Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Can't go wrong with Spiderco!

Last mine last summer :(

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
Oh noes!

Tbh the spyderco is lush as an UK legal EDC Folder goes but my not allowed out of the house penknife is the bomb

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What's a "legal carry" knife? I thought carrying a knife got you done for an offensive weapon unless you were going fishing or something... ??

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Any blade under 3" is legal isn't it? Shouldn't be though.

3" or 10" blade, you know where to aim it doesn't matter..

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Bit of a grey area. You are allowed to carry one if you can prove there is a reason for it...generally...depending on the policeman I suppose. I pretty much always have a penknife on me, though mine is a swiss army knife. If I am camping I have two Mora knives on me, 1x stainless steel and 1x carbon steel. http://www.moraofsweden.se/adventure/bushcraft-forest decent cheap knives that I don't mind losing! though that's generally car to camp. The carbon steel is a bugger to sharpen when camping without all my kit whereas the stainless steel can be easily sharpened on the go. Occasionally I will also have a machete too for wood chopping.

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/knife-law-13-w.asp

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
A legal carry knife is one you need no justification whatsoever to carry, ie, for personal utility - cutting pigeons loose from beer can holders, opening letters, peeling fruit aka a penknife :)

Must have a non locking blade with a cutting edge less than or equal to three inches in length.

The second knife has an axis lock (incidentally with a breaking force in excess of 400lbs) therefore isn't legal to carry unless its for a specific purpose. Now as it happens I actually have a specific purpose for which I should be entitled to carry it, but I don't want some jobsworth dick of a cop to try and be a smartarse and confiscate it when it's a limited edition serial numbered knife worth a fortune. Oh. And has very sentimental value. Hence the spyderco.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
It's not that grey an area :) it's actually very well legislated and very well precedented in case law as far as I am aware. The problem arises from the uk's generally overzealous police with their common power trip attitude

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
why do you need it?
Also I would point out that I've previously been involved in a car crash where I needed to cut the seatbelt to extricate.

General point is that what the increasingly politically correct masses are forgetting is that a knife is a tool with a million every day uses.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I think a copper will take that knife away as it is just a fold out knife. Something like a Leatherman Squirt offers more utility and you are not just walking around with a knife in your pocket. But it will come down to how much of a Chav you look

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
like those flashlights. still, the cost...fuuuu

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I thought this was going to be about manscaping your bumhair or something.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I think a copper will take that knife away as it is just a fold out knife. Something like a Leatherman Squirt offers more utility and you are not just walking around with a knife in your pocket. But it will come down to how much of a Chav you look

That's the point though, it's uk legal so he can't. I incidentally have a leatherman mini tool on my car keys in my pocket. It is in no way up to the job, hence the penknife.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
My mate spent 600 quid on a knife after going on one of those bear grisly fella weekends....what a nob

soze

I am a FH squatter
That's the point though, it's uk legal so he can't. I incidentally have a leatherman mini tool on my car keys in my pocket. It is in no way up to the job, hence the penknife.
The good reason to be carrying it clause means they can take it off you. Like i said though if you are not hanging around at night in a town center you would most likely get away with it. And that must just be what you use it for be my LeatherMan has never failed to cut anything. My pocket knife mainly opens boxes and the like and it is plenty sharp enough for that.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
The good reason to be carrying it clause means they can take it off you. Like i said though if you are not hanging around at night in a town center you would most likely get away with it. And that must just be what you use it for be my LeatherMan has never failed to cut anything. My pocket knife mainly opens boxes and the like and it is plenty sharp enough for that.
You misunderstand. As defined, a legal carry knife ie 3 inch non locking blade (there are other aspects to the specification like no handle assist (blade assist is allowed though).... Requires no justifiable reason.

The second knife I post, which I would have liked to have used, requires a justification, which I personally have, the first, does not.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Could be the one...but it was 600 quid..I saw the receipt.

rynnor

Rockhound
You misunderstand. As defined, a legal carry knife ie 3 inch non locking blade (there are other aspects to the specification like no handle assist (blade assist is allowed though).... Requires no justifiable reason.

I think you are misunderstanding the law - anything over the legal size carried in public is an offence - you could try certain defenses of why you needed it but you still risk the court not accepting it.

The sub 3 inch ones are not instantly illegal but if you are stopped by a copper or seen holding it in public you could still get nicked if he believes you intend to commit an offence.

wolfeeh

One of Freddy's beloved
I think you are misunderstanding the law - anything over the legal size carried in public is an offence - you could try certain defenses of why you needed it but you still risk the court not accepting it.

The sub 3 inch ones are not instantly illegal but if you are stopped by a copper or seen holding it in public you could still get nicked if he believes you intend to commit an offence.
Well duh. I'm not talking about acting like a dick.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
While it doesn't have the kudos of some of these tiger skinning knives, my Skeletool is plenty sharp. I've only had to sharpen it once in a year and is as sharp as a scalpel blade.
Or put another way, it cuts through anything I've needed to use it for with hardly any pressure.
http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/Skeletool

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
He does but you would struggle to find a better knife.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

Think I'd rather have two of these as a fallback for the BFG on day Z - berserker!!

1022.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom