New GFX Card

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
Right, i been thinkin of upgrading my monitor to a 26" jobby from Samsung, don't remember the model atm but anyways, i was thinkin of upgrading my gfx card aswell as with the bigger monitor i have doubts my 8800gt will have the grunt for the larger monitor.

Was thinking along the lines of a 1GB 4870 and my main question is will my case hold it? It's an Antec 900 Gaming case.
Spec is
Mobo-Abit IP35 Pro
4GB OCZ Reaper RAM (2x 2GB)
CPU-Q6600
PSU-OCZ StealthXStream 600w Silent SLI Ready ATX2
HDD's-Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
- Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
Will there be any problems with that lot?

Thanks in advance :drink:

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
in that case you'll only see 3.2GB of your ram. better think about upgrading to a 64bit OS if you want to see more.

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
in that case you'll only see 3.2GB of your ram. better think about upgrading to a 64bit OS if you want to see more.

I'm very much aware of that an i fail to have any performance issues atm with what i have, i'm pretty much of the theory of "if it aint broke don't fix it", only want to upgrade gfx cos the desire of a monitor 4" bigger than my current one leaves me thinking my 8800GT will struggle like hell with decent res on such sized monitor :)

And am i right in thinking that Vista uses on average 4-800mb RAM anyway? so having 4GB visable/usable by my OS wouldnt really give me much performance anyway.....goin up to 6GB or 8GB on the other hand...

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
A 1Gb 4870 would be a good idea. Remember that the graphics memory (and other memory, e.g. a soundcard with memory) is included in that 4Gb. Your usable memory in 32-bit windows will be below 3Gb, well worth upgrading it's pretty easy to do so.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
And am i right in thinking that Vista uses on average 4-800mb RAM anyway? so having 4GB visable/usable by my OS wouldnt really give me much performance anyway.....goin up to 6GB or 8GB on the other hand...

I have 8GB of ram running Vista 64b Ultimate, and with just a fully patched Vista and some apps my keyboard tells me I have 23% ram used, ie something like 1800mb or so. even when I'm drawing something the counter rarely goes over 35%. only my virtual machines can create any kind of high figures there really.

Helme

Resident Freddy
On the other hand, you might want DX10 for your new graphic card, it makes alot of different in most games, and it'll only get bigger in the future :)

The HD4870 is a solid choice anyways, go for it.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I picked up an HD4670 1Gb DDR3 card yesterday for just 80 quid at Maplins - pretty good value, I thought, no?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Aye - not doubting that it can be found online for less, but this I was able to buy instore and have same day ;) I was really referring to the card itself being pretty good value at around that price in terms of bang for the buck ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom