Musical guilty pleasures?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
So what bands do you listen to that you know are actually terrible? Do you have mp3s that you make sure other people never see? Do you join in ribbing Linkin Park yet when you're on your own you're 'One Step Closer'?

My biggest guilty pleasure would be Incubus. Their singer is incredibly annoying, their recent albums have been a toss up between nu metal and AOR, and their lyrics are shaky at best, and yet when I put on any of their albums I really enjoy it despite all the bad stuff. I wish I didn't like them and yet I do.

So, who is the same for you?

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
A lot of NIN stuff actually. Some absolutely incredible songs amongst all the dirge and i really hate admitting it but some of them really get me going... errr... RARGH type songs.

I think its something to do with the fact that i adore big Black, Shellac and Rapeman but havent actually found a suitable replacement for Mr Albinis noise terror that is anywhere near as good. And i know its no substitute, sometimes i just cant help myself though it is rather rare.

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
used to like these.

fgwall-bros.jpg

oh almost forgot. i owe you nothing ruhwhoooaaa..

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
Scooba da Bass said:
So what bands do you listen to that you know are actually terrible? Do you have mp3s that you make sure other people never see? Do you join in ribbing Linkin Park yet when you're on your own you're 'One Step Closer'?

My biggest guilty pleasure would be Incubus. Their singer is incredibly annoying, their recent albums have been a toss up between nu metal and AOR, and their lyrics are shaky at best, and yet when I put on any of their albums I really enjoy it despite all the bad stuff. I wish I didn't like them and yet I do.

So, who is the same for you?

I own a Neds' Atomic Dustbin record. Nuff said.

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I try not to think that much about what other people think, Of course your gonna be influenced by other people's opinion though. I usually pick up cd's based on reviews for a example. If the album gets thrashed in the review I dont bother hearing them. Which in some cases have been proven totally wrong since some reviewers either dont like the particular genre of it or are too narrowminded and the list goes on with outer factors.

The only one that springs to mind is that I prefer Soilwork over the largerly overrated In Flames(whom which latest cd was the ultimate downgrade from a band I have seen in a long while), alot of people seem to disagree though.

And Incubus aint that bad to be honest. They got there own funk flavour sound setting them apart abit from the normal cookie cutter rock band.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
TBH I tend not to feel embarressed telling people what I listen to :/ Quite handy as there is no guilt. If I like music, it's because I like it, if I thought it was terrible I wouldn't listen to it. To know something is terrible sounds like either l33tness or popular opinion gone mad.

Some stuff I like that others seem adverse to is Jarre, or anything with Bagpipes. A bit of Boney M never goes amiss and more recently Ayumi Hamasaki.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I like Justin Timberlake: Rock Your Body.

If you tell anyone, I'll bleed you.

Moving Target

Fledgling Freddie
nath said:
I like Justin Timberlake: Rock Your Body.

If you tell anyone, I'll bleed you.

Heh, same here dude. I like a bit of shit music actually, such as Linkin Park and Korn.

leggy

Probably Scottish
I listened to Hoobastank - crawling in the dark for a while. Utter utter tripe of a band and song but I just couldn't stop listening to it.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Belinda Carlisle - I know every song she's done solo due to my mother playing the albums lots when I was growing up but I still love the songs even though most people would take the piss.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
I guess i'm lucky in that these days i don't give two monkey tosses as to what other people think of my musical taste (even though many people would say I have none)

One thing it took me a while to reconsile was my love for dumb west coast pop-punk from green day onwards. However i agreed with myself that they were the true offspring of the ramones and left it at that.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
babs said:
TBH I tend not to feel embarressed telling people what I listen to :/ Quite handy as there is no guilt. If I like music, it's because I like it, if I thought it was terrible I wouldn't listen to it. To know something is terrible sounds like either l33tness or popular opinion gone mad.

Some stuff I like that others seem adverse to is Jarre, or anything with Bagpipes. A bit of Boney M never goes amiss and more recently Ayumi Hamasaki.

Same here, if my friends don't like what i listen to, what does it matter really? Bjork is my without a doubt my favourite artist atm and only one person i know will even listen to her. I think it's good to listen to a wide range of music, be it pop or nu metal or whatever. At the end of the day, i listen to music for entertainment, and if things like Kate Bush are gonna entertain me then i'll listen to them, if friends like it or not. DON'T BE A FOOL TO PEER PRESSURE!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Bjork is pretty good actually.. well I've only heard one album (Homeogenic I think) and it's pretty damn good. I love her voice too, so powerful and has so much character.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Can we actually post musical guilty pleasures please?

Instead of ruining the thread with bullshit conversations about how you don't care what people think. As we all know you're a fucking liar when you say that.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
True... regardless of how secure in your own taste in music you may be, one thing is clear. There is good music, and there is shit music. When you like shit music you should be ashamed.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
nath said:
True... regardless of how secure in your own taste in music you may be, one thing is clear. There is good music, and there is shit music. When you like shit music you should be ashamed.

No, you shouldn't. Prehaps we listen to music for different reasons. I listen to music to be entertained, and wether the musicians making the music are talented or not is not the decided factor in what i listen to.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Most of you know what kind of stuff I mainly listen to but I listen to any old shit.

My gf takes the piss out of me having:

J-Lo
Bow Wow Wow
Bruce Springsteen
Scooter
Nickelback
Plastic Bertrand (showing my age there)
All Saints
and Eiffel 65.

I dont think they are that bad tbh considering. I KNOW Nickelback are blatant AOR but I like them. Wouldnt want to see any of the above live particularly (well maybe Springsteen if someone paid the ticket for me) but ho hum.

Scooter puzzle me. They ARE fucking awful, their lyrics are at best laughable and they take other people's songs and SCOOTERIZE them in a horrid horrid way. I used to laugh listening to them...and then I kept listening its a sad addiction but fuck it :)

I got the J-Lo VIDS first...*whistle* ;)

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Aoami said:
No, you shouldn't. Prehaps we listen to music for different reasons. I listen to music to be entertained, and wether the musicians making the music are talented or not is not the decided factor in what i listen to.

Then this isn't the thread for you, start a thread called I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK I AM AN INDIVIDUAL! instead of filling this one.

leggy

Probably Scottish
More from me after looking at my mp3 collection:

Andain - Beautiful Things (cheesy housy affair, I can't make up my mind but I can't stop listening to it)

DJ sammy - heaven (candelight mix)

Joe Jackson - Stepping out (love the 80s and the music even if I get a slaggin)

Talk Talk - it's my life, which i'm not actually embarassed about I just get slagged off for listening to it here.

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Its my life (the Talk Talk original NOT the horrid version that No Doubt did) is one of my all time favourite songs.

Lub it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Good Charlotte is my main musical guilty pleasure at the moment. I really want to hate them, given how manufactured they are, but their songs are just too damn catchy. I also normally get scoffed at when I profess my love of early Genesis albums. Dunno why, they were awesome in the 70s.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Looking through my playlist i can see a few things: Black Eyed Peas - Shut up, annoying song but i really like it and it sticks in your head for the full day. Most of Craig Davids stuff. Delta Goodrem, Dido, Gretchen Lieberum (I know i shouldnt like jazz but i just cant help it), John Mayer, Sarah McLachlan, Seal, Moody Blues, Norah Jones, Sade and, worst of all, Wheatus :(

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Bodhi said:
I also normally get scoffed at when I profess my love of early Genesis albums. Dunno why, they were awesome in the 70s.

That's weird. I could understand if it was the post Peter Gabriel albums, but their earlier work is absolutely amazing.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Gurnox said:
I own a Neds' Atomic Dustbin record. Nuff said.
so do I.

I didn't realise this was something to be ashamed of?

Umm, I like most of Sophie Ellis-Bextor's singles but I doubt I'd buy an album and I also really like The Thrills which seems to have earned me a slagging off on another forum...

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
OK, I went through my collection and couldn't find something that's obviously embaressing. But then, I'm probably out of touch.

I will say that I posess and occasionally enjoy Kula Shaker's "K" album. And I have a Blink 182 album. And someone bought me the Baha Men album, but I didn't enjoy that ;).

I'd like to think that this means that I have unbelievably eclectic, music snob friendly music taste. But I know better than that. I'll stick it on random and see what I can find. Kula Shaker should do for now though :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Scooba da Bass said:
That's weird. I could understand if it was the post Peter Gabriel albums, but their earlier work is absolutely amazing.
Agreed. Even the Collins albums were excellent up to and including And Then There Were Three, however Abacab onwards is fairly drab and poppy. Still some good moments tho, such as Turn It On Again and Domino.

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
Will Young - I better leave right now

Take That - Never Forget (As long as it's the one where a choir boy sings at the begining).

A few S-Club-7 songs.
A few Steps songs.
A few cyndi Lauper songs.
A lot of generic house (I think Hed Kandi is popular but if it's not, then Hed Kandi).
Gangster Rap (a selection of Snoops early stuff, some Ice Cube stuff).
Still like Oasis (lastest album, I enjoyed Be here now).
Stereophonics (granted they get worse with every new album and I've not got the latest one, got the rest though).

Can't be arsed to think of anymore, there one's that I figure at least someone on here would be angry and opinionated at. :p

Gurnox

One of Freddy's beloved
mank said:
so do I.

I didn't realise this was something to be ashamed of?

I used to love them. Saw them live a couple of times, bought the obligatory 'Kill Your Television' T-Shirt e.t.c.

Then I decided, many many years later, to listen to them again. They sound so awful now it's almost embarrasing. The singers voice is just soooo flat and dull. I honestly found it unlistenable. :(

Sign of the times or a sign of getting old? Please God not the latter :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom