Help NAS drive vanished in Win10

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So I finally got around to installing Windows 10. Clean install using my 8.1 Pro key. All gone swimmingly, except that explorer no longer shows either my flatmates computer or my NAS drive.

It's a Buffalo L220DF5C

It's still on the network because my Win7 laptop sees it just fine. It also shows up in the media devices section, just not the computers section. I've run a windows update and I've updated the firmware on the drive.

There is no difference I can see in the network settings between this and my laptop. Google isn't being too helpful either.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So I downloaded the Buffalo Navigator. This detected the drive and when I clicked on it, brought up the drive in Windows Explorer with the drive visible under network in the left-hand pane. Not visible just by going to network by itself. Had to make a shortcut on my dekstop for it. Bloody weird!

Syri

FH is my second home
Two things to check in control panel (not the win 10 settings app, the proper control panel from right-clicking start), in the networking part. Select "Advanced sharing settings" on the left, and make sure that network discovery is on, with automatic setup ticked (under the private section, which is what a home network should be set up as) and also make sure file and printer sharing is turned on. They're about the only things I can think of that might not have been put on when windows was set up that could do that. Other than that, no idea...
One other thing to note though, which might be related if it's the case, accessing network shares works a bit funny if you sign in to windows with a microsoft account, rather than a local one. If you use a microsoft account, that might also affect accessing the NAS drive, though not having one myself I can't say for sure, but it does affect me accessing file shares from other windows 10 PCs, so I thought it worth mentioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom