Naming your kids

TheBinarySurfer

Can't get enough of FH
Went to school with a kid who was called Wayne Carr (pronounced Kar).

I wonder how that naming discussion went?

Man: "Darling what can we call our little bundle of joy?"
Woman: "Well our surname is Carr - what would fit well with that?"
Man: "I don't know"
Woman: "Then if we can't think of one thats inspiring, lets at least call him something that will give us and his friends/classmates/employers a good laugh for the rest of his natural life?"
Man: "Sounds good, what did you have in mind"
Woman: "Hmmm"
Man: "I've got it - Ford Carr?"
Woman: "No, no typically male - car related, something that has universal appeal".
Man: "Damn you're right"

Several hours later...

Man: "Well your dads name is Wayne..."
Woman: "Yeah sounds good, shame we couldnt think of anything amusing though."

Poor kid, everytime the register was called...

elisera

Fledgling Freddie
TheBinarySurfer said:
Went to school with a kid who was called Wayne Carr (pronounced Kar).

I wonder how that naming discussion went?

Man: "Darling what can we call our little bundle of joy?"
Woman: "Well our surname is Carr - what would fit well with that?"
Man: "I don't know"
Woman: "Then if we can't think of one thats inspiring, lets at least call him something that will give us and his friends/classmates/employers a good laugh for the rest of his natural life?"
Man: "Sounds good, what did you have in mind"
Woman: "Hmmm"
Man: "I've got it - Ford Carr?"
Woman: "No, no typically male - car related, something that has universal appeal".
Man: "Damn you're right"

Several hours later...

Man: "Well your dads name is Wayne..."
Woman: "Yeah sounds good, shame we couldnt think of anything amusing though."

Poor kid, everytime the register was called...

Very cruel...

Wouldn't find that over here really as people shy away from the name Wayne as it sounds so much like the word we use for child (sort of a slurred version of "wee'un") Hence you constantly here where's the Wayne?

Speedr

Fledgling Freddie
liloe said:
Just imagine I'd name a girl Liloe/Eilan/Caillean here, she would move to Finland to change her name I guess :p (well actually iirc Caillean comes from Cailin, which means "girl" in gaelic).

This is true, Cailín is the Gaelige [ Irish language ] word for girl. Another strange thing about naming your child with an Irish name is that the prefix for a male in a full name would be say... Seán O' Briain [ John of the Breen clan ] but the female prefix would be Aoife Ní Briain [ Aoife of the Breen clan ] .

Also if i was to name kids of my own i'd name em in Irish as some of the female names are beautiful, male not so much but sound nice :)

For example above, Aoife pronounced eefeh, Aisling, pronounced ashling , Mabh or Maeve, pronounced mayvh.

Some male names would be Setanta, Daithí [ english equivalent is David ], Ciarán, pronounced keerawn, Dara or Daire [ my own name ;) english equivalent is Darren ]

Back on topic then with ugly names of people i know : Mitchell , Tori, Morgan [ sorry, i just don't like it as a female name ], Kelvin... there's quite a few dumb named kids round my way, just can't remember most of em coz i cba to remember what they are and why they annoy me.

Worst names "celebs" have come up with imo:

Apple and Moses - that muppet from coldplay and some other bird
Zowie Bowie
Fifi Trixiebelle
Moon Unit
Moxie Crimefighter - Penn Jillette of Penn and Teller fame called his kid that
Daisy boo - thank you Jamie Oliver for that idiotic name
Poppy Honey - see above
George Foreman named his 5 sons george, and his daughters georgette and freeda george... omg

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Speedr said:
This is true, Cailín is the Gaelige [ Irish language ] word for girl. Another strange thing about naming your child with an Irish name is that the prefix for a male in a full name would be say... Seán O' Briain [ John of the Breen clan ] but the female prefix would be Aoife Ní Briain [ Aoife of the Breen clan ] .

Also if i was to name kids of my own i'd name em in Irish as some of the female names are beautiful, male not so much but sound nice :)

For example above, Aoife pronounced eefeh, Aisling, pronounced ashling , Mabh or Maeve, pronounced mayvh.

Some male names would be Setanta, Daithí [ english equivalent is David ], Ciarán, pronounced keerawn, Dara or Daire [ my own name ;) english equivalent is Darren ]

That's quite interesting =) Thx for the read. Ireland/Wales seem to be an interesting sites =)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
haha was talking about this before i found the thread, my friends plan;

im naming one steve and the other assface and being really nice to assface.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Speedr said:

It works the same for Gaelic (Scottish), they use Nic and Mac for daughter of and son of.

At the moment if I have a girl, she'll be called Eilidh (pronounced Ay-li) Mhari (pronounced va-ri).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom