow browser just because GOA's programmers can't code for shit :[

F

Flimgoblin

They wrote it in Flash, no?

Flash is a standard plugin, hence should work on everything modern.

It might not work on buggy old browsers (like IE <5 or NS <6).

Opera seems a bit dubious about configuring flash tbh....

O

old.Khael

Latest flash plugin installed for all browsers. As I already said:
- Guild member listings don't work in IE6.0.
- Menu / player count are messed up in Opera 6.04, and Mozilla 1.1.
It's not my job to sit and make THEIR webpage work like it should. I know how it all works, and I know it can be done. I'm a web designer myself, so don't give me that bullshit about incompatible browsers or slow computers...

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by old.Khael
Latest flash plugin installed for all browsers. As I already said:
- Guild member listings don't work in IE6.0.
- Menu / player count are messed up in Opera 6.04, and Mozilla 1.1.
It's not my job to sit and make THEIR webpage work like it should. I know how it all works, and I know it can be done. I'm a web designer myself, so don't give me that bullshit about incompatible browsers or slow computers...

- Guild member listings actually do work with IE6.0
- Opera and Mozilla? Bwhahaha....

Ohh... please, post URL's of the pages you 'designed'.
Haven't seen a Frontpage job in quite a while... or do you use the Netscape page builder?

P

- Pathfinder -

He has a point though. I'd be more concerned with making a decent site than testing it with compability for Opera/Mozilla; few people use these programs, they can use IE to view it. Life is tough.

G

Gef

Originally posted by old.yaruar

Naaah bring back Mosaic. Now there was a good browser.

IE = Mosaic, check the About

If you ask me building sites to Mozilla standard should the law! Its cross platform/OS compatible which is more than you can say for IE.

P

- Pathfinder -

How many people without a PC play DAoC? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom