my cat ...

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
Well..

it started out pretty strange. My cat, which used to be rather heavy, suddenly lost her appetite. At first, I didn´t really think anything about it. She had a similar thing a couple of months ago. This time it wouldn´t go away though, so I took her to the vet. Now, she´s not "ill", she´s playful as always and doesn´t seem to suffer any pain. So the vet was quite puzzled and we decided to check her blood. Turned out that my cat has diabetes. :(
I briefly checked some internet sites and apparently it´s a pretty complex thing to do a therapy, especially since it´s virtually impossible to check the blood regulary in order to check the insulin dosis. Looks like I have to inject insulin on a daily basis now.

Does anyone here have any experience with animal diabetes?

Ezteq

Queen of OT
ooh ooh i do i can help!!!

omg *faints*

don't worry matey, my inlaws next door neighbours cat had it and just had to take tablets and have injections every day and the cat was fine, he died of old age so first do not panic!

the injections are a piece of cake you just take the cat on your lap, give him/her a treat and a stroke then firmly hold the skin at the scruff of the neck up and inject, the firmer and more confident you are the less you will hurt or dismay the kitty. ask at your vets and im sure the nurses will give you demo's and let you try it under supervision.

dont worry you'll be fine

xxxx

/wubs!

p.s. another thing they gave the cat was conditioning tablets to keep his hair,claws and eyes in top condition as the body is concentrating on the illness so other things may get neglected.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Well...I have diabetes :D

Snap!

Yeah Thorwyn do what Ezteq said and ask the vet to show you how to inject. The reason why is you will see how the cat is affected (then you know if you're being a little heavy handed etc)

One thing I will say is when I inject (4 times a day lol) it can sometimes hurt, yet some times you cant even feel it. If you see the cat squirm etc don't worry, it'll happen every once in a while

Jeros

Part of the furniture
untitled_1.jpg

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
the injections are a piece of cake you just take the cat on your lap, give him/her a treat and a stroke then firmly hold the skin at the scruff of the neck up and inject, the firmer and more confident you are the less you will hurt or dismay the kitty.

ROFL :D

I just had to give the daily injection... this time without vet assistance. Sure enough, the bloody b*tch knew what was coming and was hissing and spitting and growling like I was trying to shred her to pieces freddy-kruger-style. Took me about 50 minutes to finally land the shot. Now my hand looks like a Happy Tree Friend cartoon. :D

If that´s what I have to do for the rest of her (or my) life, then we´re both ready for a threapist.

Well.. my cat is not an aggro-cat. She´s extremely gentle. But she can´t stand being "held". Oh well... need to talk to the vet about that. Maybe those Feliway thingies will help.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
tbh imho cats are the spawn of satan, but fair do's if yours is poorly then you know what the verve said in the drugs don't work.

"like a cat in a bag waiting to drown"

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol sorry thor, apparantly the cat i stabbed was not so vicious... though he was called skitzy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom