Networking Problem

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
I have a small network at home consisting of 2 computers and 1 laptop. Both the laptop and my computer connect to the internet through my brothers computer, which has a BT router attached to it. I connect directly to the router whilst my stepdad, who has the laptop, connects to the internet and the network via the phone line downstairs.

We have set up a series of shared folders containing movies and music etc. Both my brother and stepdad are able to access eachothers stuff and my stuff. But I seem unable to connect to there folders or computers. When I go to view workgroup computers are get an error stating:

"Mshome is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this workgroup is currently unavailable."

I am still able to recieve an internet connection through my brothers connection.

Anyone got a clue whats going on? :(

Ty in advance for any help.

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
OK little update. I can now suddenly see the computers on the network. But now its saying that I do not have permission to access them.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i'm having smmilar problems with this kind of thing

the ms shareing thing automatically chooses a computer to be the server to keep a list of currently active computers

it can get ballsed up if it chooses a computer with a strict firewall to be the server

or at least that's what seems to be going on on my network

giving me no end of problems

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Hmm i think i had this problem before, and it was related to windows firewall? I've deactivated windows firewall now anyway and rely on the one built into my router. I may be wrong but might be worth a try.

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
Just mentioned this in another thread but setup your login as an Administrator on everyone elses PC

So if your Login is 'Dommers', add that user to the other PC's. USe same Password as well i think

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom