New Car Ideas!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, it looks like my Type-R is going to bite the dust.

I've loved that car. Been great to drive, cost hardly anything to service and maintain, been really reliable and it's carried two bikes, the bird, me, my tent and a shitload of equipment in the back when I've folded the seats down.

So, how do I follow that?

I'm not sure on budget (which makes things difficult) - definitely sub 10k though. I'd rather buy something (definitely not new) than lease (unless there's a compelling case to be made, but I doubt it - I spent £13.5k on the Type-R and in terms of owning it it's worked out about a grand a year).

What I need is:

1) Reliability.
2) The ability to carry shit.
3) Comfort (I will be commuting long distances)
4) Reasonably low running costs.
5) Reliability.

What I'd like is:

1) A bit of pep, responsive steering, fun.
2) Not a ford, vauxhaull, anything French or Italian.
3) Sub 8-second 0-60, I guess. Or in that area.

You guys know way more about cars than I do. I can drive 'em, I can pay for other people to maintain 'em, they get me from A to B (and it used to be a pleasurable experience until uk.gov fucked our roads with cameras everwhere - especially around Nottingham where it's average speed even in the countryside) - so HELP!

Why do my cars always break near xmas, when I'm out of a job? :(

And yes, I know there are other threads called this. :eek:

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Don't worry guys, I got this.

shopping

Fucking hippy.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Lol @Scouse has to fold the seats down to get his bird in the car.

(I'm sure helpful replies will follow)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
This should be fun.

*grabs popcorn*

*goes off to have a think for a more serious reply*

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Skoda Octavia VRS...estate guess. Cheap and reliable and is basically a cheap version of a golf, same engine and whatnot.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Have you thought about leasing? Longterm reliability ect start to matter less and less when the thing gets changed every two years for a new one. You time it right and you can get a hell of a lot of car for the money. I am currently waiting for a deal on a Seat Leon around March. There were some fantastic sub £100 deals on pre registered ones around September.

old.user4556

You asked for:

What I need is:

1) Reliability.
2) The ability to carry shit.
3) Comfort (I will be commuting long distances)
4) Reasonably low running costs.
5) Reliability.

What I'd like is:

1) A bit of pep, responsive steering, fun.
2) Not a ford, vauxhaull, anything French or Italian.
3) Sub 8-second 0-60, I guess. Or in that area.

I give you:

1) Reliability - debatable on how "reliable", but no turbos to blow and the engine and gearbox will be solid
2) It's a tourer / estate with roof rails, so that's shit loads of space
3) It's got lovely M Sport seats and the driving position is ace
4) Hmmm, a three litre straight six won't give you reasonably low running costs
5) Again, how reliable? Jap reliable?

1) Pep - plenty here, sporty rear wheel drive
2) Tick !
3) How does "about 6 seconds" do?

£10,000

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201511188798067

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Skoda Octavia VRS...estate guess. Cheap and reliable and is basically a cheap version of a golf, same engine and whatnot.
I'd considered that, but there's something in my gut that says "no". And I ain't going to undermine my gut, or I'll end up changing cars two years down the line because of silly emotional dissatisfaction.

Have you thought about leasing?
Yeah, as I said. At that price it's just not worth it for the car I could get.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Audi RS6!

Early ones can be bought for under 10 grand and they are really cheap to run*

*possible lie.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You asked for:

I give you:

1) Reliability - debatable on how "reliable", but no turbos to blow and the engine and gearbox will be solid
2) It's a tourer / estate with roof rails, so that's shit loads of space
3) It's got lovely M Sport seats and the driving position is ace
4) Hmmm, a three litre straight six won't give you reasonably low running costs
5) Again, how reliable? Jap reliable?

1) Pep - plenty here, sporty rear wheel drive
2) Tick !
3) How does "about 6 seconds" do?

£10,000

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201511188798067

That is spooky - I was just about to say if you can get a feisty 3 series touring model I loved mine and really miss it now, and that was just the 2.5 litre !!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You asked for:
I kinda did. But I think I'd feel depressed if I ended up with a 3-series. I've actually considered 1-series and 5-series before now, but been skipping the 3's because I meet too many cunts with them.

But that "gut feeling" of "no" isn't there, so...

I don't think I need to go full retard on the performance - the 330 would be overkill tbh. I'd rather get something slightly smaller engined and newer. Certainly sub 50k mileage if I could wangle it...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'd considered that, but there's something in my gut that says "no". And I ain't going to undermine my gut, or I'll end up changing cars two years down the line because of silly emotional dissatisfaction.

Lad at work has one from new and before that had one from new. Goes like shit off a stick and should be reasonably cheap. The dash, engine and interior are basically Golf GTI parts but slightly bigger.

old.user4556

Lad at work has one from new and before that had one from new. Goes like shit off a stick and should be reasonably cheap. The dash, engine and interior are basically Golf GTI parts but slightly bigger.

Agreed - my colleague has an Octavia VRS and it's almost identical to the Golf. Lovely car. My only issue would be finding one for under £10k that hasn't been touched inappropriately or driven hard.

My personal advice would be to go for a non-turbo lump at that price / age / mileage, but i'm naturally risk averse.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Jan - mar os when importers have to reach their targets for year end so can get good deals if buying new

Private Leasing has taken off massively in scandiland especially with the maintenance + winter tyres included

But they often limit your annual mileage so that wouldnneed to be tailored to your needs

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That 1-series is tempting but again, I could prolly do with a lesser engine. I'd end up going through a set of rears a year. ;) Mate of mine says volvo. But then he's just had a kid...

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Mazda 3 MPS!

PS. I have never owned one. I have a 1.6 Mazda3 atm and it averaged 35 mph on the way to London which is fucking dog shit. But I really like the car, hasn't let me down yet.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What about an E-class?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca...ance-7g-tronic-5dr-dunmow-fpa-201511289072180

That year should be comfortably out of the "omg the body is made of pure rust" zone (about 1995 - 2005). It's a supremely comfortable car, trust me I do some mileage and Mercedes are excellent on the motorway. Very little steering input required to keep them in a straight line, which makes a big difference on long routes. It won't handle like a sports car and will be a bit of a boat, but in a straight line it won't hang around. Mine was a previous generation (1997 W210 chassis). This is a W211.

You'll get shitloads in the boot. You could go for diesel but that's depending on mileage. If you do less than 10,000 a year I wouldn't bother, I'd stick to petrol. Servicing costs are fine, no need to visit a dealer unless you need Mercedes parts, and even then they're not all that expensive. Certainly cheaper than a Lexus, put it that way.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Volvo...Functional.

There's a new Volvo being released as we speak, has a new V8, comfort mixed with muscle. Can't remember the model. Though, new Volvo's are expensive as hell, but sell for shit value, be warned.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I'd go with the 330I Touring but I'd also try to find one of the hen's teeth manuals - much better to drive and better on fuel. I wouldn't bother with the smaller petrol models - the 320i isn't a great engine, and the 325i is the same engine as the 330i but detuned, so it has the same running costs as the 330i for less go.

The 330i is a lovely car, perfect for pootling around, then immense fun when the opportunity arises. Also probably BMW's most reliable recent engine, no real known faults.

If you do go down the BMW route I'd definitely suggest getting one of the non-turbo sixes before they disappear, fantastic to drive and great soundtrack. They only do turbos now, which have lost some of the magic :(

Trem

Mazda 3 MPS!

PS. I have never owned one. I have a 1.6 Mazda3 atm and it averaged 35 mph on the way to London which is fucking dog shit. But I really like the car, hasn't let me down yet.
I had a Mazda 6 MPS.....it exploded.

I am also looking for a car and for me it has to be 4 wheel drive next, I can highly recommend the Lexus though. Maybe an IS225?

soze

I am a FH squatter
Volvo V40 is the best company car I have ever driven it was so comfortable. It had plenty of go and everything felt so refined. It is a sensible car with sensible speed. It will not make your nuts tighten with excitement though.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I had a Mazda 6 MPS.....it exploded.

I am also looking for a car and for me it has to be 4 wheel drive next, I can highly recommend the Lexus though. Maybe an IS225?
It did? Shit, haha.

Mazda 6 MPS's look a bit wank to me anyway, 3's look much nicer and that's what matters, right?!

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Bit OT, sorry @Scouse, but my parents had a Mazda 626 when I was growing up. It got stolen twice but was the police found it both times and it was returned. So one time my mom had to drive us some where so we all got in the car and strapped in while she was putting some stuff in the trunk. Before putting stuff in she realised that the things in the trunk weren't ours.. And the colour of the car was a bit off, wasn't it? She checked the plate and it wasn't our fucking car! She used our car key to open some other Mazda parked two spaces from ours!

My dad talked to the police the second time it disappeared and the copper was like "oh it's a 626? Yeah, people usually open them up with any random key and drive home if they can't be bothered walking, we see it all the time"

Trem

It did? Shit, haha.

Mazda 6 MPS's look a bit wank to me anyway, 3's look much nicer and that's what matters, right?!
Yeah, *common fault* apparently, once fixed it was a special car in every way. The 6 has better 4 wheel drive than the 3 and the 3 looks a little bland to me, would still have a fully forged one though.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Yeah, *common fault* apparently, once fixed it was a special car in every way. The 6 has better 4 wheel drive than the 3 and the 3 looks a little bland to me, would still have a fully forged one though.
I have heard some horror stories about the diesel Mazda 6's like. Be a while before I'll be getting a new car anyway and I fancy something totally impractical next :p

Trem

I have heard some horror stories about the diesel Mazda 6's like. Be a while before I'll be getting a new car anyway and I fancy something totally impractical next :p
Audi RS6!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom