TV New BBC sci-fi - Outcasts

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
2nd episode... Flakey, I'll still watch it, but it's full of poor and lazy scripting.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I think what bothers me is that they have taken al the great sci-fi themes and tried to bundle them.

We've got the cut off colony, the mad scientist, the self serving holy man, the reformed killer, the out of control military, clones, a whole heap of morality issues, implied alien presences. They haven't done any of these particularly well so far, and I worry about the direction they intend to go in.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I think what bothers me is that they have taken al the great sci-fi themes and tried to bundle them.

We've got the cut off colony, the mad scientist, the self serving holy man, the reformed killer, the out of control military, clones, a whole heap of morality issues, implied alien presences. They haven't done any of these particularly well so far, and I worry about the direction they intend to go in.

haha it'll be a species of aliens where the women are devistatingly beautiful and all the males have died out and 'omg my space suit it just sooo tight, please help us repopulate our planet' *steps out of space suit and walks away from camera flexing butt*

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well you are close Ez, they also have the good old "we can't produce babies" plot thrown in.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I've been watching it, I want there to be aliens otherwise it'll be boring, OR!, Humans have been there for hundreds of years already, and they've established a civilization, and there's conflict!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well you are close Ez, they also have the good old "we can't produce babies" plot thrown in.

Ahh I see. They will go with the tried and tested "this women is our saviour she can have babies" story line, which only really worked in the brilliant Children of Men.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ahh I see. They will go with the tried and tested "this women is our saviour she can have babies" story line, which only really worked in the brilliant Children of Men.

Well it worked rather well in nemesis way back and has been the storyline of many other movies/sci-fi before and after that, but it's as used as a wet towel in a shady movie theatre alright.

Not really sure i want to start watching this though, british shows tend to have an understanding problem at times, especially if there's heavy dialect involved.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Not really sure i want to start watching this though, british shows tend to have an understanding problem at times, especially if there's heavy dialect involved.
Thankfully most of the cast are using RP (received pronunciation) which is about as "standard" as you can get. There are a couple of local accents but not many of them.

Will said:
Only the BBC could make South Africa look like a Welsh quarry.
Nah, it's too sunny to be Wales. :)
This is a typical example of a Wales quarry...
james-morris-dinorwic-slate-quarry-01.jpg

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Thankfully most of the cast are using RP (received pronunciation) which is about as "standard" as you can get. There are a couple of local accents but not many of them.

Well that's nice, don't have to rewatch a scene 10 bloody times to get that they say hello :D

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I miss BBC sci fi where the spaceships were quite visibly hanging on wires. It allowed the rest of the programme to get away with all kinds of excuses.

Damn you, CGI.

Zede

Part of the furniture
cheap looking, bad tech, wont be bothering with any more.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Haven't watched it. Saw the trailers for it & thought it looked naff TBH. May watch it on iplayer this weekend over some crispy duck & pancakes

Life on Mars - I enjoyed that.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
First p behind me, which i watched with my super-goggles from a TV in england ofcourse and while it's not great, it's one of those "won't remember later on" sci-fi blerghs.

Could go places, probably won't, might hang on it for a few eps, but nothing new or exciting yet.

Earth 2 was a bit more interesting at start atleast.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I got half way through episode 3 and went and made a cuppa, something less dreadfully boring distracted me, I think it was one of those charity catalogues that come though the door. Anyway, I won't bother seeing if it gets better. 3 episodes is more than a fair chance.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Best thing that could happen to it.
Watching eps 3 and 4 was hard going. I kept turning back to my laptop to do something else, so I was plainly bored with the TV.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dark Orb Choir said:
brooky's review...........

it's shit
Who's brooky?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
The only brooky I know is the one that desperately wanted to see BW rebought. He was a fucking moron.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Watched the first episode of this the other night with the bird. We love sci-fi and there's a massive sci-fi hole in our lives at the moment.

Shame this was shit. It felt like that awful "the deep" thing (or whatever) that the Beeb broadcast last year. Terrible characterisation, bad directing, one step above very cheap.

Still, we'll give the next episodes a try to see if it improves.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The BBC feels like that embarrassing uncle that is confused between being "down with the kids" and all family friendly. Either way the end result is all rather facepalm.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
I actually watched the whole series and enjoyed it towards the end, thats in no small part to wanting to stick my willy in Fleur

Will

/bin/su
The last episode was actually good. There wasn't any of the usual ranting at the TV about how lazy the scriptwriter was. Shame that they finally managed that when the next series will almost undoubtedly never be made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom