Need to get a laptop to boot from a windows 10 USB stick...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
How do i do that when putting the USB at the top in the bios boot priority list doesn't work?

The laptop is an acer if that helps.

/edit: It's currently stuck trying to do some automatic repair preparation and then the laptop locks up.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
ok this is odd. neither my windows 10 cd nor the USB show up. And they are both made using microsoft's own tool.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
If you have UEFI boot enabled, make sure you have a usb stick capable of that. Google rufus and let that create it for you. Or you could switch to legacy boot and try then.

Model/Make of lappy might help also if above don't work.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
UEFI in BIOS is greyed out.

Model is Acer Aspire E15

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
no nevermind, i found it. something different happened now.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well i got to where i had to pick where i wanted to install the OS, but got a message saying i couldn't. So now what? There doesn't seem to be a restore image on the laptop either because i tried a factory reset and it couldn't find the file(s).....

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Wild guess: Your custom Windows 10 USB isn't loading the storage drivers required, your best bet is the Acer recovery DVD. (Confirm this by looking for disk volumes at the F8 command prompt)

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Sorry it's hard to diagnose "couldn't" :), can say what the issue is?

Same wild guess as @Exioce is your harddrive isn't showing up in the install list.
Download the Acer chipset drivers from Acer and extract and copy them to the USB drive, when you get to pick what drive to install the OS on, load the drivers for the sata controller here and you should see your harddrive.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sorry for the lack of specifics. It says "you can not install windows on this device/partition/whatever"...

Also worth mentioning, i can not login to windows on this laptop. It gets TO the login screen but it won't go past it. And it takes the laptop hours to get that far, which is why i'm trying to reinstall/reset.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Sorry for the lack of specifics. It says "you can not install windows on this device/partition/whatever"...

Also worth mentioning, i can not login to windows on this laptop. It gets TO the login screen but it won't go past it. And it takes the laptop hours to get that far, which is why i'm trying to reinstall/reset.
Is there some way you can get in far enough and format the hdd. Maybe a linux usb operating system or maybe from the bios.

I guess the hdd is showing up in the bios?

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Yeah the Win10 install USB gives you the option to just delete all existing partitions and start from scratch. Sounds like the HDD is dying and it might be better with a replacement.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Is there some way you can get in far enough and format the hdd. Maybe a linux usb operating system or maybe from the bios.

I guess the hdd is showing up in the bios?

I can get far enough to choose which partition i want to install on and i'm pretty sure it's the same place you choose format on. Didn't think of that so will try that next later. And yes the HDD shows up in bios.

Sounds like the HDD is dying and it might be better with a replacement.

Yeah maybe that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom