Games *Multiplayer* Space Games

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Need some space. I'm after recommendations.

I loved Homeworld and always wanted someone to build a decent successor to Elite. Lots of people have tried different things but IMO they've never done the job.

It's *got* to have a multiplayer mode. I'd like to twat a few mates. Or even just one for a bit of weekend-LAN action.

I'm most definitely NOT after an MMO - so Eve is right out. I don't want to play a pretty front end to a database - I want action and strategy and maybe a bit of exploration - but not a fekking borefest.

Suggestions peeps? :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nothing modern really, that I can think of.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Aye. There's a clear absence.

Since gaming went mainstream the original gamer market is no longer properly catered for :(

Nate

FH is my second home
Faster then light?

Don't know anything about it just that it's space and new.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Sins of a Solar Empire?

Strategy, not a shooter but an excellent game.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'd heard of Sins of a Solar Empire and had a look but wasn't sure. Worth it ya reckon eh?

As for Masters of Orion 2 - that was released the year I graduated :(

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I do love SINS, whilst its no Homeworld, it worth playing. Aside from that, there isn't alot of 3D space RTS's around anymore. Unless you want to go down the modding route for Homeworld 2, which is still alive and well. Will recommend the BSG mod.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
As for Masters of Orion 2 - that was released the year I graduated :(

If you want 4X games then there's galciv2 and other options. Depend all on what kind of asswhoopery you want.

There's xcom, it's kind of spacey :p

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
Freelancer was outstanding lost my copy years ago, dont think it works on modern puters tho ?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
X3 and Freelancer are both SP IIRC :(

Edit: I like the look of Endless Space, but I would like more direct control over combat :)

Last edited:

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Wasn't there a space mmo coming out, but they decided to rewrite the engine? I know it's an mmo but what was that game? Not heard anything about it since.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
X3 and Freelancer are both SP IIRC :(

Edit: I like the look of Endless Space, but I would like more direct control over combat :)
freelancer has or at least HAD multiplayer
not sure if its still "up" or if its P2P or whatever :(

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Wasn't there a space mmo coming out, but they decided to rewrite the engine? I know it's an mmo but what was that game? Not heard anything about it since.

Got canned, can't remember it's name but a Freddy worked on it.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Cheers Raven. Yeah someone on FH always used to post updates etc.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Probably thinking of Jumpgate Evolution. My brother was in the Alpha test, said it was like Freelancer, but better, against other people. Sad it ran into trouble.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Well I haven't played it lately but if you like Command and Conquer type games and Star Trek then you may like Star Trek Armada II Fleet Operations. Basicly a modded version of Star Trek Armada II but graphics are alot better, more ships added, more strategy involved and it has multiplayer. The multiplayer was played through a 3rd party program called Tuungle and I'm unsure if you still need the Star Trek Armada II disc to play. This mod only allows skirmish and multiplayer, there isn't a single player campaign for it yet.

http://www.fleetops.net/

If you want to see some videos

http://guide.fleetops.net/video

Last edited:

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Freelancer has multiplayer, you can run your own persistant server and connect over LAN and internet simultaneously.
Sins of a Solar Empire is great fun, especially with Rebellion. Its not a twitch experience and a bit more stately than other RTS.
I really didn't like Nexus The Jupiter Incident.
Master of Orion 2, even a small game will take a long time multiplayer. Still classic fun.
Stellar Impact on Steam is multiplayer-only. Its ok, but nothing brilliant. However, its very cheap.
Jumpgate Evolution didn't make it to product launch :(

Yaka

Part of the furniture
x2 and x3 series altho not mp are brilliant space sims well worth looking at

and freelancer rawked few years ago peeps did a update mod on it defo worth playing

and roberts is making a new pc game http://starcitizen.robertsspaceindustries.com/

as for jumpgate eons ago preety much everyone from bw forums was playing the beta. the devs shoulda just released it as free to play back then and build on it slowly they royally fucked it up and peeps moved on. it was brilliant fun at the time

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Got it. Very much enjoying it at the moment. Quite hard tho - resources are at an absolute minimum.

Agreed, tactically it is very easy to bork things up. Expand quickly to get the resources flowing then consolodate and build defenses and get research going. I am hopeless at political type SIMs so always go for military might.

I actually found endless space more difficult but not as enjoyable.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I forget if Freelancers, prequel Starlancer had MP, was alot of fun though.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
that had a ok mp when it worked. was a brill sp wing commander styled game. MS had another space game at the time that had a rts slant to it and was mp only only bugger was all the server were based in the US. they canned it after a year but it was very good forget the name of it tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom