Need a new Television.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Ah, that sounds better. Didn't realise sky boxes had that functionality.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive done a little research, and I think this should work.

Buy a SCART switching box, 2 into 1 (eBay like £5)

DVD to scart switching box
Sky SCART1 to scart switching box
Scart switching box to TV SCART1
Sky SCART2 to VCR SCART in
VCR SCARTout to TV SCART2
Aerial to Sky to VCR to both TVs.

This way we get a full SCART signal for everything downstairs since SCART will over-ride the aerial signal, and still get the signal upstairs too via the aerial.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Think of the sky box as a through-put. You're just feeding your DVD in one end and out the other. When the DVD player is switched on, the Sky box will see this and let the signal pass through and over ride the sky signal.

The way you've suggested is over complicated and off the top of my head, won't even work. There's no point having SCART between the SKY box and the video. Standard co-ax ariel will work fine there and you'll barely notice a difference esp on recorded tapes.

When I get a chance I'll try and draw my home setup and show you how I've got mine. For now don't bother with the switching box. Follow the way I suggested before and you'll have TV+video in the bedroom and the lounge. The TV Eye link thingys are available on ebay for a few quid and send a signal through the co-ax back into the second ariel output on the sky box to change channels etc. You can even set up each input differently i.e. 16:9 or 4:3 so when you control the sky box from the bedroom it automatically switches mode to suit that tv and the picture doesn't look all squashy. :)

I know I'm crap at explaining things, most of the tim but, like I say I'll try and draw a diagram for you when I get home tonight and it should become clear.

Just confirm that your sky box has two scarts and two co-ax ariel outs for me? Otherwise none of this will work. :p

EDIT: Ah I see your new telly has 2 SCARTs. In that case run your DVD SCART into the sky, sky SCART into the TV SCART1 and your video directly into tv SCART2. You still need to make sure you have the ariel coming into the sky, out into the video and into the telly. The second ariel output from the sky box can be run straight into your bedroom. Having thought about that, you won't have the video into your bedroom unless you split the signal out of the video but then you won't be able to change channels on the sky box. GAH! Complimacated!!! *runs away homer style*

Anyway, who watches VHS these days? :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well, my telly has 3 scarts, each of which in turn are connected to my dvd, my tivo, and my ntl box.

The ntl box is also connected (via a 2nd scart output on the back of it) to my tivo.

The aerial cable (though I hardly ever use it) goes through the ntl box, out of that and into the tivo, out of that and into the tv.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
Well, my telly has 3 scarts, each of which in turn are connected to my dvd, my tivo, and my ntl box.

The ntl box is also connected (via a 2nd scart output on the back of it) to my tivo.

The aerial cable (though I hardly ever use it) goes through the ntl box, out of that and into the tivo, out of that and into the tv.

Have you got a DVD recorder Tom? I've got a similar set-up to you (NTL, TiVo) but I've never been able to archive TiVo recordings to my DVD (there's a facility to archive to VHS apparently, but I don't even have a VHS recorder wired up anymore), I wondered if you knew if there was a way...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No I don't have a DVD recorder. I don't even have a VHS.

If you're having trouble with it, do a google for 'tivo community forums' and you'll find a plethora of hacks for it, including putting it on a network so you can copy stuff to and from your computer to the tivo.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Tom said:
No I don't have a DVD recorder. I don't even have a VHS.

If you're having trouble with it, do a google for 'tivo community forums' and you'll find a plethora of hacks for it, including putting it on a network so you can copy stuff to and from your computer to the tivo.

Yeah, I've tried that - lots of advice, none of it worked :( - probably something specific about my DVD recorder.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Thanks for the help guys, paticularly Kenny.

I connected it all up last night, slightly differently to suggestions, and it works OK, but only in a temporary way until I get some more leads..

The crux of the problem is trying to get the VHS and SKY feed to the upstairs telly, not bothered about the DVD since like someone said, they can be picked up for like £25 at ASDA.

When my new leads arrive I'll fiddle around and post the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom