Need to acces Encrypted files (win2k) in XP

SilverHood

FH is my second home
About a month ago, I installed WinXP, while keeping my old Win2k so I could dual boot in case something went tits up.

This mean I can't access the files in the win2k "my documents" folder when using XP, which is pissing me off, as I need some of them.

I can access them if I boot up win2k, but win2k doesn't like my wireless network card, so no internet, so I can't send the files to a pc where I can print them (ie, uni)
I tried moving them into a normal directory on the C drive, but they're still encrypted.

Anyone know how to fix this? I'd like to remove the win2k partition totally, but until I can access my stuff, there's no chance of that happening.

I had to replace my motherboard the other day, and I really don't fancy booting up win2k and installing all the drivers and stuff again, so workarounds using XP will be appreciated :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Boot up win2k and decrypt them, the re-encrypt in XP. You can't have the encrypted and readable in both sadly, as the encryption is keyed off the user and the user is not shared.

If you can't get 2k to do that you are screwed. NTFS uses 128-bit DESX encryption on the file, then encrypts the DES key with 1024-bit RSA. Your chance of breaking the encyption without the keys is effectively zero.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm, are they actually encrypted, or does your XP user just not have permissions to access them?

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Well, they're colour coded as green, which I take to mean they're encrypted.

User permission is set to full control... guess I'll have to boot up Win2k... but how do I actually decrypt the files?

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Right click file(s), properties, advanced, uncheck the "Encrypt contents to secure data" checkbox, click ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom