MSI vs Abit

Kryten

Old Cow.
Small dilemma has brought me to ask in a forum and on IRC peoples opinions of MSI hardware or this specific motherboard :

I've acquired an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 LSR motherboard (Nforce 2 Ultra with MCP-T2 - the top of the range one) with all the spangly bits attached.
I currently have an Abit NF7-S2 motherboard (Nforce 2 with the bog standard crap, this is NOT the NF7-S 2.0 everybody loves, just a cheaper version) which doesn't overclock or have any bells or whistles other than SATA.

I was thinking of replacing my abit with the MSI, however:
1. General opinion of MSI so far over IRC is very low for a reason I dont know
2. The MSI has no mounting holes for my oversized (no, fecking HUGE) heatsink meaning I'd have to use the old stock one

Anyone have any experience of either or both boards and have a clue what I should do? Gone are the days when I could afford to prat about for a full day testing both thoroughly :|

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
and if the last post wasnt helpful enough then i will add this -

i dont recall ever owning an MSI mobo, but i have had at least 4 MSI graphics cards, including my current 7800GT. i have never had a single problem with anything.

i have owned an Abit mobo, i dont recall exactly my experiences. all i know is i automatically shy away from anything Abit since then.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I had an MSI in my AMD K6-2 300MHz and it was fine. However in the past few years I've heard complaints about them and they're often referered to as the cheap 'n' tacky alternative to other manufacturers.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Ive had a Creative/MSI graphics card before with absolutely no issue, but not sure about the motherboards. Asus are shite, and the absolute best motherboard for my system without doubt is the proper NF7.

It was just asking after which should i use, my shit NF7 or the top of the range MSI. I guess I'll have to faff about and test.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
MSI is pretty good for overclocking. maybe that can give some idea on how stable it maybe.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Personally I would most probably choose one with the slightly better features for the price myself....although if all things were equal then I would have the Abit.

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Abit top of the range ones, the fat1lity i think its called, i've used in one rig and an Asus a8n32-sli in the other, assembling was much easier with the asus and it just generally seems to be easier, with bios etc asus is ahead aswell

Asus Delux/premium series are incredibly well made boards, with heat pipes etc etc Also having USB2 and firewire for all your needs, oh and sli :D

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I agree with Confused. I just swopped out my Fatality AN8Sli for the Asus Sli board as the Aboit board was incompatible with my Creative Audigy 2 soundcard.

Ive had no probs with Asus.

Dunno about MSI

Kryten

Old Cow.
Quite aware about the difference with general boards etc - although I still think of asus as the PC-Chips of yesterday - crap budget boards - and never gotten on with them since. Was only asking about the comparison as they are two bit's of kit that I actually have ;)

Mind you, this beats the same thread I posted over at NforcersHQ - noting that I made it clear I didn't have time to test each board thoroughly.

First answer, was from a moderator. Suggesting that i test each board..

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
Never had an A-bit board but brough an MSI K8N NEO4, worked like a charm at first but popped with out warning in december, using an Asus A8N-E now.
I doubt MSI are a bad make n mine was probaly just one of those things as that board has been the recommened mid-range board in PC gamer for a few months now.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
The only Asus board i ever owned i got on the cheap for about £30 so i didnt expect much.. and didnt get much realy, though i suppose it did what it was meant to do. But my last 2 motherboards now have been Asus and had no problems what so ever realy thus far.

Just got my self the A8N Nforce4 which costs about £65 and runs fine so far. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom