network/packet sniffer

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
My favourite has always been ethereal but I wondered if there was another option?

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
RedVenom said:

Don't you have to pay for Sniffer though? Never used it - Ethereal is more than adequate for the job, very versatile and open source.

Can't get better, if you ask me...

RedVenom

Banned
Breni said:
Don't you have to pay for Sniffer though? Never used it - Ethereal is more than adequate for the job, very versatile and open source.

Its another option.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
snoop / tcp dump

I aer teh old skool

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
analyzer (from Politechnico de Torino), free, winpcap based and works OK. Not tried ethereal (yet).

BTW I use mine to supplement the normally crap documentation about which ports I should open to make applications work through the firewall..

Phil.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
smurkin said:
is there a legit application for this ? just curious.
Well considering I'm using it to capture the packets my nic has recieved I figure it's easily all legal. The real reason I'm using it is because I'm working as an sys admin and for some reason the printers are being really slow.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
smurkin said:

Yup, I use it to view the traffic on people's networks when I'm installing new firewalls and routers. Helps to be able to see what sort of traffic is being passed through the equipment and what's being dropped.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
smurkin said:
I used them back when i was still developing to debug comunication protocols

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Anything like this can be legal as long as you have the consent of the owner of the network/pc its being used on. So these tools can be used by sysadmins for various stuff

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
RandomBastard said:
Anything like this can be legal as long as you have the consent of the owner of the network/pc its being used on. So these tools can be used by sysadmins for various stuff

Of course, for contractors/retained staff/consultants, written permission or not at all. God knows, I don't want to be bent over and rammed by a load of high-priced lawyers.

MrBlack

Fledgling Freddie
Ethereal always does it for me.

tcpdump -qtln when I'm doing basic stuff, too.

tethereal (console-based one) also useful.

netcat is fripping ace for watching stuff like HTTP headers coming in and out.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Doh_boy said:
Well considering I'm using it to capture the packets my nic has recieved I figure it's easily all legal. The real reason I'm using it is because I'm working as an sys admin and for some reason the printers are being really slow.

Anyways, no doubt any savvy admin would be able to detect a packet sniffer on his network a mile off :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom