Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Expensive kit but then all .ad is right now. First gen chipsets. Nice though.
Not sure how it will improve ping as the RF carrier wave still travels at the same speed (SOL).

Part of the upgrade includes running a LAN cable directly to the new bridge from the router (this is going to replace a wifi stage which is hitting performance). This bit is going to be a pain because it needs to run along a purlin beam 5 meters in the air, that and the drilling for the cat cable (hate ladders :( ).

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
With a following wind and help from a solicitor who actually remembers what the one job she has in the house buying process, we should be exchanging contracts shortly, and all parties have agreed completion on the 28th - so over the weekend we decided to go to Curry's to get some kit for the new house. OK it's Curry's, but they were doing Interest Free with nothing to pay for 9 months, so seemed churlish not to take advantage. Think we got a bit carried away, as we came back with:

Needed a new soundbar, as we're currently using a Yamaha amp with a pair of old floorstanders plugged in, which won't in the new house and are "ugly" apparently, so we got a new Soundbar. Didn't have the one we were after, but they helpfully had the model above, so we had that. Much boom, such Atmos.

Currently using a Netgear Nighthawk hooked up to a Sky Router, with Powerlines to get cabled internet throughout the house. Don't fancy Powerlines in a 1930's house, and they're a bit flaky anyway, so we bought some Mesh kit. Reviews looked pretty good, sadly doesn't have dedicated backhaul like the Orbi stuff I was looking at, but it's also half the price so will get us started:

We're also pretty invested in the Nest kit, and the new place doesn't have a doorbell currently, so we got the Wireless Nest Doorbell and a Nest Hub Max for the kitchen - I've made my peace with Google listening to everything we do for a while now.

Oh, and a toaster and a kettle. They're gray and made by DeLonghi.

Bodhi

Went to fit our Bedroom TV on the wall only to discover we bought it during the year when Sony were being their usual "innovating for the sake of it" selves and decided that standard VESA mounts were far too simple. No, what they decided would be best was an admittedly quite elegant solution involving the stand, however it was next to useless for idiots like me who have lost the additional brackets you need for it. We also noticed than when hung up it would extend past the chimney breast, so decided this was a perfectly good excuse to buy a new TV.

Well I did, but as the wife made a similar decision with our washing machine and dishwasher, it was probably my turn. As an aside the washing machine is actually quite impressive - it's a silver Bosch thing that we have to keep checking is working properly as its so quiet. Until it finishes, then it does that very German beep suggesting ACTHUNG ACHTUNG DIE WASHING IST FINISHED until you switch it off.

Anyway, we bought a new telly, which I'm picking up shortly. Can you guess what make it is? :)

Also means I now have the 50" LED in the mancave, along with Sky Q and my PS3 and PS4. Very saddened to find out my PS2 won't read disks any more, so now off to hunt eBay for a new one.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Anyway, we bought a new telly, which I'm picking up shortly. Can you guess what make it is? :)

Also means I now have the 50" LED in the mancave, along with Sky Q and my PS3 and PS4. Very saddened to find out my PS2 won't read disks any more, so now off to hunt eBay for a new one.

You might think why bother emulating, but the major emulators all support resolution scaling for 3d games, you can run ps1/ps2/ps3 games in native 4k and they look SO MUCH BETTER, as well as 60/144hz frame rates in a lot of titles ( well anything that isnt crap that tied physics to framerate ).

It's really impressive and makes older games look much better.

ALSO a new ps1 emulator came out that fixed the zbuffer ps1 issues that caused model/texture wobbling so emulating ps1 games is super nice.
It's built into retroarch which is on steam and the core is Beetle PSX.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Went to fit our Bedroom TV on the wall only to discover we bought it during the year when Sony were being their usual "innovating for the sake of it" selves and decided that standard VESA mounts were far too simple. No, what they decided would be best was an admittedly quite elegant solution involving the stand, however it was next to useless for idiots like me who have lost the additional brackets you need for it. We also noticed than when hung up it would extend past the chimney breast, so decided this was a perfectly good excuse to buy a new TV.

Well I did, but as the wife made a similar decision with our washing machine and dishwasher, it was probably my turn. As an aside the washing machine is actually quite impressive - it's a silver Bosch thing that we have to keep checking is working properly as its so quiet. Until it finishes, then it does that very German beep suggesting ACTHUNG ACHTUNG DIE WASHING IST FINISHED until you switch it off.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hGGVW_mGEI

OR

Google 'repair ps2' ... if you don't want to then send it to me, as I'd love to try getting into some of this resto stuff, but with cheap shit !

Wij

I am a FH squatter

What size?

Bodhi

What size?

Had to go for a 43 inch as our 50 was too big for the chimney breast it was going on. Usefully cheaper considering the amount of other stuff we're forking out on...

Bodhi

Considering we were spending so much on the house I thought I'd sneak in an extra purchase just for me :)

Was always considering one but then noticed Amazon had it for £180 so took the plunge. A week in its a fairly impressive bit of kit to be fair - loads more info than my old Garmin for similar battery life and much better notifications.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
the 2 to 3 month wait on my latest acquisition is killing me......

1648225372196.png

My Christmas present has not arrived yet either :(

1648225423423.png

Embattle

FH is my second home
Just ordered a replacement to my DS1815+, perhaps slightly un surprisingly:

I've ordered it with eight 6tb Seagate Ironwolf drives since my current ones include four 9 year old Seagate drives so probably wise to replace them all.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've also decided to add two additional items including a Synology SNV3400 400GB M2 NVME (Cache) and an additional Synology D4ES01-4G 4GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM to take the system to 8GB, going to spend the majority of the weekend setting it all up and sorting information on the old device before moving it across.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I've also decided to add two additional items including a Synology SNV3400 400GB M2 NVME (Cache) and an additional Synology D4ES01-4G 4GB DDR4 ECC SODIMM to take the system to 8GB, going to spend the majority of the weekend setting it all up and sorting information on the old device before moving it across.
That's a lot of storage. What are you using it for if you don't mind me asking? 4k movies?

Embattle

FH is my second home
That's a lot of storage. What are you using it for if you don't mind me asking? 4k movies?

Have got a number of 4K movies now and no doubt will get some more in the future, but always fancy having plenty of headroom :)

Bodhi

The SUB | For the ultimate home draught pint

One of those, with several litres of Heineken and Amstel. Now I've discovered the knack to it, I may never have to go to a pub again.

(Other beers are also available, I'm eyeing up some Tiger and Lagunitas for the next order).

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Anyone got any decent reccomendations for a new mouse and keyboard? I have an ASUS keyboard I'm quite fond of, but most of the letters are faded, and it's 10 years old and showing its age. Similar story with my mouse, a Razor Deathadder 3500 dpi. I think it's maybe 5 or 6 years old and not behaving as expected. The cushions at the bottom are wearing off, leading to an uneven scroll experience. Everything must be hardwired.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Anyone got any decent reccomendations for a new mouse and keyboard? I have an ASUS keyboard I'm quite fond of, but most of the letters are faded, and it's 10 years old and showing its age. Similar story with my mouse, a Razor Deathadder 3500 dpi. I think it's maybe 5 or 6 years old and not behaving as expected. The cushions at the bottom are wearing off, leading to an uneven scroll experience. Everything must be hardwired.
Gaming or work?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Logitech

logitech g pro / superlight are excellent wireless mice.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I second the MX Master 3, it's a fantastic mouse with just the right amount of buttons and wheels to be useful but not overbearing. As for the keyboard, I have a Das Keyboard 4 Professional and I love it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I use a Razer Naga Trinity, I got it because you can easily swap the side panel depending on what you are playing. My keyboard is a Corsair Strafe but it isn't one I would probably buy again since Corsair reaction to my WSAD keys surface wearing in a few months was annoying, in essence they wouldn't do anything about it.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
For work Logitech MX Master 3. No question.

I picked up one of these as a backup as it was on offer at EUR 50 (GBP 42 ish?) over here. The price seemed too good to pass up. Glad I did now!

Edit: forgot to add I'm currently using a corded Logitech G502 Hero.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I spent a good 2 years forever returning a logitech mouce under RMA, I got 3 out of them, so will never ever return. They literally use dried pasta as button contacts.

Very happy with my razer basilisk, with optical sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom