Nerdy Awesome shit you bought!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Since when? Pretty sure I bought an SSD from them last year and remember no Haribo :/
Since forever. Maybe it's just for international shipments but I doubt it. Maybe your reputation preceded you. :(

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
1tb internal SSD

After 5 years of a 250gb SSD and 2gig external only I have added a 1TB Samsung 860 evo. Life is much better now - I understand why Kiffy nagged me so much about this.

Yoni

Set of Kase magnetic filters arr on the way \o/

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
8gb version of the Raspberry Pi 4 to replace the 2gb version I had already that has become my thin client for working from home.

Not having to use my gaming desktop in the heat the past few weeks has been amazing!

Last edited:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
To the surprise of no one, I have upgraded my mobile. I have bought a Samsung.

Actually, this is a lie, I bought https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/smartphones/xperia-1m2

Had it a couple of weeks now, and it's an awesome bit of kit. The Camera Pro app gives you the viewfinder/software etc from a Sony Alpha, Cinema Pro does a similar thing for video, the screen is lush and the battery lasts ages. Only had 5G once since I got it, and it's seemed a proper rapid way of Bill Gates giving me the rona.

Also has a sticker on the back suggesting it was made in Japan, like all the best electronics - which I find pleasingly China free.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
To the surprise of no one, I have upgraded my mobile. I have bought a Samsung.

Actually, this is a lie, I bought https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/smartphones/xperia-1m2

Had it a couple of weeks now, and it's an awesome bit of kit. The Camera Pro app gives you the viewfinder/software etc from a Sony Alpha, Cinema Pro does a similar thing for video, the screen is lush and the battery lasts ages. Only had 5G once since I got it, and it's seemed a proper rapid way of Bill Gates giving me the rona.

Also has a sticker on the back suggesting it was made in Japan, like all the best electronics - which I find pleasingly China free.
Can't see anything in the specs there about screen refresh rate. Moving from 60Hz to 120Hz seems to be the big thing in 2020.

Bodhi

Can't see anything in the specs there about screen refresh rate. Moving from 60Hz to 120Hz seems to be the big thing in 2020.

Must admit screen refresh rate has never been something I've cared about on a phone, but it looks as if Sony have shied away from higher refresh rates due to motion blur issues with higher refresh rate screens:

Sony brought the headphone jack back on the Xperia 1 II to give people "a smartphone that they will love"

Haven't tried any games on it, but scrolling through Twitter, websites etc is smooth as silk.

12mp camera? :eek6: Is that a typo?

Caring about the MP rating of your camera is SO 2008.

Syri

FH is my second home
12mp camera? :eek6: Is that a typo?
A lot of phones are using 12mp as a compromise on the physical size of the sensor. 12mp gives enough detail for pictures to still look decent, but lets the individual pixels be larger on the sensor, which is better for low light. Most of the phones with higher mp counts will default to scaling down to 12mp and use pixel binning or doubling up pixels. You need very ideal lighting to get a decent picture over 12mp with a sensor as small as found in phones.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Who needs 120hz on a phone? Or 60 to that end. 30 would be acceptable.

Yoni

New 24-200mm z lense has just arrived, took it out for a spin yesterday - it was surprisingly good for a compact with a variable apeture. I wanted it because for the incrreased versatility the price was really very low - the bokeh although not as brilliant as a 1.8 to 2.8 apeture was good and it enables me to simplify composition a little - also it is really small so awesome for travel (when this is possible again).

_DSC6035.png

Bodhi

Related:

Also related:

The "Compact" version of mine due to be announced in September, with 120Hz Display upgraded from the 90Hz on the Xperia 1 ii.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Also related:

The "Compact" version of mine due to be announced in September, with 120Hz Display upgraded from the 90Hz on the Xperia 1 ii.
Again what exactly do you need 90 pr 120hz on a screen that small for any way.

just a gimic

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Again what exactly do you need 90 pr 120hz on a screen that small for any way.

just a gimic

It's down to perceived smoothness when scrolling, it's more quality of life than necessary. They need to find a way to improve things. It's like going from a 60-100/144 - You don't need to, but there's a difference.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It's down to perceived smoothness when scrolling, it's more quality of life than necessary. They need to find a way to improve things. It's like going from a 60-100/144 - You don't need to, but there's a difference.
I understand they are trying to find gimics to sell phones. On a big screen or pc game or something i can see the difference. I just think its wasted tech on such a small screen.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
New gun day!

and

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
New gun day!

and

Heya,

now being in the countryside i am getting interested to get i to this. Any hints tips etc.

whats the legal angle .

i have a farmer i could probably go on his land to shoot rabbits.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Heya,

now being in the countryside i am getting interested to get i to this. Any hints tips etc.

whats the legal angle .

i have a farmer i could probably go on his land to shoot rabbits.

The legal limit of a UK air rifle that you can own without a firearms license is 12ft pounds of muzzle energy.

Air rifles come in several flavours, spring or PcP (pre-charged pneumatic) or even C02 cartridge (crap) and different calibres, mostly .177 or .22. Springers are good to go, pull open the spring, load, shoot. With a PcP you will need a diving tank to fill it up, with which you will get 80-100 shots depending on the calibre and the rifle. Personally I have a 12ltr tank and a 3ltr tank.

Start off with a second hand spring rifle, they are a lot harder to shoot which makes you a better shooter. Calibre doesn't matter really, it's personal preference, .177 have a flatter trajectory and more speed but are lighter, .22 are heavier and pack more of a punch, though true power is pretty much identical.

Shoot targets targets targets until you can hit a cluster of 5-6 into a grouping the size of a 5p in light wind at 40 metres, then get a PcP rifle.

Legally you can shoot in your garden, so long as the pellet does not leave your boundary, you have to have permission from the land owner to shoot, get that in writing. Going on private property without permission is armed trespass.

You can't shoot all birds, they have to be on the general license and there are various conditions, you can shoot rabbits, grey squirrels and rats all you like.

Get insured, BASC are good and you get a free magazine full of pictures of rich folk every now and again.

My current stable

.177 TX200 MkIII - Spring Rifles | Air Arms

.177 Walther Rotex RM8 Varmint (great starter PcP)

.22 HW 97 Black Line-STL - Weihrauch Sport

.22 Ultimate Sporter R | Air Arms

All have Hawke optics, great quality and reasonably priced compared to other makes.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
The legal limit of a UK air rifle that you can own without a firearms license is 12ft pounds of muzzle energy.

Air rifles come in several flavours, spring or PcP (pre-charged pneumatic) or even C02 cartridge (crap) and different calibres, mostly .177 or .22. Springers are good to go, pull open the spring, load, shoot. With a PcP you will need a diving tank to fill it up, with which you will get 80-100 shots depending on the calibre and the rifle. Personally I have a 12ltr tank and a 3ltr tank.

Start off with a second hand spring rifle, they are a lot harder to shoot which makes you a better shooter. Calibre doesn't matter really, it's personal preference, .177 have a flatter trajectory and more speed but are lighter, .22 are heavier and pack more of a punch, though true power is pretty much identical.

Shoot targets targets targets until you can hit a cluster of 5-6 into a grouping the size of a 5p in light wind at 40 metres, then get a PcP rifle.

Legally you can shoot in your garden, so long as the pellet does not leave your boundary, you have to have permission from the land owner to shoot, get that in writing. Going on private property without permission is armed trespass.

You can't shoot all birds, they have to be on the general license and there are various conditions, you can shoot rabbits, grey squirrels and rats all you like.

Get insured, BASC are good and you get a free magazine full of pictures of rich folk every now and again.

My current stable

.177 TX200 MkIII - Spring Rifles | Air Arms

.177 Walther Rotex RM8 Varmint (great starter PcP)

.22 HW 97 Black Line-STL - Weihrauch Sport

.22 Ultimate Sporter R | Air Arms

All have Hawke optics, great quality and reasonably priced compared to other makes.
Are their ranges around? Just a google for them or they hard to find?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yeah, google for them. It's easier to 'zero' your scope at an indoor range.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I considered shooting the foxes with an air gun just to shock them out the garden but these things can do some serious damage if they hit the wrong place.

I now think putting some electric fencing up will have the desired impact

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I considered shooting the foxes with an air gun just to shock them out the garden but these things can do some serious damage if they hit the wrong place.

I now think putting some electric fencing up will have the desired impact
Make sure no person can get near it. Or put signs up. else people might be annoyed if they get shocked haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom