Need advice rooting Nexus 7 (2012 version)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I'm trying to root my Nexus 7 (2012). I'm on 4.4.2 and KOT49H

All the rooting guides require USB Debugging to be enabled.

If I enable USB debugging, my windows xp laptop is no longer able to recognise my N7 is connected, whether I am using MTP or PTP or neither USB connection, and in all cases, keeps asking me for a driver to be installed.

If I disable USB debugging, my laptop and N7 work together perfectly (I have MTP mode ticked under the USB options), but this prevents me rooting using Wug's Nexus Toolkit v1.8.

Clearly, this is a driver issue, but I can't find anything online. Its probably in xda developers somewhere, tried looking, all I find are a load of confusing threads, none of them match my problem.

Anyone help out? Thx in advance.

Syri

FH is my second home
My best guess, and this is only a guess, is that it will appear as a different device when debugging mode is active, and xp doesn't have a built in driver for that, or if it does, it isn't activating it for some reason. I think what I'd try first, if you haven't already, is installing the Android SDK from google. As debugging mode is normally designed to debug apps you're writing, I'd guess that may include something that will allow windows to see the nexus while in debugging mode. Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't think of anything off-hand.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thanks, downloading it now.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Use the cyanogenmod installer

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Ive spent bloody hours on this still cant get it to work. Tried all the options in wugs rootkit tool, zippo. Will try cyanogen mod...

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Cyanogen installer can't work on win xp bummer

Will try wug again... It shouldn't be this fucking hard to connect a nexus to a laptop...

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
At last I'm rooted.

What a mission. I had to manually point the xp driver installer to the directory containing Wugs Universal driver, unclick MTP, change the USB port to one at the back of the computer twice, then managed to unlock it, but wouldn't complete the root process until I let the rootkit decide I had a 2nd generation N7 2012.

Phew!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I had a similar experience with my HTC Desire. I got it in the end with a combination of the automated and DIY guides for cyanogen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom