New dual core computer build. High CPU usage on idle.

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Daemon tools always used to create a hell of a lot of issues with Vista here, so stopped using it. I had similar problems due to that "legal rootkit" (can't remember the name now) that came on some softwares (TrackMania Nations) which used virtual device drivers and played havoc :(

That'd be starforce, there's a fix to get it working on Vista now, as I've got TMN on my laptop

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Well I think I've taken a small step forward, but am still frustrated.

I tried safe mode, but still had exactly the same problem.

As suggested I went through device manager turning off everything that would let me in turn. Nothing seemed to help until I got down top the USB stuff at the bottom of the list.

USB Composite Device and USB Root Hub didn't allow me to disable them, but there were 4 instances of 'VIA 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller' 3 of these allowed me to disable them, and when I did the one core usage dropped to 50%ish, a small victory indeed, but something.

As far as I can tell all my USB drivers are fully up to date, I have no idea where to go from here.

RB

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
dude, you need all that USB and stuffs? cos if you don't, disabling it in the BIOS is your friend :)

mumakil

Fledgling Freddie
Well I think I've taken a small step forward, but am still frustrated.

I tried safe mode, but still had exactly the same problem.

As suggested I went through device manager turning off everything that would let me in turn. Nothing seemed to help until I got down top the USB stuff at the bottom of the list.

USB Composite Device and USB Root Hub didn't allow me to disable them, but there were 4 instances of 'VIA 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller' 3 of these allowed me to disable them, and when I did the one core usage dropped to 50%ish, a small victory indeed, but something.

As far as I can tell all my USB drivers are fully up to date, I have no idea where to go from here.

RB

RB, I think now you should check your hardware, as I previously said, some people had the problem because of damaged hardware (maybe RAM) or partially connected/rusty/moist system add-on cards or even bad inner cables/connectors.

Once I had a memory problem and the support guy simply used a rubber to clean the connections and everything worked fine.

Is the USB an add-on card or is it onboard?

I hope you solve your problem soon.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I don't have much else to add.

Other than of course pointing out that as per the previous post, Moist is a fantastic word.

It is in fact my favourite ever word.

Moist.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Many thanks to everyone who has offered advice, suggestions or just condolences in this thread. Some may be pleased to know that the problem has now, rather bizarrely resolved.

I say bizarrely as ultimately I still don't really know what the cause was, and therefore am slightly concerned that it may reappear, but for now all is good.

I had unplugged both the IDE cables, one for the DVD drive and the other for the floppy drive that although an anachronism was already in the case and so I'd plugged it in anyway. I'd even unplugged the front USB port wires, non of these things had any effect except to make the PC hang on startup to tell us that the floppy drive was missing.

I was still considering my next move whn Sharon decided that she wanted to use the machine, so I just plugged everything back in, returning it to exactly it's previous state, and lo and behold, no hardware interrupts, just 99% CPU idle!

So thanks once again for the help that led me to inadvertently mend the PC, I couldn't have done it without you, and Sharon says thank you as well.

RB

Embattle

FH is my second home
It could of been nothing more than something loose or not properly fitted, but at least it's now sorted.

mumakil

Fledgling Freddie
Very nice that you fixed it, it really looks like it was a bad hardware connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom