Motoring New Car Ideas?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Road Tax, Insurance and Petrol make them less lolworthy though.
ah, but you forget I have to pay lolworthy RT and petrol over here as is, that and the cars being twice as expensive. Only thing that's semi decent is the insurance.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Honda Civic Type R, drove one yesterday and loved it

Had one for 9 years now (52reg). Get 330 miles from a £60 tank regardless of whether I do 75 or 100 miles an hour. Really easy to drive normally (to hammer it you need to be revving 6000+), loads of space for your shit, ultra reliable.

Downsides? Tyre noise is loud and AFAIK every single owner has problems with feathering on the inside of the rear tyres that can make cabin noise quickly become almost unbearable (after a few thousand miles on the tyres). Just had a bit of work done to see if I can correct it, it seems to have mitigated it somewhat but not done too far yet. Considered selling over it but it's been so damn great in every other resepct that I can't bring myself to do it.

Oh, it does look a little chavvy tho. But not too much. :)

Need a new car for the girlfriend. Her ages old pos died on Friday. Been camping in the lakes for the weekend (monstered scafell pike then had an epic mountain bike ride the next day - sore as fuck) - the type-r did me proud in carrying everything I needed and more. Back to the realisation that we need something:

A) Reliable
B) Cost effective on fuel
C) Nippy
D) Reasonably spacious
E) Still quite cool

to replace her car. She wants a golf (knows of no other type of car tbh). I need options ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
An MX-5 ticks all those boxes (the boot is quite big). And to the detractors, try driving one before you knock it. They're not recipients of universal praise for nothing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
An MX-5 ticks all those boxes

She'd love one. I forgot to mention that her budget (the most important thing) is going to be a couple of grand less than trem's.

Are good ones going to be available for 4-5k or will they be the ones on the shitheap?

Killswitch

FH is my second home
10 miles a day...I'd be tempted to get the smallest, cheapest car I could get away with, ideally one with low insurance and low/zero road-tax. Then I'd buy something mental for buzzing around in at weekends. I'm not sure that a car exists that caters for high-MPG commuting and license-losing lunacy in one package. If it's got to be one car and it has to be usable for commuting, family outings AND ruining expensive tyres within 4 weeks, maybe something like an Astra/Insignia VXR? Or pick up an old M3/M5 and make friends with a good mechanic!

Tom

I am a FH squatter
She'd love one. I forgot to mention that her budget (the most important thing) is going to be a couple of grand less than trem's.

Are good ones going to be available for 4-5k or will they be the ones on the shitheap?

You can get a good mk1 MX-5 for a grand, just depends what you want to spend. For 4-5k you'll get a belting mk2. They're simple little things, 1.6 or 1.8 4-cylinder engine, dead easy to work on. Parts are very cheap, there's loads of enthusiasts knocking around so things like body panels, wheels, seats, etc - they're all out there.

The only common faults I'm aware of are rust between the doors and rear wheel arches, usually caused by blocked drainage channels. That's an easy one to check though.

My sister bought one about 5-6 years back. She was going to get a Nissan Micra but I asked her to consider something a bit different. She absolutely loves the car, she's a total convert. In fact sometimes I wish she'd shut up about the stupid thing! :D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Aye. But still, less than 30mpg isn't an "economical" box ticked really :(

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Depends on the mileage done tbh, under 15,000 it won't hurt that much compared to the funfactor

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fair point. I'll put it down as an option then. Still need more tho :)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Another vote for the MX-5, great wee car. Not that quick, but easy on the gas as a result. Handling is great, it's very much about the fun factor.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Do prepared to be photoshopped looking like a massive gay if you get one though, just ask Summo what happened when he bought one.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
7k will get you a lot of performance metal these days, if buying a BMW is not an option then I would be looking at one of

1) Alfa 147 GTA (just for that engine)
2) Vauxhall Monaro
3) Porsche Boxster.

Erm and that's about it. Embrace the Blue Propellor however, and you would have a choice of a 130i, an E46 330Ci, an E36 M3 Evo, or if you're feeling particularly brave, an E39 M5. There are also many Alpina options to consider too. All of which will be a thoroughly lovely way to travel around Staffordshire.

I've recently picked up an E46 330d SE for around 3.5K. Commuting from Stafford to Dudley meant I could use a dag dag, and this one came up with a good spec for a good price. Was sad to see the old 328i go, but it was complaining about doing 600 miles a week at its elderly stage of life, so I took mercy on it and flogged it to someone to use for trackdays. The new one is fantastic, apart from the engine. Yes its economical (40mpg isnt too bad for a 3 litre), and it shifts, but it doesn't sound particularly appealling and I'm continuously listening out for something going bang. Back to petrol next methinks.....I fancy a 130i :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Anyone who buys an E39 M5 for £7k is an idiot.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
And a raped wallet when it goes wrong. Which at £7k it will.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I had a 2.0 '97 S40 that was bloody fantastic. Brilliant fuel economy too. Did around 300 Miles on a tank. The turbo will help as well.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Judging by "The Thread" on PH I would say an M5 will rape your wallet no matter what the cost, hence me pointing out "If you're feeling brave".

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I was going to say, M servicing is never cheap. If one is considering it, at least look for one that's just had an inspection 2 for reasonable piece of mind. Personally, I'd not touch an M at that money.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I drive an 06 Saab 9-3 saloon. I can get 700 motorway miles or 400 town miles on a tank. Unfortunately it also drives like a tank. :(

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It's fairly irrelevant saying how much you can get out of a tank, if you don't state how much a full tank is in your car.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Went into the credit union enquiring about a car loan, they tried to give me 10,000 euros on the spot i told her to relax and i would be back in 6 weeks :p

Lol Ireland

Killswitch

FH is my second home
It's fairly irrelevant saying how much you can get out of a tank, if you don't state how much a full tank is in your car.

I believe it's 58 litres which would make 700 miles a smidge under 55mpg.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The hairdresser's MX5 is probably off. She took one for a test drive and tho she liked it it's probably too small for her needs. Other, more practical, suggestions? (From a non-petrolhead perspective - I've got my Type-R and she doesn't need that)...

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
The hairdresser's MX5 is probably off. She took one for a test drive and tho she liked it it's probably too small for her needs. Other, more practical, suggestions? (From a non-petrolhead perspective - I've got my Type-R and she doesn't need that)...

Cooper S?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Gay :(

Gonna be something standard. Like a Golf or summat. Just need to know what's reliable and a good buy tbfh. They're all much of a muchness to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom