New Expansion...?

Iceflower

Fledgling Freddie
>No one knows what the new expansion might be but imo the best guess is that it will be in the mould of Lost Dungeons of Norrath.

I would put my money on this too, the personalised dungeon, first encountered in Anarchy Online sounds like a much clever way of leveling than having to deal with camped spots etc.

And of course it will include lots of superior items so you need to buy it to stay competitive in the deathmatch part of the game. Cash flow is king in this game ;)

Cracked

Fledgling Freddie
Jaem- said:
:touch:

All I was saying, is that it has a price, meaning it will contain things to make you maybe have an advantage over others, making profit for them, after all Mythric is a company just like any other.

"advantage over others", that is what i dont like with the expansions so far, if it contained new items that made u a semigod in PvE, sure im all for it but plz dont destroy RvR more then they have. I was trying to explain by quoteing you that profit is ok, i will even pay to NOT get a new expansion if that expansion means creating new über loot that needs to be farmed.

PvE is dull, RvR is fun.

Tesla Monkor

Fledgling Freddie
Heh. Well, for what it's worth, I think it might be nice. Maybe self-generating dungeons, so they get less predictable. Dungeons under capital cities, maybe. Who knows. :)

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
That's just your opinion, I know a lot of people who feel precisely the opposite. Myself included.

Thats the most common opinion though, and we all know that daoc wouldn't have any players if it didn't have RvR.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
gervaise said:
No one knows what the new expansion might be but imo the best guess is that it will be in the mould of Lost Dungeons of Norrath. To those unaware the (Game of the Year) LDoN was the ground breaking EQ expansion that introduced instancing. Its very clever and ended forever the need to camp in EQ - that mantle being firmly picked p by DAoC.

IMO - if you were to ask after the smart money, you'd find it's on exactly this.

Instanced, possibly randomly generated, dungeons.

For those unfamilar with the concept, you form a group - you talk to an NPC, a mini-zone is spawned that only your group can enter, you get x minutes to get in, complete victory conditions a,b and c, and get out. Then all home in time for tea and medals.

Rinse and repeat until you have enough seals/xp/mlxp/rp/new-type-of-xp to get whatever kind of new shiny is offered at the end of it.

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
The main problem with instancing is the economy imo, repops controlled rarity of items to an extent, assuming that multiple "raids" could handle the encounter.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Is a random-dungeon-generator worth buying an expansion for?

I'm hoping it's an underground frontiers zone, a massive network of tunnels breaking into burried cities and such which is open to all realms. It's fun to RvR in DF, but there's the problem of access...

Will probably come with a graphics upgrade too (like SI and ToA) and maybe we'll finally see Jewelcrafting which will make it alot easier to make SC sets. Mythic will be staking alot on this expansion, it needs to make the game easier to play and less time consuming, unlike ToA. If it's PvE heavy like ToA, they'll lose alot of people to WoW and other MMOLRPGs coming out at that time... why spend 50hours just to get yourself RvR ready again when you can spend that same time on another game and end up with a fully competant character? oO

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Escape said:
Is a random-dungeon-generator worth buying an expansion for?

If it's done as well or better than the EQ equivalent, then absolutely.

If it's as average as the AO equivalent, then probably not.

Sigurd

Banned
So, how do they explain a "random dungeon generator" - dungeons just randomly pop into existence when you speak to an NPC? That'd be more unbelievable than anything in DAoC yet. Surely for a MMORPG to be competitive and interesting it has to at least be vaguely reality based (even if it's not ours) or we might as well play as rotting purple elephant-men flying around on clouds of popcorn.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
If - and we don't know - but if it includes instanced dungeons then this is probably how it would work:

You will assemble your group, talk to an NPc and be given the 'mission'.

There are many different types of adventure in EQ LDoN - stop the execution, uncover the spy, rescue the captive, even kill a den of mobs - and, in EQ, abilities like trap detection come into play. I would expect something akin to this.

Missions exist for 'up to one full group'. Raids exist for 1 to 2 full groups. The missions will depend upon the level of the party. There are various themes.

The group now head for the 'dungeon' - you have a certain time to get there before 'the clock' starts. The dungeon will not simply appear it will already be firmly routed in the world - maybe even Catacombs in Cornwall for example - the oint being that the dungeon will not simply appear.

What does 'appear' however is the content when you and your group enter the dungeon. There will be no other characters in the dungeon - just your group. There could be several groups in the dungeon at the same time but each group will have its own 'instance' of the dungeon.

Now I mentioned 'the clock' above. In EQ LDoN the missions all have a time limit. And things are usually cut very finely indeed - to triumph you need to think on your feet very quickly. Dying can really upset your chances of getting the job done.

This time element has introduced a huge fun factor into EQ - there is tension in the missions.

Maybe a DF type dungeon would be included. Maybe they could have instanced RvR dungeons - AI characters from the other realms if none are available maybe.

Then again maybe Catacombs is a bedside book and this is all pointless speculation (if Frontiers graphics are done though I suspect the artists will indeed be working on a new project).

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
From what people are saying on VNWhine, looks like it's bona fide. I'd love to know what's in it, hopefully more PvE.

Having just come across one of your VN posts Svart would you agree with me that the VN DAoC forums are dying a death. They have certainly gone very quite? (Same name and sig so I assume its you)

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
gervaise said:
Having just come across one of your VN posts Svart would you agree with me that the VN DAoC forums are dying a death. They have certainly gone very quite? (Same name and sig so I assume its you)

Aye, it's the same me.

I think the whine-to-actual-post ratio is about the same TBH.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
LOL

My sig makes perfect sense, if you want PvP and don't want PvE why aren't you playing Counterstrike/Quake/UT/BF1942/Enemy Territory etc etc etc? These games offer excellent team-based PvP action with no PvE.

I do not understand all the RvR fanatics who whine and whine about "having to do PvE" in TOA...it's not like Mythic introduced PvE/levelling in a patch or something.

MMORPGS are just that, Role playing games, you choose your roll, should you want to simply PvP you should be able, should you want to PvE you should also be able.

This idiotic logic that just because the game has PvE in it, and if you dont like it you should play a PvP only based game. Its like saying to someone who likes Counter-Strike because its Terrorists against Counter-Terrorists, that they should play Rainbow Six...

By your own logic you should be playing one of the many other MMORPGS that consist of only PvE. Live and let live I say, if you dont wanna PvE you shouldnt have to, and to deny that you dont have to PvE with the current state of things (ToA) is a blatent lie. Of course the arguement is there that you also 'have' to PvP to PvE for ra's, its very small, as what RA's really make a difirence? IP ect? You need very few ra points for that, however you need hours and dependance upon alot of others to do ML raids and farm artifacts.

Svartmetall, I find it totaly absurd that you ask for people who do not enjoy PvE to play a PvP only game, when you yourself admit you do not like PvP yet think its fine for yourself to simply play the PvE side to this game.

+Narrow-Mindness
-Empathy

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Melachi said:
Of course the arguement is there that you also 'have' to PvP to PvE for ra's, its very small, as what RA's really make a difirence? IP ect? You need very few ra points for that, however you need hours and dependance upon alot of others to do ML raids and farm artifacts.
erm... for high-level raids you NEED RA's (determination, purge, majestic will, etc etc) and not all of them are cheap ... and to get the full efficiency from your armor and weapons you HAVE to be RR5 as there is NO way to get the full AF and DPS from pure PvE ... it takes longer to get RR5 than to reach a high ML (join a few raids and you're done ... AND you might even get some good items!) and get some artifact encounter credit (you can buy unactivated artifacts, you can't buy RP's) ...

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Cracked said:
"advantage over others", that is what i dont like with the expansions so far, if it contained new items that made u a semigod in PvE, sure im all for it but plz dont destroy RvR more then they have. I was trying to explain by quoteing you that profit is ok, i will even pay to NOT get a new expansion if that expansion means creating new über loot that needs to be farmed.

PvE is dull, RvR is fun.

RvR can be fun until you've been run over by the FoTM gank groups for the third time in 30 minutes or picked off by the 6 stealthers waiting for solo and duo people to come past, or just plain trampled by the 3fg+ running to camp tk or milegate.....

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Maybe the expansion is a zone where all the 8v8 gank group lovers can go play with themselves and have "fair" contests whilst leaving RvR to everyone else ;)

When a fotm group gets formed with all rr5+ players they all automatically get ported to a new dungeon with no mobs at all and only other fotm set up groups.

and whilst in there they automatically get optimum items and ra set ups as prescribed in the FoTM handbook.

Everyone would be happy then!

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Yaruar, i get the chills from your avatar. He does a funny thing to me :s

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Personally it makes me want to throw up, i've got a pad of post-its I use to cover it up every I see it. ;)

8v8 areas sounds like a great idea, but imo once the initial 'thrill' of it wears off they'll just move back to Emain and start complaining when people don't do things their way.

More people should use the RP filter, its great. Heres a few i'm using

/rpfilter add thanks for the help
/rpfilter ffs i've got self-esteem issues
/rpfilter fo i'm feeling a little insecure at the moment, could I trouble you for a hug?

makes listening to some people a little long winded, but its worth it - makes for great screenies :)

Yussef

Fledgling Freddie
Archeon is a liar! fo is not the minimum three character's length!111

"add" to let me see that "ffs", by the way "fo"!

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
need ra's to be able to pve...... must be the stupidest thing i've heard today.

swords

Can't get enough of FH
Archeon said:
Personally it makes me want to throw up, i've got a pad of post-its I use to cover it up every I see it. ;)

8v8 areas sounds like a great idea, but imo once the initial 'thrill' of it wears off they'll just move back to Emain and start complaining when people don't do things their way.

More people should use the RP filter, its great. Heres a few i'm using

/rpfilter add thanks for the help
/rpfilter ffs i've got self-esteem issues
/rpfilter fo i'm feeling a little insecure at the moment, could I trouble you for a hug?

makes listening to some people a little long winded, but its worth it - makes for great screenies :)

/rpfilter Mid Michelle Phiefer
/rpfilter Hib Kylie Minogue

2FG Kylie Minogue INC AMG! tee hee :p

Damon_D

Fledgling Freddie
ROFL did you bother too browse the reviews ...

Here is a small bit

"" This is another wonderful expansion which will make you even more powerful! We received a lot of player feedback saying that it was unfair that artifacts were so easy to obtain and that scrolls farming was easy and made for a bland expansion. We also received a lot of feedback that the Master Levels were too easily obtained and should be more difficult and require more team work and more steps like ML2.10 and the pregnant snakes step of ML3. Eventhough we would leave these encounters bugged for months to intentionally slow down the players because they were passing our expansion entirely too quickly people still managed to pass this expansion! The players feedback also told us that they felt 80hours a week of PvE just simply was not enough and that more was needed to keep the game 'balanced'. ""

Calamore

Fledgling Freddie
Damon_D said:
ROFL did you bother too browse the reviews ...

Here is a small bit

"" This is another wonderful expansion which will make you even more powerful! We received a lot of player feedback saying that it was unfair that artifacts were so easy to obtain and that scrolls farming was easy and made for a bland expansion. We also received a lot of feedback that the Master Levels were too easily obtained and should be more difficult and require more team work and more steps like ML2.10 and the pregnant snakes step of ML3. Eventhough we would leave these encounters bugged for months to intentionally slow down the players because they were passing our expansion entirely too quickly people still managed to pass this expansion! The players feedback also told us that they felt 80hours a week of PvE just simply was not enough and that more was needed to keep the game 'balanced'. ""

rofl

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:
need ra's to be able to pve...... must be the stupidest thing i've heard today.
stupid on the same scale as "must have artifacts/ML's to pvp" tbh...

nothing holds you back from going RvR zones without any ToA gear and ML's .... NOTHING ... doesn't mean you'll survive long tho ...

same goes for example for dragon raids ... nothing holds you back to go on a raid without everyone having purge ... true ... but don't be surprised if you wipe 'coz someone was glared at while being stunned and unable to purge and run ...

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
stupid on the same scale as "must have artifacts/ML's to pvp" tbh...

nothing holds you back from going RvR zones without any ToA gear and ML's .... NOTHING ... doesn't mean you'll survive long tho ...

same goes for example for dragon raids ... nothing holds you back to go on a raid without everyone having purge ... true ... but don't be surprised if you wipe 'coz someone was glared at while being stunned and unable to purge and run ...

without artifacts/ml's you wont get rvr groups well in the future but even at rr1L1 you get to all pve raids

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:
without artifacts/ml's you wont get rvr groups well in the future but even at rr1L1 you get to all pve raids

Um. No you don't.

No Dragon Raids for me, cos I've got no purge.

Darzil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom