New 300 trailer !!!!!!!!!

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
Still, ~7k against ~200k? The 200k is not even anywhere near fact.

Hmmn... that's quite a disparity.

Who really gives a rats ass about historical accuracy when seeing movies in theaters. Movies entertain, enough for me. I'll read historical texts if I want to see how it really was.

In short, this movie looks to be a damn entertaining action flick which is based on a graphic novel.

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
Our arrows will blot out the sun.
Then we shall fight in the shade!

Nate

FH is my second home
If they got the right number of armies, would you be happy and want to watch the film?

Blackjack

Fledgling Freddie
Dahakon said:
Oh, and Blackjack, in the Spartan barracks, where every boy had to go at the age of 7, they were encouraged to be gay with the other boys, as this was thought to create closer bonds between them when they had to fight next to each other in the phalanx. There is even evidence that Sparta encouraged lesbianism amoungst the women as well.

There is heavy evidence of female homosexuality. In some cases they were even encouraged to take lovers, men or female.
The male homo sexuality you refer to is largely unsubstansiated. I wont sit here and say here it didn't happen since it was an integrated part of many armies and fighting styles. Thebes had the Sacred Band, a battalion of homosexual lovers. The samurai had the Shudō, the tradition of love bonds between a seasoned and a novice samurai. So it certainly can't be ruled out. But in the case of sparta it's largely speculations as far as i can gather.

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
Ctuchik said:
right, so anyone who's got a problem to read should be shot because of that?

thats like saying "anyone who havent personally experienced said historical moments should be shot"... pretty much just as insane as your comment ;)

>.<

no, im saying that any movie (read: theatrical production even the likes of bowling for columbine) is made for the sole purpose of earning money, rarely they're made from indie companies, and even then they're made to make money. any historican will laugh his ass off if you discuss with him and you say I SAW THIS AND THAT IN THESE MOVIES, IT MUST BE TRUE! -.-
doesnt matter if you can read or not :p

Lannovar

Fledgling Freddie
emperor_gr said:
i hate movies about greek history cause historicaly wise they all suck.. non of em is even close to tell the true story so they make em into something more hollywood-likable. you gona say : "dont go to the cinema then its not obligatory"
but as a greek i feel offended by movies such as this..

how would an english historian felt if the next hollywood production was a version of excalibur-arthur history with him and his knights wearing skirts and fighting with dildo swords dancing like gays ??

Sorry to hear that you would take offence to a movie like this. Its worth putting a few things into context. This movie is not based on greek history. It is based on a graphic novel by Frank Miller, whom many people will know is responsible for Sin City, the novel is his interpretation of a historical event. This movie is just trying to bring that vision from paper to the screen. If you know anything about Frank Miller, he loves a blood and guts style where men are unashamedly macho with cutting one liners and memorable quotes. It is catering to an entertainment audience, not a scholarly one.

Referring to your last paragraph, being English I had the misfortune to sit through King Arthur, which was a disappointing pile of pants. I certainly didnt take offence to its historical innacuracy nor its cheesy hollywood scenes/dialog, i just took it for what it was, a not very good movie. Hell, whilst we are on the subject I could get all stroppy about Braveheart where Mr Gibson portrayed all us English as raping, ill educated simpletons, but I didnt mind I just enjoyed the film, infact i was rooting for the Scots! (and being English is a hard thing to admit ;) )

Anyway, enough rambling, lets hope the movie delivers as a lot of these so called sword and sandal epics have been crap over the last few years. Has there been anything in this genre since Gladiator in 2000 that has been worth viewing, my opnion is no, Kingdom of Heaven was the only thing in my opnion being close to reasonable, but Bloom was a horrible mis-cast.

Dahakon

Fledgling Freddie
Nate said:
If they got the right number of armies, would you be happy and want to watch the film?

Oh, I'm still going to watch it anyway, it looks like an enjoyable film, but the trouble is that many people will see it, and think thats what Thermopylae was actually like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom