New Car Ideas!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What about an E-class?
MPG is gawd awful on that. And I find them ugly for some reason. I know I should consider mercs, as they hit all the points (apart from MPG) but they're a little vomworthy tbh :(

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
know the feeling I've been meaning to get a new one for the last 6 months. C63 AMG, Jag F Type and about 6 others that I like the look of. Keep putting the decision off.

You really can't help yourself can you?

DaGaffer

I'm wondering what's wrong with this? (other than colour (and diesel and therefore guilt I'd feel from owning it)).

I hate having to choose cars :(

Nowt wrong with the colour, mileage looks remarkably (suspiciously) low for 2006. Actually big diesels are fine; they're fit for purpose (lots of torque for hauling stuff); its the small diesels that are the real problem.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
But, BMW, rear wheel drive? What's Mickey gonna do when it's a bit snowy in Wales and he's in that car? Rear wheel drive is fun but fucking scary when the roads aren't the best.

DaGaffer

But, BMW, rear wheel drive? What's Mickey gonna do when it's a bit snowy in Wales and he's in that car? Rear wheel drive is fun but fucking scary when the roads aren't the best.

Ssshhh! It'll be funny.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

Drive it in reverse, problem solved.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time

I'm guessing a Civic Type R is going to be equally useless in the snow, and a set of winter tyres will get round that issue anyway.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Would a 5-series be too damn old man? @Bodhi?

Also very good cars, and I'm a big fan of the model of 5 series you'll be looking at. Probably a bit on the big side for my purposes but the most I ever have to carry is a suitcase or two and a set of golf clubs - but for your requirements they'd be perfect. Bit heavier on fuel than the 3 series no matter which engine you get, but loads more room.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...5-series-3-0-530i-m-sport-touring-5dr/5002020

That would be very tempting....

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Audis and Bm's are the new Mondeos, every dickwad has one, loads of really bland models and all they do is make some superficial cosmetic change to make the envious upgrade.
My wifes Citreon C1 is as smooth and as quick as my mates 730 diesel BM up to 80mph, does anyone chance any faster these days.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I'm guessing a Civic Type R is going to be equally useless in the snow, and a set of winter tyres will get round that issue anyway.
Nah mate, the Civic is pretty good (speaking from owning an Accord Type R which was slightly worse handling than the Civic), the problem is the lack of weight above the rear wheels. an X-Drive BMW would do or maybe lots of sandbags in the boot. My Lexus is rear wheel drive also *and* has a snow button to help but last year it was very scary when it snowed and I consider myself a decent driver, the only car I've had that was worse on bad weather roads was a Nissan Skyline GTS M Type (iirc).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
mileage looks remarkably (suspiciously) low for 2006
Yeah, I thought that too. But they can't fiddle mileage nowadays can they? Unless they can fiddle it before every MOT?

Yeah - the snow thing has given me pause for thought @Trem. My mate's 1-series is awful in it. I mean really bad. If we had more snow-filled days in Blighty it'd certainly be a sensible move for the gov. to ban them on safety grounds alone (or at least demand snow tyres).

The Type-R was surprisingly good in the snow @Bodhi. I once sailed down a very snow-laden M5 in the middle lane past about twenty miles of terrified tail-to-tail traffic in the left hand lane. A couple of times after passing people they moved out behind me because they could see the progress I was making in a relatively straight line over the snow - and one, a BMW, span straight into the central reservation :)

Edit:
That would be very tempting....
I'll probably not do the 5-series. MPG is worse than my Type-R was....

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How the fuck does this do 60+mpg whilst doing 0-60 in 7.2 seconds and a 140+ top speed, and only cost £30/year in car tax?

:boggles:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The mileage is generally bollocks and not tested to real world conditions. They pull out all the tricks to get it higher.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It only does 60mpg in a laboratory, on a rolling road. The real figure is much lower.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It only does 60mpg in a laboratory, on a rolling road. The real figure is much lower.
Yeah, I get that. But even if you lose 10 or even 15 mpg that's still pretty impressive.

It's also why I prolly won't be going 5-series. Their stated mileage is sub-30 before you take that into account...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

This is me on Monday, pulled in because I got stuck and had to put my snow socks on. Every other car passing no bother.

image.jpeg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This is me on Monday, pulled in because I got stuck and had to put my snow socks on. Every other car passing no bother.
We've barely had a frost yet.

I WANT SNOW GAWDDAMNIT!!! :eek:

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
How the fuck does this do 60+mpg whilst doing 0-60 in 7.2 seconds and a 140+ top speed, and only cost £30/year in car tax?

:boggles:

Scouse I have a 120d, it's 184 bhp and will do 0-60 in 7.2 secs. I drive it with a reasonably heavy right foot and average 50mpg (according to the car's own computer) - I'd say that was 60% motorway, 40% urban.

You'll see 60mpg and upwards motorway, but not combined.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, it's looking like they're going to have to strip the gearbox out, replace the release bearing and the clutch at a minimum.

I reckon that it's gonna cost me at least 750+ quid. On a car that I'd get maybe a grand (prolly less 'cause it's not in great nick) part ex.

However, I could throw away 750+ quid now, hopefully get a year's use out of it (if it holds together) and then part-ex it at a time of my choosing. Or I can blow ten or twelve grand this week, whilst I'm out of work.

Thoughts? :(

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
So, it's looking like they're going to have to strip the gearbox out, replace the release bearing and the clutch at a minimum.

I reckon that it's gonna cost me at least 750+ quid. On a car that I'd get maybe a grand (prolly less 'cause it's not in great nick) part ex.

However, I could throw away 750+ quid now, hopefully get a year's use out of it (if it holds together) and then part-ex it at a time of my choosing. Or I can blow ten or twelve grand this week, whilst I'm out of work.

Thoughts? :(

If you have the money to get a new one, may as well?

I mean, you most likely will be in a job by the time your car packs in again and you'll still spend 10 or 12 grand on a new one anyway, so why beat around the bush?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
A ten or twelve grand layout would leave me with very little safety margin. :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom