Help My PC is broken!!! How to fix please????

dysfunction

FH is my second home
My PC refuses to boot up!

I started it up and it tells me I must "reboot and select proper boot media or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I do this but it keeps telling me the same thing.

Ive even tried putting a new hard drive in and use my windows dvd and it still says the same thing!

Help please!!!

:cry:

dysfunction

FH is my second home
No there is no option for safe mode...it's like the Hard Drive doesnt exist.

I have even tried an Ubuntu DVD that can usually just boot up without installing and it just keeps telling me the same message...

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Does your motherboard have a reset jumper? It might be worth you looking into and trying that.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
hmmm...I'll have a look. Not sure where to begin with that one!
It's a ASUS P6X58D-E

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Although this could be the problem that it won't install an OS:
I have no idea where I should be connecting the DVD Rom drive though....ie what does the ICH Chipset thing look like

Recently I bought this motherboard. My DVD-ROM is connected to the port coming out of the Marvell 9120/9123 controller. When I try to install the operating system, the installation always ends with an error. How do I resolve this issue?
Page Tools

Solution
This is the limitation of the Marvell controller. To work around it, please connect your DVD-ROM to the port controlled by the Intel ICH chipset for OS installation

soze

I am a FH squatter
My ASUS has two different coloured ports for SATA normally 2 of one colour and 4 of another. The two will be the standard ports and the ones to use for the DVD the others are the ones to use for RAID ect.

Can you see your hard disk at all in BIOS? Can't find a boot drive could mean your HD has gone if you can't see it at all n BIOS try it in a different SATA port and try different power and SATA leads too.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I can see the drive in BIOS but can't seem to install windows on it. I have tried different power and sata leads but doesn't make much difference.

Ive managed to get Ubuntu up and running from a USB drive....but can't see a way to install windows via that route...

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Check the boot order and see what shows up. Once I had two optical drives showing when I had one. It was set to the wrong one and I could not install windows

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I only have the 1 DVD drive...I can hear and see that it is being accessed but it just doesn't do anything...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Well I attached an external DVD drive and got a brand new hard drive and managed to install Windows on it. The other two drives must be dead cos I can't access them at all.

Very strange indeed!

gmloki

Part of the furniture
Sounds like your system is looking for the MBR on your chosen boot drive and it's not there. Be useful to know what boot order is in Bios ? Is DVD Rom S-ATA or IDE. If the latter is S-ATA have you got it plugged into one of the blue or grey S-ATA sockets on the mobo ?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Have you lost info? or did you back up?

Luckily I had a backup of most important things to an online backup service such as photos and documents and that.
I have lost a few things which are an irritation but nothing that I can't live without.

Sounds like your system is looking for the MBR on your chosen boot drive and it's not there. Be useful to know what boot order is in Bios ? Is DVD Rom S-ATA or IDE. If the latter is S-ATA have you got it plugged into one of the blue or grey S-ATA sockets on the mobo ?

The DVD rom is sata.
I changed the boot order from HD to DVD Rom to USB and vice versa.
I tried plugging things in different sata sockets but it made no difference.

Something broke both drives...possibly a power surge would be my guess :/

I need to get one of those HP Micro servers to sort out a local backup to keep everything!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom