My cat is sick...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It started off mid last week with what me and the vets thought was a plain cold, wet nose, drowsy not eating much and not all that active, so they told me to get as much liquid in him as i could, so off i went and bough a ton of cat food cans with "sauce" as they have a fair bit of liquid in it, also placed out lots and lots of water for him around the places he usually sleeps at to encourage him to drink.

went well up until saturday when he would only take the "sauce" from the cat food cans, ok i thought maybe he just like that better so i didnt think more of it, woke up a few hours ago hearing something chew, got up and saw my cat with his head tilted 90 degrees and chewing like mad on something, problem is he was sitting on the sofa with no food around, so i went and checked and found 2 rather big "lumps" on both sides of his throat.

and now he's stopped drinking altogether, and haven't been on the "loo" since sunday morning. (to little in there to be from both cats)

figured that can't be normal so i ran off to check my other cat and she didnt have anything like that so now i'm freaking out thinking he's got cancer or something other equally fucking expensive to fix.

if its serious then i can't afford to do anything about it :(

and just as i'm writing this he starts puking a whole lot of brown gall(sp?) and nothing else....

4 hours until the vet opens....

fuck i'm gonna be a complete mess once we get down there...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
funny thing (or maybe not so funny) is that every now and then he almost seems fine, he wakes up, walk over to me and begs for some cuddles.

he purrs like nothing else for a minute or so then just stops and sits there slightly hanging his head a little.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Cats purr when they are poorly - its a reassurance thing. I hope it's just a virus :( Keep us updated?

For future reference, tesco do pet insurance for about £4.50 a month. After Boo managed to clog his colon with a olive stone, I decided never to be without insurance again.

Just realised you're not in England, but maybe they do something where you are for the same price?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
let's see what the vet says Ctuchik mate. hope your kitty will be ok!

:fluffle:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well, they didn't have time to check on him until thursday so now i'm frantically trying to get a booking on one of the neighboring towns vet stations, but i know as much that the "lumps" on his throat is more then likely his tonsils acting up, and that i really should have him checked as he haven't eaten much since saturday as to little food can apparently cause liver damage in a cat.

atleast he's still eating the sauce from the wet catfood cans...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yep as Damini said, a common misconception is that a purring cat is a happy cat but they also purr when they're in pain. :(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Cats purr when they are poorly - its a reassurance thing. I hope it's just a virus :( Keep us updated?

For future reference, tesco do pet insurance for about £4.50 a month. After Boo managed to clog his colon with a olive stone, I decided never to be without insurance again.

Just realised you're not in England, but maybe they do something where you are for the same price?

gonna be hard to get an insurance at this stage but i'm looking into it, if nothing else then for my second cat if things go tits up for the other one :(

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If he has lumps in his throat and is eating only the sauce bits then he might be having problems swallowing?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yeah probably why.

i know i do when my throat is irritated somehow.

hurts like hell to swallow anything with a substance..

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
You could try mashing the food up and adding some water so that he can nearly drink it.

As mentioned, cats purr when sore too, the theory is that its something to do with the vibration having a healing effect.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
You could try mashing the food up and adding some water so that he can nearly drink it.

As mentioned, cats purr when sore too, the theory is that its something to do with the vibration having a healing effect.

hmm, thats an idea, gonna try that next time he's up, having a nap atm and dont really wanna bother him more then i have to.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
good idea Raven. best not to give the beastie too much though, if he's not had a lot over the past few days.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Gonna try and lighten this one up a tad with a picture of my little kittens :)

its the grey one thats not feeling well.

Attachments

• Cats.jpg
    Cats.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 46

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
my cat stopped eating and was only licking the sauce too mate, he did have cancer it was far too big to operate on or else i would have spent all the money needed to fix him. Dont leave it a second longer

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
On the other hand, my cat licks the sauce because her teeth are too shit for her to chew through piss-weak cat food.

She is around 22 years old though, so I'll let her off.

It could well be a bacterial infection that a bit of antibiotics will clear up m8. I've been told cats have hewuge saliva glands in their neck that can do this.

Either way, there's no point working yourself into a tizz when you can't do anything about it m8. Stroke kitty. Drink tea. It'll all be fine* :)

*most likely ;)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Anyone that has a cat or dog or similar pet without insurance or the means to pay for it themselves is neglecting the animal IMO.

Fucking bang out of order. It's a life, not your toy.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well my home insurance was supposed to cover for my cats aswell, aparently its not says the vets.

but your right, either wich way i should have gotten a specific insurance for them.

tho the financial aspects is sorted anyhow, talked to the old folks in the family and they said they would help.

can't get to a vet station until thursday tho so i'm still abit concerned..

Damini

Part of the furniture
Is there really no way you can get your cat seen before then?

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
I can't believe that a vet would turn away an animal in obvious difficulty.

One of my cats trapped her tail in a self-closing door at 11.00pm one evening. She pulled so hard that she degloved the last 20% of her tail (it was left all floppy and lifeless). I phoned up the vet at 8.30am, was in by 9.15am, she was having her op by 10am and in recovery by 11.30am.
It cost a couple of hundred quid, but I couldn't fault the service at all.

Now I don't know if he put all other appointments aside to deal with her, but there was no hesitation in calling us in. If your cat is in obvious difficulty, and you're paying in cash (not on insurance), then you should be getting 1st class treatment. If you're not getting satisfaction with your 1st vet, shop around.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah if you can't pay on the spot a good vet will offer, or allow, to you pay later, or via installments. It's fairly common.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Is there really no way you can get your cat seen before then?

I'm begging every vet station i call but apparently theres no such thing as an emergency with these guys so i have to wait for an appointment.

have one final vet station i'm gonna call in a few hours when they open (tried this morning but theres no answer) and i'm not giving up untill they see him.

i'm not sure if i can't explain it properly or what but they just dont see it as being that serious. they all agree that i should have him checked up and that it doesent sound good but other then that they dont really seem to want to rush it.

for all i know my cat is dying and theres fuck all i can do to get anyone to check on him without an appointment.

managed to get a better look on his throat this morning and i dont think its his tonsils, or atleast not both of them as i only found 1 "lump" now, god i cant believe i missed that. he's still walking around changing places to nap but he's avoiding his favorite "good view" spots as they are fairly high up so chances are he's getting to weak to actually jump up there. wich is scaring the hell out of me and i CANT GET ANYONE TO SEE HIM!

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
The last weekend before i put benny to sleep he couldnt even get on the bed, it was heart breaking he was always so big and agile.

I found a nice little vets near me that saw him right away without an appointment

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
just got back from the vet with the cat. they are pretty certain that it isnt proper cancer, but a cyst.
so they have now taken a ton of blood tests that i will get answers on either friday or monday.

he wasn't THAT dehydrated so apparently he is drinking at least a little.

so all i can do now is to try and get as much food into him as i can, which is probably gonna be a challenge for both me and the cat as he REALLY don't like to be forced to do anything.

right now he's sleeping. was a fair bit to the vet i went to so he got really stressed out.

Damini

Part of the furniture
Mash up his food with a bit of warm water - basically turn it into soup. Its what we had to do with Boo.

I'm glad it doesn't look too bad. It's so horrible when your pet is sick. Ula (our cat who has moved in with the neighbour because our neighbour is a crazy cat lady who steals other people's pets) is hurt at the moment. The vets think someone shot her with a BB gun. She hasn't lived with us for years, but I'm still worried about her and angry about it.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
We Recently lost one of our dogs to cancer, she too had swollen lymph glands on her neck and on her back legs.

It was diagnosed the day after her Insurance ran out so ended up paying 6k on Chemo for her. She got another 9 months of life out of it but then it came back with a vengeance.

We even took her to the emergency vets at 3am the day before she was put to sleep :(.

I hope your cat hasn't got cancer as it is truly a shit nasty disease, and its heart breaking to watch a loved pet slowly deteriorate.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
ok now i'm confused.

my other cat has started acting more and more strange, and really went "nuts" just now, basically she's been really really interested in my sick cat almost as if she was looking after him. but after i came home from the vet she's been totally avoiding him and just now after my sick cat woke up after one of his naps she actually started to hiss and growl at him.

that has NEVER happened before..

wtf is that about?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
She may have a scent on her from the vet's, if your other cat has been to the vet b4 and didn't like it, she could be smelling on your sick one

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well he didnt smell different what i noticed but my nose sucks in comparison.

could it be that she's noticing that he's weaker and want to take over as the dominant one of the 2?

he's always been the leader of the two. and he's actually quite startled by it, really nervous and stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom