New DaoC moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tilda

Ziva said:
After Belsameth laying her mod bat down we started looking for a successor for her which offcourse is impossible since Bels is one of a kind ;)

However, we have found a great guy who will no doubt do a good job aswell. He will be a welcome asset to the moderator team.
So please welcome Sharma as new DaoC moderator and be nice to him :fluffle:

And Bels, thank you for all the effort you made on these forums. I hope you will find a nice way to spend your time and don't become a stranger so keep posting hehe.
<cheers>

It 'twas a tough task indeed to choose a sucessor.
Congratulations Sharma!

Tilda

frogster said:
Grow up? For voicing a SHARED opinion? This is a discussion board no? I never said he "cracked" the servers. He did however take "advantage of the tools given to him" to help cause, as i mentioned before, thousands of pounds in revenue loss.
These are simple facts. I dont dislike Sharma, i talk to him on IRC.
What concerns me is, Moderators can view the i.p's of the accounts connected to the forum no? What if he takes "advantage of the tools given to him" to have a nosey around my pc?

And yeah, even i fuck up, but when i do i apologise for it.
I'm sorry you'r barking up the wrong tree here.
Normal Mods (DAoC ones) can't view your IP so don't get antsy.

Tilda

Tilda

BlitheringIdiot said:
First thought was 'Lol, so retarded, lets just pick mods who are our friends!'

But sharma did a good enough job over on FFXI forums so perhaps he wont be so bad. Good luck :)

Out of interest though how many of our mods actually still play the game?
I do !

Spesh

Fledgling Freddie
Sharma smells of cheese.

I know this cos i keep getting licked by sharma in irc.

I demand a compulsory toothbrush!

/farts on Sharma

hi!

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Pfff Spesh! :p

Ive been flushed down your loo i mean....ewwww... :p

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Sharma said:
I play Prydwen, my main two realms thus far have been Albion and Midgard, level 43 wizard/50 friar and a level 50 Berserker/45 Healer, im the process of leveling a new char at the present. :)

How come you didn't get banned by Goa?
Disgraceful if you didn't imo.

Ayana

Fledgling Freddie
chretien said:

That record is SO broken.

Oh, and congrats Sharma. :p

PS. You still suck!

Solarius

Fledgling Freddie
chretien said:

If I remember rightly, he was banned, (it wasn't a permanent ban though, not saying he deserved such however!). He also had his characters deleted.

Harsh enough penalty imo for the person who, yes abused the tools he was given access too, but also was the one who alerted GOA to the vunerability.

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Solarius said:
If I remember rightly, he was banned, (it wasn't a permanent ban though, not saying he deserved such however!). He also had his characters deleted.

Harsh enough penalty imo for the person who, yes abused the tools he was given access too, but also was the one who alerted GOA to the vunerability.

sharma didnt alet goa Laroma did that and thats the one who get banned. afaik Sharma only was hardly involved in the whole matter, except for the prydwen incident where emain turned into a pve dungeon :).

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sharma's record with GOA is clean and that's good enough for me.

Grats Sharma :)

Belsameth

Tainted
jesus, get over it already.
besides that I (and most of the other mods as well) know Sharma for ages now, his record was also checked up with GOA. they didn't have any problems with it, and neither did we.
besides that, as Yoni pointed out, who doesn't have a skeleton or 2 in their closet?
or are you all with a 100% clear consience, and therefore have the right to judge Sharma on 1 mistake he made ages ago?

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
If you actually note who is complaining, its mostly only the usual forum trolls that complain over everything from the slightest glitch in DAoC to the fact that rain is wet.

Wouldn't worry overly. Sharma will do a great job :)

Belsameth

Tainted
*fluffles Roo*

the whiners still manage to get to me from time to time, even tho I should know better :)

Sissyfoo

Fledgling Freddie
Belsameth said:
besides that I (and most of the other mods as well) know Sharma for ages now, his record was also checked up with GOA. they didn't have any problems with it, and neither did we.
besides that, as Yoni pointed out, who doesn't have a skeleton or 2 in their closet?
or are you all with a 100% clear consience, and therefore have the right to judge Sharma on 1 mistake he made ages ago?

I don't! My closet is skelly free!!

...if you don't believe me go in and have a look for yourself.

~gets ready to flood the closet with poison nerve gas~

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
Belsameth said:

Sharma seems like a nice person, however I've only spoken to him once in IRC after the GOA server hacking incident he was involved with. You could hardly have chosen a more controversial person to be a mod though, especially when he was involved in the single biggest downtime and all around hassle that DAoC has ever faced (hey it got onto slashdot as well). You are acting suprised that this massively controversial choice has gotten an underwhelming response and so I can only think that you are deluded by friendship or stupid :)

I would like to nominate kr0n for the next moderator job. It would be great to see how you could rule him out of the position and still let Sharma stay.

chretien

Fledgling Freddie
Belsameth said:
If he'd abused an ingame bug, people would be jumping all over him and to be honest I see no difference between what he did and using geometry holes in realm borders to take a walk in another realms heartland or lag jumping up DF stairs. I'd expect a mod on a high profile forum such as this to be a model of integrity, something which Sharma falls far short of as he's demonstrated publically that he cannot resist taking advantage of a situation. I'm astonished at the people defending him as I know some of them (Jupitus, Roo for example) have the same low-tolerance towards cheaters and bug-abusers that I do.
Don't know the guy but I judge people on what they do, not what they say and I'm afraid I'll always think of him as a cheating abuser. If Goa say that's fine then that's their business but frankly I'm appalled.
And yes Belsameth I can honestly, hand on heart say 100% that I have never cheated, knowingly abused a bug or 'undocumented feature', nor have I ever made it my business to ruin someone elses play time through my grandstanding.

Loxleyhood

Fledgling Freddie
My opinions on both Sharma's moderating 'skills' and behaviour in game are well known.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I don't have a problem with Sharma based on past history.

I firmly believe in the reasons someone doing something being an extremely important factor. Now, before I go further, I'm not saying that so long as you meant well, you can get away with murder. I'm not saying that at all. But some of the things pointed out in above posts were examples of deliberate malicious behaviour where the intent was to harm either individuals or groups of players because of personal grudges.

I do not believe Sharma to be like this and that the silliness he was involved in was out of naivity, rather than malice. Sharma got involved in something silly, but not out of any desire to harm anyone.

Further, its a mod job. Lets face it, all that happens is if you start flaming or going over the top the mod locks or deletes the thread or post. Not exactly changing the future course of civilisation.

Yes, its a controversial choice in some ways, but I believe most of the people complaining have personal grudges and are using this as an excuse to take a pop. I'm not fooled for one second into believing its because of any real outrage in the incident with the DAoC servers.

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
How Ironic Roo

You tar an entire realm "Cheating Lame Asses" and "Arseholes" based on the actions of a few individuals.
Yet, when other people point out past indiscressions of a specific individual they are Whiners and Forums Trolls with personal grudges.

As i stated, 1) i dont have a problem with Sharma, i have spoken to him both in game and on IRC since the hacking incident. 2) I have considerably less posts than you, troll. 3) Bar my subtle digs at the patching process, im whine free.

My concerns were over him being able to view my IP, since then i found out he cant. Atleast according to Ziva, i think.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Ah Froggy, if you recall I apologised for that later in same thread mate, so you're being a bit selective there yourself ;)

Actually, even there, my fury was over the cheating of some to the selfish advantage of a team of players.

The GM account thing was just... stupid - there was no real advantage to one side or another due to it. Don't think anyone would deny that.

Not particularly impressed at being called Troll though. None of my 50s were trolls ;)

If my comments make people stop taking pointless pops at the new mod, then job done. Sorry if there is some crossfire that offends people.

I've given worse than Sharma second chances. Lots worse.

Why don't you let Sharma get on with it and watch to see if a good job gets done?

After all, isn't that what it should really be about?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
chretien said:
I'm astonished at the people defending him as I know some of them (Jupitus, Roo for example) have the same low-tolerance towards cheaters and bug-abusers that I do.

<snip>

Don't know the guy <snip>

I do have a low tolerance for cheats and bug abusers, and it is well known from my history on DAOC boards aswell as ingame. I do now know Sharma and feel he is a good choice as a moderator. I am able to let people have a chance to leave their errors in the past and try again.

FreddysHouse has no corporate ties and run these DAOC boards without support from GOA. Even if Sharma had been in GOAs bad books he would still have probably been the best person for the job, and would most likely have been given it. If people don't like him being a DAOC mod then they can set up their own boards and choose their own mods. :kissit: ;)

Addlcove

Fledgling Freddie
jupe your avatar... is it two lions?

or a monkey giving itself a blowjob?

BlitheringIdiot

One of Freddy's beloved
A certain other DAoC mod has been in similar circumstances, rolling and almost winning a very rare shield in a sidi raid which he didnt attend. Im not bringing this up to shit stir, fact is our mods arent angels - none of us are.

No I dont believe sharma is the best person for the job, and I do believe a large part of his getting modship was to do with his friendship with the current mods and big high up people.

But this is just a forum, and not one that has ties to GOA, if they want to choose their friends as mods then they sure as hell can, if they want to pick people with shady pasts then they can do that too.

As I see it all the current mods do do a great job, and if they choose sharma to do the same job thne I trust that they believe he can do it just as well. I dont see what else matters really.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
ok a few words here:

1] This is not just about the game its about people who can Mod. Modding isn't cut out for everyone it takes patience and an understanding of a situation or a will to find out about a situation before taking action. Sharma has already proved he had these whilst modding for game.net a subsidiary of a PLC.

2] This is not company we do not wear suits (well not whilst we are moderating these forums) and as forum users we have been invited here by Deebs and TTD to continue growing our various communities. Sharma becoming a mod was discussed at length on the mods forums where people expressed their concerns, the backlash of the DAOC community being one of them, and it was decided by the current DAOC Mods / TTD that Sharma was a suitable choice.

3] When I spoke about skeletons in closets this did not just refer to cheating in games. This referred to all aspects of your lives. How many of you stole from your local sweetie shop when you were a kid, how many of you have smoked illegal substances, how many of you bought alchohol before you were legally allowed to or cigarettes the list can go on and on. If you tell me that you have never done anything wrong in your existence then "Jolly well done" and you may want to question your self honesty. Someone very close to me was charged with grand larceny; they were given a chance in life and became a highly paid fraud officer, because they knew what and where to look for trouble.

Sharma is a good person if you do not believe me get to know him before you make assumptions about his character and decide he is a bad penny.

If any one has any issues with the choice of mod I would ask that you pm either myself / Jupitus / TedTheDog or Deebs. Any more trolling on this subject and this thread will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom