new gfx card

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Right, been looking at the Radeon 5770 series cards, I've got no idea what the nvidia offerings are like. It looks like the ati cards have been out for nearly a year now. Is it worth me buying now, or are new cards imminent that will force the price down?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
ooh let me know I am curious about this myself. I currently have a 4870...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I currently have a x1950xtx, so I'm very out of touch. It's annoying, as the card actually handles games at my res of 1920*1200 quite well, obviously with most settings on medium and low, but it's not shader model 3.0 compatible, so it fails with new games.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I currently have a x1950xtx, so I'm very out of touch. It's annoying, as the card actually handles games at my res of 1920*1200 quite well, obviously with most settings on medium and low, but it's not shader model 3.0 compatible, so it fails with new games.

Oooh - so do I :)

I was thinking of getting a GTX460.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
My budget is lower Wij, although I spent cash on the xtx, and it lasted the long run, I just don't play enough games to justify more than £130 on a card. My other consideration is size and power, I don't want to spend a fortune on a PSU, nor struggle to fit it in my case.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My budget is lower Wij, although I spent cash on the xtx, and it lasted the long run, I just don't play enough games to justify more than £130 on a card. My other consideration is size and power, I don't want to spend a fortune on a PSU, nor struggle to fit it in my case.

I was gonna wait a couple of months to see if the price comes down :)

Also I just got a new 850W PSU so that's no issue. They're supposed to be very quiet too and my XTX sounds like a jet engine now.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yeah, we have a near identical set up from what I recall. I'm not sure when the case and it's contents went from being ultra quiet, to I can hear all the ruddy fans.

What PSU did you buy? Linky? I may try and get the card a bit cheaper, and put some money towards a psu. Think mine is only 350watts, or whatever the standard one that came with the Antec case was.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, we have a near identical set up from what I recall. I'm not sure when the case and it's contents went from being ultra quiet, to I can hear all the ruddy fans.

What PSU did you buy? Linky? I may try and get the card a bit cheaper, and put some money towards a psu. Think mine is only 350watts, or whatever the standard one that came with the Antec case was.

Sonata II black ?

Mine was 450W but I think it had been dodgy for a while so was probably not producing 450W. Got this one instead:

OCZ GameXStream 850W PSU - Silent 120mm Blue LED Fan.. | Ebuyer.com

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yes, that case. Like I said; we have near identical set ups :) The threads for when we bought them are on here somewhere!

Ahh 450w is okay, the ATI cards are not as demanding as the Nvidia ones.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My system is still near-silent (even better now with new PSU) until I start a game :)

The XTX is noooooiiiiiiisy.

soze

I am a FH squatter
My system was a pig for noise but i put one of these on it with two Noctua Fans and it is so much better :)

I am running a hd5850 in my machine and it has not ever skipped a beat but it is very power hungry and it makes the case very hot after running for any length of time. That could just be my MSI one though.

Also it is huge so you do need to measure the case.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Anyone? No advice on what to buy and whether to wait or not? come on you bloody nerds!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Too much money, max I'm spending is £130. Also those nvidia cards want too much power from a quick browse.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I've one of those Ch3t, I think. It's a 5700 series anyway, I'm sure I went for the 70 ahead of the 80.

The only thing I've found it wanting on is the very highest details in Metro 2033, I've had to knock some down for a better framerate (still barely played it though). Runs things like Bioshock/Batman with everything on the max without a problem. I don't game all that much though so my coverage on the issue is pretty poor tbh.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Ch3tan find some cards in your price range and link them, then we can tell you which one to go for. Or you could look on Toms Hardware to get a rough score on them.

Also check your PSU. Does it have 2x 6pin power connectors? If not, you will have to check the card you're interested in only requires 1x 6pin power connector.

You can get adapters (2x Molex to 1x 6pin) but I don't think they are much kop.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
What I really need to know is; when are ATI and Nvidia releasing their new batch of cards?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Love the fact it's about half the size of my x1950xtx. Mafia 2 looks and runs very well, and it's no noiser than the old card, probably quieter infact.

Agell

One of Freddy's beloved
Just waiting for my new 5770 to turn up too, had an old 2900xt that died a few months ago. Had to use an (even) older 7800gt until I had enough cash for a semi decent midrange card.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
If anyone wants one of these on the cheap, there are a fair few going for around the £80 mark in the trading forums at avforums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom