Network card issues

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
A year ago I installed a network card for use at a LAN party. It worked fine, but on returning I'm pretty sure I disabled it somehow...

A year later I've tried to install a new router, but there appears to be no connection between the ethernet card and the router (light does not show up) meaning I can't connect to the router or ping it. I'ved looked in the usual places to enable the network card but I can't find it listed anywhere.

Tried the add hardware wizard but it was unable to automatically detect the card, and manually it and receive a message saying the device is already a service or named device, but where? :(

Any tips on where to go from where?

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
You need to check two places.

First is in Network connections for your LAN settings (if the card is physically enabled, it will show up there)
just right-click on "Local Area Connection" and select Enable from the context menu.
Its also useful to have that folder setup with "detail" view for at a glance recognition of disabled or enabled connections.

If in the Network connections you dont get a LAN connection (or the only connection references IEEE 1394 Adaptor) then the network adaptor is either disabled in device manager, or broke.

the second will be device manager.

if its an on-board LAN card (like nearly every BYO motherboard has these days) you can disable it physically within the system BIOS, which means windows will not see it, so check in Device Manager (system on control panel) if it sees a Network Adaptor (named either Nforce Ethernet / Realtek / Broadcom / Intel or similar) then its enabled, if not then its disabled in the BIOS and you need to find it (normally under PCI Devices in the BIOS) to enable it.

if its an add-in card, instead of checking the BIOS, you'll need to check if its seated properly, if it is then the card will be dead and you'll need to buy a new one.

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Looks like it was disabled, just took it out, rebooted then replaced it and the adaptor appeared showing it as disabled. Just renabled it so should be sorted.

Odd why XP does not allow you to see disabled devices without having to manually remove the device first or turn it on via bios :(.

Clown

Part of the furniture
It does. My icon has a little red x on it?

SAS

Can't get enough of FH
Although the card is showing there is still no connection to the router :(.

Set it up for DCHP, followed the instructions to the letter but the port lights are not lit for the ethernet connection to the router (http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834Gv2.asp). Tried another cable but no joy.

Tried to run ipconfig but the window appears for a second then closes.

Firewall also off at the time but still no connection to router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom