Motoring New Car

Laddey

FH is my second home
Looking for a used car for around 7-10k. Been looking at the SRi/SXi 3 door astra 1.9 CDTI. Can get one as low as 18k miles for around 8k.

Any suggestions? Wanting something sporty and quick.

Maybe even a volvo.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Looking for a used car for around 7-10k. Been looking at the SRi/SXi 3 door astra 1.9 CDTI. Can get one as low as 18k miles for around 8k.

Any suggestions? Wanting something sporty and quick.

Maybe even a volvo.

My folks have a 2007 Astra 1.8 SRi, seem to love it; quiet, no rattles, reasonable to service, never had a problem with it. The seats are a bit hard in it though.

Honest reasonable nearly new car imo.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
A sporty diesel.

Diesel. Sporty.

Ok.....

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
A sporty diesel.

Diesel. Sporty.

Ok.....

300px-Neckarsulm-AudiForum-Audi-R10-TDI.jpg

Wij

I am a FH squatter
If my next job is a fair drive then I might wanna look at selling my ST170 again.

:( (wub)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Some of the best affordable cars with abit of speed are diesels, VAG diesels are awesome in paticular, anyone who disagree's hasn't driven a 150+bhp one

Much more usable power than any midlife crisis sportscar and twice the mpg

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Not sure I could go back to driving an economical car. Too used to driving gas guzzlers after 10 years in the Middle East. Also safer with the mad driving out here, especially during Ramadan!

Currently driving a Toyota FJ Stealth. Driven the Astra SRi in UK as a hire car and it was nice, not particularly quick but a handled well enough. Audio A3 is way better but probably double the price.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Not sure I could go back to driving an economical car. Too used to driving gas guzzlers after 10 years in the Middle East. Also safer with the mad driving out here, especially during Ramadan!

Currently driving a Toyota FJ Stealth. Driven the Astra SRi in UK as a hire car and it was nice, not particularly quick but a handled well enough. Audio A3 is way better but probably double the price.

Inside of the A3 is gobbing as well, proper cheap plastic looking.

I loved my first car which was mondeo sport that was a diesel and it was very nippy and lovely to drive. Cost me 9 grand with 8k on the clock, shame the fly wheel was constantly fucking up but what can you do :p

I now have a golf which I love!!! It's a diesel and also very nippy. I also had to replace the ECU on my Golf :( no luck with cars at all!

old.user4556

Some of the best affordable cars with abit of speed are diesels, VAG diesels are awesome in paticular, anyone who disagree's hasn't driven a 150+bhp one

They're not very exciting though; a big wallop of torque and that's it. If that's what you like, then fair enough.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

This is a load of old drivel I am afraid. I spent ages driving Golf GTD's with my old job and the engine was nothing to write home about, fairly quick but nothing my 15 year old rustbucket couldn't deal with. Economy wise I got about 45 to the g on the m to the way, but in the same conditions my 328i will do 36 quite happily. Plus the diesel VAG had nothing to offer below 2000 rpm and sounded a bag of spanners.

If you must drive a diseasal look at the BMW models, they are acceptable, still not a patch on their petrol models. If I had the OP's budget I would be considering

BMW 130i
BMW 330Ci Sport
VW Golf GTi Mk5
Renault Clio Sport
Alfa GT V6
Lotus Elise
Porsche Boxster
BMW M5 if you're feeling brave
BMW M3 if you aren't
etc

There is so much performance metal out there for silly cheap prices that won't break the bank to maintain. A diesel Astra? Pulease.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It's all about the M to the way, innit bra.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
320 d are nice but very pricey

Not necessarily, a 330d could be had for 7k, a nice one too. A 330i would be a far more sensible purchase however, a nice engine, with less potential for scary bills (like all modern diesels).

Punishment

Resident Freddy
The main problem with modern diesels is the computer gubbins that tend to go wrong every few years, nasty stuff tbh

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Inside of the A3 is gobbing as well, proper cheap plastic looking.

What?! Slightly boring looking maybe, but the quality of the materials in any Audi, including the A3, is pretty much the best in the market. You can criticise Audis for lots of things, but "cheap plastic" isn't one of them.

They're not very exciting though; a big wallop of torque and that's it. If that's what you like, then fair enough.

Modern diesels are very much improved in that regard. The latest BMW engines in particular are lovely, not just "nice for a diesel", but usually the best choice in the range. Five years ago I wouldn't have even looked at a diesel, but you're kind of mad not to these days, if only because of C02 tax, but also because of the kind of driving people actually do in the real world. Petrol and diesel engines are getting more similar, as petrols all get smaller and go turbocharged (even the M BMWs are going down that road).

the inside will be lush, but it's too heavy in the front. tbh imo wtf bbq if you have to get a v6 alfa then get a Brera

Have you actually driven a Brera? I test drove one when I had my 350Z, they're great-looking, but they seem to have been built from solid Osmium; even that lovely V6 struggled to drag all that weight around, and the handling was crap. Real disappointment.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Lotus Elise. 45mpg on the commute, 0-60 in under 6 seconds, and the best fun you can have with your clothes on.

I've had mine for 7 years now and would rather sell my left bollock than the car.

old.user4556

Modern diesels are very much improved in that regard. The latest BMW engines in particular are lovely, not just "nice for a diesel", but usually the best choice in the range. Five years ago I wouldn't have even looked at a diesel, but you're kind of mad not to these days, if only because of C02 tax, but also because of the kind of driving people actually do in the real world. Petrol and diesel engines are getting more similar, as petrols all get smaller and go turbocharged (even the M BMWs are going down that road).

Don't get me wrong Gaff, modern diesels are a massive leap forward from previous engines, but what I said was that they're not exciting and they aren't - not in the slightest. The 123d's engine is probably one of the best out there (in it's size class), it's a quick car, but it's loud and tractor like at idle and it still gives you that 1800 rpm wallop and changing gear what-feels-like way too soon. There is no satisfaction from hearing it red-line unlike the scream from a straight six or the growl from a V8. Even the V8 diesel in the Range Rover Sport sent me to sleep.

Real world "around town" will always suit a diesel, but you're talking to a guy that Ferrari's around the Highlands ;).

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Have you actually driven a Brera? I test drove one when I had my 350Z, they're great-looking, but they seem to have been built from solid Osmium; even that lovely V6 struggled to drag all that weight around, and the handling was crap. Real disappointment.

no, I haven't. I am going purely by the lovely looks. Still, I know it's like what...1600kg or something? that is indeed a bit naff :(

Laddey

FH is my second home
I've been driving 2 years from August the 6th.

I got quoted on an Golf R32 around £450 a month. Lol.

Thanks for your input chaps.

Influenza

Part of the furniture
Im gonna get a Civic Type R at the end of the year , not sure which one yet but i like the EP3 version more than the new ones.

Laddey

FH is my second home
A type R is a massive, massive possibility.

Red with black rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom