MySQL Column Find Replace

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
I've been trying all day to figure out different ways of getting rid of spaces or words etc from single columns. I know there must be an easy way to do it but I always try everything I can think of first before I ask anyone else, which I s why it took me all day to get around to writing this.

Anyway so I have a table names DOGS and in that table I have a column named BREEDS and I want to remove all the spaces between the words, say 'Springer Spaniel' want to be 'SpringerSpaniel'.

I started out chopping up the table, saving it, uploading bits of it and all sorts. I have Microsoft Excel 2007 but I can't figure out what format I need to choose for exporting from phpmyadmin and how to save it in the right format in Excel 2007 to upload it again - even though I've done this before by some fluke in the past.

But anyway I found this code which should find and replace text using quiries in phpmyadmin, only I can't get that to work either:

Code:
update tablename set tablefield= replace (tablefield, “findstring”,”replacestring”) ;

Is that the right code for changing stuff in a single column? If it is can you explain for a MySQL dummy how I would use it by writing out exactly where stuff goes for say a table called DOGS in a column called COLOR and I want to replace all instances of 'Shit' with 'Poo'? :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
Easy, you even had the correct function.

Code:
SELECT `BREEDS`. replace(BREEDS, ' ', '') from DOGS

and the full update:

Code:
update `DOGS` set BREED = REPLACE(BREED, ' ', '');

(and I tested those on a quick table I knocked up with the kind of data you have - eg "sdas asda asd asd" etc.)

Maljonic

Can't get enough of FH
Thanks, that's great! I love this stuff when it works, it's kind of like magic when you consider how much time it saves - well maybe nerdromancy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom