Mythic sues Microsoft over "mythica" name

X

Xravius

How gay. Everyone knew the word "Mythic" before the Mythic Company game into gaming industries.

K

Kallio

Originally posted by Xravius
How gay. Everyone knew the word "Mythic" before the Mythic Company game into gaming industries.

Well said

D

Driwen

except that when speaking about mmorpg and mythic, you will think about Mythic entertainment.

Besides the word windows has been around for way longer than the OS windows has, but still Microsoft has it as trademark.

C

Chrystina

so? everone knew the words Windows and Explorer before Bill Gates was even sperm in his fathers balls and he still starts to sue ppl for using them ... so why shouldn't other companies play the same game on M$? fair play imo...

F

Falcon

I have to admit when I heard Mythica and MMOG in the same sentence originally I assumed it was a typo and they ment something to do with Mythic and that's exactly what Mythic want to stop.

T

Thorarin

They should, imo.
A MMORPG based on Midgardian pantheon with only 1 letter difference from the company that makes DAoC? It's ridiculous.

T

Twaize

Let's sue windows for having the same name as our windows

O

old.job

Kill those bastards Mythic!!!!!

Godaam Microshite *spits on floor*

If you needs some kneecaps cracking, I'll be glad to help.

I just can't stand them, everything they touch, they fook up to their advantage, ther're gonna kill mobiles next, not by one ounce of technical skill or OS writing ability, just by blackmailing all the operators into selling their shite phones.

X

Xravius

If you had a company called;

e.g Blizzard (know there already is one with that name)

then someone named on Blizzarda;

would you sue? stupid if you would imo.

S

si1verwolf

If you had a company called;

e.g Blizzard (know there already is one with that name)

then someone named on Blizzarda;

would you sue? stupid if you would imo.

Well, yes I would, if both Blizzard and Blizzarda produced the same product... fair enough if one made cars and another made paper tissues or whatever!

Stupid imo if you didn't sue! :D

C

civy

How many companies have taken m/s to court. If they lose they are landed with lawyers bills. If they win m/s appeal and drag it on for years.
Wonder if Netscape and Novell when they look back still think it was a good idea to take on m/s in the courts.

S

SilverHood

well,

Microsoft are using Lindows for sounding too smilar to Windows

so, the difference it being an "A" and an "L" makes all the difference?

MS hyporcracies

B

barevoose

Originally posted by Twaize
Let's sue windows for having the same name as our windows

but windows isnt based on the object windows mythic makes mmorpgs, mythica will be a mmorpg (or so i understand from people writing here) but madem by m/s...

C

Cloudd_RTD

Imho, m/s deserves a swift kick in the groin... Perhaps many more, and I am glad Mythic stands for it's rights.

I henceforth love Mythic, of all my heart.

P

- Pathfinder -

Shrug, they'll settle it out of court; that or drag it on forever with a legion of lawyers to dwarf the Mid zerg :m00: First seems more likely since they're quite obviously going to lose a lawsuit oO

O

old.Emma

The Mythic name and registered trademark are the symbols of that reputation and quality, and they represent the goodwill

lol that bit made me laugh

C

Chenuba

It's so ridiculous it makes me laugh.
I really can't see how Mythic can stop everyone from using myth**** words in future gametitles.
I can't take those people/companys serious that think they can own the right to a specific word that has been in the dictionaries long before we had anything like computers and computergames.
Myths has been among humanity since the start of history, so actually, I hope they won't win.

W

Whoodoo_RD

IMO anyone who sues Bill Gates and wins is 1337 in my book!

I dont see you lot saying the same about Lindows, which was pathetic on gates part. How about Excel (a ladies sanitary bin collection company - esatblished 10 years b4 MS) doing the same? Or Everest sueing for misrepresentation, as windows consist of glass with a wooden or plastic frame?

Any form of competition against MS gets squashed, so its good to see the smaller companies getting a bit of revenge. MS started this ball rolling, if they cant take it back, tough shit!

A

Apathy

Lawyer attacks you with his greave!
You are charged $5023027374!
You are charged $9572315634!
You are charged $8164234545!
You are charged $1753942455!
Defendant was just bankrupted by Lawyer!

a.

R

rookiescot

Aye whole thing is dumb if you ask me.....its litigation for the sake of it.
Where I live in Scotland there are a lot of people called McDonald.
Perversly they dont own their own name. A fast food company which sells poor quallity products own the name McDonald.
Shows how dumb the whole thing is.

S

sh33py

Originally posted by Chenuba
It's so ridiculous it makes me laugh.
I really can't see how Mythic can stop everyone from using myth**** words in future gametitles.
I can't take those people/companys serious that think they can own the right to a specific word that has been in the dictionaries long before we had anything like computers and computergames.
Myths has been among humanity since the start of history, so actually, I hope they won't win.

Amazing how many people have such a poor understanding of the law.

The owner of a trademark has exclusive right to use it on the product it was intended to identify and often on related products.

Where trademarks are defined as:

Trademarks are generally distinctive symbols, pictures, or words that sellers affix to distinguish and identify the origin of their products.

It doesn't make any difference what the word is; what do you think the point of trademarking your company name is? For a laugh? :)

It's to stop anyone else from starting up with your name or similar and getting a free ride.

If a games developer started up, had absolutely nothing to do with Blizzard and called themselves Blizzard East you don't see anything wrong with that? :)

If someone is talking about mmorpgs and they say the word Mythic you think of DAoC, nothing else, not the dictionary meaning of the word you think of the company.

That's more than enough for Microsoft to get owned, even if the game wasn't a mmorpg but considering not only is it a mmorpg but one that deals with the same subject matter as DAoC they haven't got a leg to stand on.

O

old.Alliandre

As explained by sh33py, Microsoft are screwed, unless Microsoft do go and buy them like they've done with companies charging them for these types of things before. :rolleyes:

V

Validus

In addition to daoc, theres also another mmorpg about norse mythology...
Ragnarok Online i think. is it any good?
I basically want to know what is the best norse theme mmog game on the market

Users who are viewing this thread