New Case

megadave

I am a FH squatter
my new gfx card doesnt fit my current case, what a cunt :D

Buying a case seems like a pain in the arse, i cant fathom why someone would want neon colouring and LED lights and shit

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
For the same reason they put them on cars...they are douchebags.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
A lot of cases are fucking useless at the moment, the older ones at least :/ unless you're handy at DIY modding the new gfx cards simply do not fit in them because of the fucking size cards are getting to now (if I threw my 7970 at someone it would literally kill them its that big/heavy)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Well, intelligently designed cases (cough Lian-Li cough) make provisions for longer cards by having the 5.25" drive cage extending below where the top 2 pci slots would be on the motherboard so you can have the back end of the card poking into the cage if needs be (this is how my case rolls anyway).

I got the PC-7FNWX with a 140mm intake fan with a silly blue LED on it, I just replaced that fan with a 140mm BeQuiet SilentWings 2 (iirc) a few weeks ago. Better fan + no stupid lights = win.

Kryten

Old Cow.
This is why I like my case - smallest full ATX case available and still plenty of room for silly length cards (lian-li a05nb). And it's reverse ATX too so sits nicely on my shelf :D

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have no idea who makes my case, cannot remember, but I know it will take any size PS and graphics cards. This case will last forever!

Gray

FH is my second home
I had a Chieftec model-case for my second computer, it was innovative in a way that it had a slide-hard drive bay, you screw the harddrives onto these plastic bars and then "slot" them into place. It was a brilliant idea overall.

Except, years later, the fucking plastic deteoriates, when i tried taking the hard drives out the bastard plastic kept snapping on each of the plastic bars.

I have a NZXT Hush now though, so far so good with that.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
I need to find a low cost case that can hold a huge gpu and looks plain , seems difficult.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Ended up going with the Maelstrom, the dimensions on the case + the huge side fan were the seller for me + it had some good video reviews :p shalt take some pictures when I get all the shit fitted inside to show off zee space, should arrive today (ordered it off Amazon, was only £73 from there + free next day delivery)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Well just finished putting stuff into the new case and I must say the space is phenomenal, I could literally fit 4-5 7970's into this case and still have room to spare its that big.

Time to test the temps under load

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Not bad, 68c on the GPU max underload with BF3 @ Ultra settings, 32-36 on the CPU.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Can anyone recommend a decent case + psu combo? Gpu requires atleast 550W and i've got a headache looking at so many cases :p I dont want to go too far over £100 if i can :/

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
do NOT buy the silencio unless you have a good water cooler, its fucking shit... its sitting under my bed a the moment, temps are terrible with it unless you have a decent water cooler :l its airflow is piss poor.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
The lack of real airflow is what prevented me buying it earlier but i was still considering it, thanks for the warning.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
What I mean is, would it fit one of the new graphics cards which are pretty long. I struggled to fit one in my old case a few years ago (which seemed about that size) and they are even bigger now.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I have a CM 430 Elite i don't think it's much bigger if at all and my GTX 670 fits nicely inside

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
What I mean is, would it fit one of the new graphics cards which are pretty long. I struggled to fit one in my old case a few years ago (which seemed about that size) and they are even bigger now.

I've got one of those jobbies that takes up a double slot of space... fits no problem.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
That's height though, not length. The top end cards (Radeon 59xx, 69xx etc) seem to have been getting longer and longer these past few years. I have a 5870 and it wouldn't fit in my case if it didn't poke into the internal 5.25" drive cage a tiny bit.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Well, it comfortably fits a 5770 with plenty of room to spare. I reckon I could make it fit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom