Names and total lack of imagination

D

Dardamein

The issue i'm gonna discuss here is bound to be flamed I guess but I feel that naming has gone ridiculous.

Two topics: Guilds and Characters

Guild naming:
None of the following guilds have my dislike. I'm just questioning the total lack of imagination. The order they appear in have no reason but some guilds are older then the rest...
Due to respect to old original guilds one should consider the naming of a new guild in my opinion. This is only examples

Have a look!

Knights:
Dragon Knights
Protean Knights
Dark Knights
Spectral Knights
Knights of Pendragon
Knights of the Lake
Knights of the Rose
Knights of Camelot
Microaliens Albion Knights
Knights who say Ni

Light:
Guardians of Light
Keepers of the Light
Army of Light
Fellowship for Light
Light Army (not the same meaning thou)

Dragon:
Dragon Knights
Dragon-Fighters
Dead Dragons Society
Dungeons and Dragons

Legion:
Legion of Darkness
Ferus Legionis
Legion of Honour
Dark Legionaires
Black Legion
Legion of Arawn

ETC ETC ETC

Thank you Time, Justice and Liberty for at least unusual and in my opinion imaginative names.

Character naming:
This game is beginning to look like Monthy Python (whom i like thou) and its ridiculous to see the competition of who make the most silly name on a character. Dont people have a sense of naming according to the scene and time? There is a name generator for those without imagination too. I dont expect people to role play but at least give your character a name worthy of the realm.

How fun is it to meet this person? :

Superduper MegabastardUberPolearmSlasherThrasher

(if anyone is named this way I apologize for the inconvenience since this is only fictional)

So please get your act together!!!

H

Hit ^_^

:O
aye allso lots of guilds using THE in the beginning of their guild name. please nerf this..

O

old.LandShark

Put it like this, do you want to share a realm with Knights of the whatever, or the name of a crap danish football team? Uh-huh, thought so.
I just can't quite see why you mention all the 'Knights', 'Legion' etc guilds and yet ignore THE SUPREMES, Pets Win Prizes, Herfolge Boldklub, etc....

D

Dardamein

No of course i want suitable names on the guilds too but i had two different viewpoints there. The caracter discussion can also be applied onto guild naming. But my first point on guild naming was to respect the old guilds when naming a new one.

I agree with you on what you said Landshark

J

Javai

Think you'll find there are alot of Knights in Albion and not elsewhere cos it's in keeping with the setting.

S

swords

speaking of names:

Scouts: Legolas Leegolas Legiolas........
Wizards: Gandalf Gundalk Gandaalf Cuntdalf (probably in Chaos Theory ;p )

add to that the dorfs called Gimli or versions thereof the Luri's with Hobbit names and all the other LOTR variants.

EVERY TIME I SEE ONE OF YOU I WISH YOU'D BURN IN HELL....
(maybe not hell, possibly America though you ain't gettign off lightly)

O

old.LandShark

I would contest that Gundalk isn't close enough to Gandalf to be mocked.... I mean, it's got a G and an A and it has two syllables, end of resemblance :p
Dardamein: personally I'd be happier if I wasn't in a guild named after a danish football club, but honestly, the name of a guild isn't the end of a world. You ought to be protesting against blatantly crap english and faux-roleplay english, rather than a lack of imagination among in-contextishsomely-named guilds.

S

Saevus

Well doing the best i can

Saevus Angelus - Semper Fidelis (how about that :))

O

old.Wildfire

If i see one more Gandoiffff im gonna scream.

edit: contextishsomely isnt even a word... bloody frog.

D

Danya

TBH I think wildfire is a completely inappropriate name, especially for a fire wizard!

P

Pin

Well, at least 2 of my character's names took a little imagination. (The others were sleepy, random, key-pressing things).

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by old.Wildfire
If i see one more Gandoiffff im gonna scream.

edit: contextishsomely isnt even a word... bloody frog.

You're just jealous I used it first!!!!¬

M

McRobin

Well let me tell you guys that some guilds started with the name Light, Legion, Knight etc. So don't go telling that Keepers of the Light isn't original. It was when the guild was formed :)

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Couldn't agree more about the names of some people's characters but as for the guild names...

A lot of the guilds you named are keeping within the character of the realm and naming themselves after different orders, whether they be knights, guardians or keepers. So kindly fuck off and stop accusing some people of having no imagination. :eek:

Okay, some of them are stupid and wholly out of character (not going to name any) but a lot of the guilds you have named are keeping within the spirit of the realm. Are you going to insult Midgard next for having guild names which are connected in some way to norse mythology?

B

bracken_woodman

Originally posted by Dardamein

Legion:
Legion of Darkness

One of the first few guilds on the server, founded in those halcyon opening days after release. The original "legion", and still the best :p

D

Dardamein

Some answers:

Sissyfoo
I should not really answer you due to your foul language, BUT i suggest you read my 2 posts above once more and think of what i'm writing. I aint insulting any guilds. I have great respect for all guilds out there and the initiative

"Due to respect to old original guilds one should consider the naming of a new guild in my opinion." /Dardamein

McRobin
Never said that thou. I have been here since the start and I personally know which ones are the oldest etc.

Bracken_Woodman
see McRobin and my 2 posts above

Strangely you seem to read in the views on character naming onto the guild naming. THAT is two different viewpoints (stating again). Knights, Guardians, Keepers fit the theme alright BUT i want people to respect old guilds and not hardcopy. I have seen guild created with similar name and same colors etc. That is in my eyes great lack of respect.

Example: I belong to The Choir and someone make Choir and use same colors/emblem (this is bound to happen now i guess). But i hope you see my point.

MY GREATEST RESPECT to the original old Albion guilds out there.

O

oldgit

what a dumb sad person it was that started this thread.
Who cares what ppl call there guild, or character as long as they have fun in a game, that they are paying for

D

Dardamein

Originally posted by oldgit
Who cares what ppl call there guild, or character as long as they have fun in a game, that they are paying for

Yes that person is me Oldgit and people like you can definately post nice and constructive replies I see.

Congratulations

K

Khalen

People choose as they wish. You can talk all day about how crappy the names are and how stupid but it's the people themselves who determine that and there is nothing you can make em change (as long as they aren't abusive that is). So let it rest.

And a name isn't taken by a guild. If some guild decided to make a Unicorn Knights guild it ain't stolen or whatever... It doesn't block any guild out there or make it look ridiculous. There are no copy laws ;P

L

lofff

eh dont whine u dont have 9123284184987987123 legolasus roaming about ~~

O

old.Odysseus

Originally posted by oldgit
And still you took the time to answer it .....
Guess the jokes on you.

K

Kagato.

Thanks for the opinion on our guild names, but would you rather we had names that werent in keeping with our Realms Theme ?
Albion has Knights, so our guilds often have Knights in the names, problem with that?

And incidently, my own guild, Dark Knights, we've been around for 4 years and originated in Diablo and have since spread to CS, D2, Jedi Knight II (oh dear, another knight !), WC3, C&C Generals and Unreal tourny along side DAoC, its a gaming community so the name travels from game to game theme or no theme, imagination or not, we see a game we like, we make a division for it and the community expands, if the name is a little to common for you, tough, but we've had it longer then DAoC has existed.

Maybe we should just follow the latest rage of all these latin names and mottos for guilds, cause hey, if you can't understand the guild name, no one can complain

:rolleyes:

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Originally posted by Dardamein
Some answers:

Sissyfoo
I should not really answer you due to your foul language, BUT i suggest you read my 2 posts above once more and think of what i'm writing. I aint insulting any guilds. I have great respect for all guilds out there and the initiative

"Due to respect to old original guilds one should consider the naming of a new guild in my opinion." /Dardamein

McRobin
Never said that thou. I have been here since the start and I personally know which ones are the oldest etc.

Bracken_Woodman
see McRobin and my 2 posts above

Strangely you seem to read in the views on character naming onto the guild naming. THAT is two different viewpoints (stating again). Knights, Guardians, Keepers fit the theme alright BUT i want people to respect old guilds and not hardcopy. I have seen guild created with similar name and same colors etc. That is in my eyes great lack of respect.

Example: I belong to The Choir and someone make Choir and use same colors/emblem (this is bound to happen now i guess). But i hope you see my point.

MY GREATEST RESPECT to the original old Albion guilds out there.

None of the following guilds have my dislike. I'm just questioning the total lack of imagination. The order they appear in have no reason but some guilds are older then the rest...

Okay, fine. You may think you aren't insulting any guilds but you are basically saying that anyone who names their guild 'Knights of...' or 'Guardians of...' or whatever is showing disrespect to the older guilds and the creator/creators have no imagination? Pfft. If I had created a guild like this then I would be totally insulted.

As for the guild colours, there is only a certain amount of variations you can have with the patterns and emblems so the likelyhood of being able to find a guild with a totally unique colour scheme decreases over time. Just a couple of days ago I saw a spanish guild member with the same colours as my guild. Was he showing disrespect or a lack of imagination? I sincerely doubt it.

Anyway, you need to stop being so anal. Just because I used the word 'fuck' doesn't mean my post is any less relevant than anyone else's. If the occasional obscenity offends your dainty disposition then I suggest you read the PG forums because otherwise you are going to have a brain aneurysm if you read some of the posts on here.

O

old.LandShark

Sissyfoo: say fuck more, it puts hair on your chest :rolleyes:

Oldgit: sshh.

Lofff: yes we do.

O

old.shotgunstow

we were the first guild on excal/alb afaik so therefore the first Light users :)

T

Trinilim

I see he didn't list the following guilds:

WartHogs

Newbies of Albion

N00bs

Thrashers

Or any of the spanish guilds.

Hmm.. so you want us to be like them eh :p

O

old.shotgunstow

Originally posted by Trinilim
I see he didn't list the following guilds:

WartHogs

Newbies of Albion

N00bs

Thrashers

Hmm.. so you want us to be like them eh :p

:ROFLMAO:

K

Karnage

I think my guild and character names are quite original :)

ASq - Adventurous Squad
Kane - simple yet effective
Karnage - again simple yet effective
Iamnotabuffbot Honest - just fun :)

then we have my BG alts (still levelling)

All a variation on Kane, due to that being my first proper BG only char :)

Kaneone
Kanetwo
Kanewon
Kanetoo

I did have Kane one-four, but decided that sounded boring so added some originallity to it :)

And

errrrrr...

<coughs>

... and ...... Yrilin

<hides in shame>

My only level 50 and he probably has the crappest name :p

Nerf a mixed effort between the generator and my attempts to make Yrilloian or whatever it gave me into summit atleast marginally OK :)

L

lofff

Originally posted by Trinilim

May i ask what do u mean exactly? There are guilds with german/finnish names.. whats wrong with spanish names? ~~

Personally i loved the "celtic" names (as an hib) and such stuff which suits better the game realms ..

ps: omg, i tho we had all the legolas wannab (---> elves <---) in hib? but i also remember sum pryd-scout named legolash ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom