Help Multiple PCs on one monitor

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Need a bit of advice peeps. When I move to Ireland my girlfriend will be working from home and we're going to set up one room as her office. She'll be using a laptop, but she's probably going to have something with a fairly small screen (she travels for work a lot), so I want the ability for her to easily plug into my big screen, but I don't want to be constantly plugging and unplugging my monitor from my desktop so she can use it. So, to cut a long story short, is there some kind of input adaptor/switch that allows multiple PCs to connect to one monitor? Ta.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
some KVM switches have limits on max rez or max refresh though.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't want to be constantly plugging and unplugging my monitor from my desktop so she can use it.
So make her do it! ;)

On a serious note, a KVM is probably what you're after. Alternatively (if you don't want one) extend the monitor cable so that there is a break somewhere easy to access, i.e.
Code:
PC  ----*Cable*----  ||*Join*||  ----*Cable*----  Monitor
That way you don't have to go rummage at the back of your box for the cable.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
If your monitor has a dvi input AND a d-sub input then there are your 2 separate inputs, as inactionman said

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Thanks guys. KVM sounds like the best bet as it means she can use the desktop kb/mouse as well.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
maybe im stupid (dont answer that) but how does she connect and disconnect the laptop from the kvm?

Bob007

Prince Among Men
KVM will have a keyboard/mouse and monitor socket for each machine connect, connect norm keyboard mouse and monitor to KVM outputs, then you run a set to main puter and set rdy for laptop. Use the switch on the KVM to switch between the two.

Should be able to add a hardware profile to the laptop and select it on boot up to use the external monitor.

problems you may have is VGA v DVI outputs from machines, most modern PC's are dvi now, Might need to check laptop for dvi/vga support.

Dark Orb Choir

Loyal Freddie
i know all that, what happens if the laptop only has one ps/2 output?

plus as tdc said the refresh rate through a kvm will suck more than chasey laine

surely the monitor has a dvi output and a d-sub output

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
As has been said using DVI and D-sub is probably the best way to go. I do this sometimes with my laptop and my Dell 24" screen. I also plug my USB keyboard and mouse into the USB sockets on the screen. When I swap to the lappy I only have to swap the USB link from the desktop to the laptop and I can use the keyboard and mouse too.

RB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom