Graphics Need a new graphics card

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So playing BF3 I am suffering a little bit due to my graphics card, an ATI HD 4870, struggling. Want to replace it but do not want to spend more than £150. Would prefer to stick with ATI unless there is a compelling reason to switch to NVidia.

Recommendations?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I couldn't stop myself! Turns up tomorrow :)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's here :)

image-2255267181.png

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Nice. :) Definite improvement in your BF3 experience coming up very shortly.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nice. :) Definite improvement in your BF3 experience coming up very shortly.
Tonight :)

Was playing it last night and I got pretty fucked off at the slowdowns :(

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
Salt and vinegar walkers, you shall be doomed for eternity!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That is my work equipment! Anyway, new card installed and working but I did find an oddity, my Sammy Syncmaster looked worse over HDMI than DVI. Possible settings in the Sammy somewhere?

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Im gunna buy a new video card soon too . Every ounce of common sense tells me to buy a Nvidia card, like a 560ti, though I've read that the comparable Radeon is much cheaper, but I suspect there will be the old boring driver issues etc, so Deebs if you can let us know about any problems I'd be well pleased :)

Yaka

Part of the furniture
ati drivers are supposed to be much improved compared to the old days. tho i always go for nvidia over ati.

if your jsut gaming then just use the DVI socket if that gives you better pic quality

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I used to swear by Nvidia cards but I was forced to switch when one of the DAoC patches caused major issues with Nvidia cards. Got a Radeon HD 2600 Pro atm and I wouldn't go back to Nvidia without a bloody compelling reason. ATI cards are cheaper and I haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Tha reminds me, Deebs, how much do you want for your old one? It's newer than mine =P

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Im gunna buy a new video card soon too . Every ounce of common sense tells me to buy a Nvidia card, like a 560ti, though I've read that the comparable Radeon is much cheaper, but I suspect there will be the old boring driver issues etc, so Deebs if you can let us know about any problems I'd be well pleased :)
To be honest for the last 4 years I have been using ATI and had not had one crash or issue I can attribute to the drivers. Absolutely rock solid for me I have to say.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I used to swear by Nvidia cards but I was forced to switch when one of the DAoC patches caused major issues with Nvidia cards. Got a Radeon HD 2600 Pro atm and I wouldn't go back to Nvidia without a bloody compelling reason. ATI cards are cheaper and I haven't noticed any difference in performance.

Tha reminds me, Deebs, how much do you want for your old one? It's newer than mine =P
Let me find out what it is worth and get back to you.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!

Bollocks myths. You are as likely to have driver issues with nvidia as you are ati. Always go for the best cost to performance so you get value and life out of your purchase.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Last time I had a ATI card it wasnt myths, it was driver issues all the time. Then the card blew up. So I got another under warranty.

That blew up too :)

Was a while back though ...

Chosen

Resident Freddy
Usually had nvidia cards myself, but it overheated. After that I've always had ATI, and yeah sometimes there is some driver issues. But ATI is quick to release new fixed ones, so don't find that to be a issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom