Need a new gfx card

Chilly

Balls of steel
I've recently brought home the monitor I used in my office, which is a dell ultrasharp u2711 (res of 2560x1440). I already had one of these at home so now I have two. Unfortunately, my gfx card doesnt support two displays at such a high resolution :( I've got an AMD HD 6800 jobbie.

Any idea for cards to replace that? It needs to be decent for gaming but it must also support ultra high res. I've been out of the gfx card game for ages so not sure what to go for.

Cheers Freddies.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
what's your budget? and what inputs do the monitors have?

Chilly

Balls of steel
what's your budget? and what inputs do the monitors have?
Happy to spend a few hundred quid. Tops £400, lets say. I have DVI digitaland displayport inputs on both monitors, the DVI is dual link, due to the very high resolution.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I really recommend any Asus DirectCU II card - superior cooling + very quiet, I only recommend the Zotax GTX 770 over the Asus because it has double the frame buffer. That said the Asus GTX 770 is going to be more than competent and can save you 40 notes if you don't want the 4GB frame buffer.

Chilly

Balls of steel
are they good for gaming? I'm not a hardcore gamer but I do like the option of playing whatever I want :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
Ooh. Just been playing with connectors and stuff. Managed to get both monitors at top res but had to use the displayport and one dvi digi connection. All working smooth now, no need for a new gfx card. Thanks for the advice, though. I did buy a sweet multi-stand thing, though, which will enhance my experience mightily :D

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
yes, they are good for gaming :) the 770 more so, basically the 770 is a 680 but slightly faster
the 780 is immense but outside of your price range :(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I've seen a computer on Overclockers with two of these in it. I REALLY want it!!

My summer project is to install 2 of those beasts into my main triple (24") monitor surround setup. Will replace the two SLi GTX 560Ti currently installed. Along with a new Asus Sabertooth Mobo and i7-4770K uP. Should future proof it for another 2-3 years of gaming :)

Influenza

Part of the furniture
£800+ for a gfx card jeez , they certainly went up in price in the last year or so.

TdC

Influenza, dude the Nvidia 760 has been released at a RRP of something like 240 euros. You will be hard pressed to find a better price / performance match tbh. I may actually be getting one to replace my 560.

TdC

afaik today. that is to say a Dutch website I follow called tweakers.net have it on their news page.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
aye just searched lots available now in the shops goodie been waiting for one :)

TdC

I've kinda decided I want to get a GTX 760 if I pass my minor. Either that, or a new monitor. Ideally I would get another Dell 2407, but I can justify the card more than I can the monitor.

TdC

nice one Moriath! another two weeks and I'll be gearing up too :D

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
cheers should go nice with my gigabyte z77 mobo and 3770k i7 cpu :)

was pissed when company of heroes rated my pc to run it at low with the 460 gtx i have at the moment

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I need a new graphics card but these days their names are too confusing to figure out how good they are. I mean the gtx 760 and the gtx 660 ti are the same price more or less. Back in the days higher number = better yet same price wtf.

Chilly

Balls of steel
USING WINAMP! BURN! :(

I miss winamp tbh, used to love some of the skins you could get for it.
I've got the classic skin there. What's wrong with it? No bullshit, no ads, no internet connectivity required, no 10GB footprint. Superb bit of software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom