Need a new Television.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
At long last, my old 21" Akai CRT has thrown its hand in, and Mrs Wil has given me the bugetary go ahead to purchase a new TV for the lounge. TBH, I cant complain really, the old Akai was bought for me on my 21st birthday so has lasted plenty long enough.

Right, I dont want LCD, Plasma or a projector. I want a 28" CRT widescreen TV with at least 2 SCART sockets, 100hz would be nice, in silver probably. No package deals, I have a nice DVD recorder and VHS thank-you. Dont need a stand either.

Hit me with it boys and girls.....

pcg79

One of Freddy's beloved
.Wilier. said:
TBH, I cant complain really, the old Akai was bought for me on my 21st birthday so has lasted plenty long enough.

how long is that?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
empiredirect.co.uk
tvandvideodirect.com

or better still check out homecinimachoice.com for reviews and check thier forums as well

nath

Fledgling Freddie
www.unbeatable.co.uk

Sony KV28 something something. 100hz 28" jobby, 3 scarts (2 of which are RGB) one S-vid, one composite. Tres good quality, fab tv and available sans stand. I got mine for 650 about 2 years ago. It's far cheaper now, maybe 400 quid?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Wilier

If you're feeling flush, Toshiba's PictureFrame range rock. They're the usual high spec. CRT televisions, complete with four satellite speakers, but the surround around the screen is only an inch or so wide, making their 32" model about the same size as most 28" televisions. Only three downsides. First, the smallest they do is 32". Secondly, the picture quality can show signs of all the fancy digital processing when the input signal isn't perfect. Thirdly, you end up paying more for the styling.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. I forget to mention eBuyer do a great line in Philips TVs. They're selling a 28" widescreen CRT, 2x SCART, in silver without a stand for £209.99 including VAT and shipping.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:
www.unbeatable.co.uk

Sony KV28 something something. 100hz 28" jobby, 3 scarts (2 of which are RGB) one S-vid, one composite. Tres good quality, fab tv and available sans stand. I got mine for 650 about 2 years ago. It's far cheaper now, maybe 400 quid?

Must admit Ive looked at the KV28 thingy and it does indeed look nice, I like Sony (dont tell Bhodi ffs).

Ive considered Samsung too since I know that theyre monitors are good, they seem cheap for the spec and the reviews are good too........

I'll also have a look at the Tosh Jonts, although Mrs Wil's parents have a Tosh and its ferkin hooge...

Nos

Fledgling Freddie
Panasonic make some pretty blinding 28" CRT units too.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
we've got the 32" Sony and wouldnt recommend Wil. Its a GREAT telly, but again it is ferking HUGE (deep)

Also, the sound isnt THAT great - have to put the volume up way too load to make sure you hear it.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Munkey said:
Is that a projector one, laz?

sorry munkey - i was lying. it is the Sharp model we have :

878086_01_large.jpg

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
We've got a sony jobbie, one with the "matching" stand and VHS doofers.
It shows teh picturs, it's grate!! :)

Seriously though all the big dealers have offers on atm, Comet, Dixons Currys etc. Get down there check out the best deal, make purchase. WIN!

(Don't buy extended warranty, in fact when offered point and laugh at the assistant)

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Our Panasonic 28" is great, 100Hz and all. Only 2 Scart sockets though which is a pain, they've probably all got 3 now tho.

At least one independant engineer I have talked too really rates Panasonic, but just as well you've already got the video player, the one we got with the telly was utter shite.

RB

nath

Fledgling Freddie
~Yuckfou~ said:
(Don't buy extended warranty, in fact when offered point and laugh at the assistant)

Alternatively, go to John Lewis/Sony Shop and get a free 5 year warranty, like I did :D

JBP|

Part of the furniture
we have a 28" LG 100hz tv thingy, it came with matching video and 5.1 surround sound dvd player paid £500 and something pounds for it from comet

*Edit*

btw the tv has 3 scart and 1 s-video sockets

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
.Wilier. said:
*ahem*
13 years

I'm currently watching a b/w portable made by National. It was bought for me as a crimbo pressie when I was 11. It still works perfectly, I daren't bin it as I guess it's now increasing in value.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Right, while your listening, I have a question.

Currently I have a DVD player, VHS and Sky and one SCART on my old AKAI.

The Sky plugs into the VHS, as does the incoming TV ariel, then into the telly via a coax cable. This cable also splits and goes upstairs to our boudoir so we can watch vids and sky in bed.

The DVD player plugs into the telly via the SCART socket.

Ahh La:
setup.jpg

With the new telly having 2 SCART and S Video in, whats going to be the way to wire it all up and still get vid and sky upstairs.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Seems like doing it the same way makes sense.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
WTF is it with silver-edged televisions these days? Do I want a reflective chrome edge around a cinema screen? NO.

FUCKOFF.

Also, Willier get a TV with more SCART sockets ffs. Watching SKY through a coax? Mono sound and very poor picture quality, and no automatic switching of 16:9 and 4:3!

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Tom said:
WTF is it with silver-edged televisions these days? Do I want a reflective chrome edge around a cinema screen? NO.

FUCKOFF.

Also, Willier get a TV with more SCART sockets ffs. Watching SKY through a coax? Mono sound and very poor picture quality, and no automatic switching of 16:9 and 4:3!

K Tom, very constructive....thanks very much. :(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Sorry. I was in rant mode. All I say to anybody buying a TV these days is to buy from the land of cheapo, and save your cash for when Blu-ray and LCD HD tvs become attainable for the average man.

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
Do people still use VHS? Jeez, if you miss it just download it off teh interweb* ;)

* Normally excludes crap telly, but you can get episodes of corrie and eastenders!**

** Not that I watch said programmes

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
wil.

if you scart the DVD into the Video, you can watch them in yet bedroom too.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Gef said:
Do people still use VHS? Jeez, if you miss it just download it off teh interweb* ;)

To be fair, the only thing we ever tape is Nick Jr Noggin and Cycling from Eurosport.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
Ariel goes into the sky, then into the video then into the telly. SCART goes from the DVD player, into the SCART in on the SKY box, out of the SKY OUT or whatver it's labelled on your box and into the SCART on the telly. The SKY will automatically let the DVD signal through when you switch on you rDVD player. That way you can still record sky via anologue but get to watch sky via SCART on the telly for a superior picture.

Also your SKY box should have two ariel out sockets so you can feed that up to the bedroom via the co-ax and get a TV Link Eye thingy (e-bay) to change channels on sky while in bed. As for DVD in the bedroom, erm, buy a cheapo 30 quid dvd player from Asda or somewhere I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom