MS Virtual PC 2004

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Just tinkering with Virtual PC for the first time properly, seems like as good a time as any to install the Sun Java Desktop.

Screenies once its up and running.

Could prove very interesting!

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
CBA trimming, modem users beware!

It's over on the right, on the portrait panel...

whodathunkit.jpg

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
whodathunkit2.jpg

whodathunkit3.jpg

All sorted then. That works, now what? :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Further documenting my exploits with VirtualPC... a perfect test area for flaky next-gen Microsoft OSes? Almost :)

whodathunkit4.jpg

Xav

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
aye, SUN's been pushing it's java enterprise desktop (or is that the other way round?) for all it's worth. I find it's not all that earth-movingly great tbh, but then I use exactly one SUN machine for desktop stuff and that runs gnome heh. It is a fact that JED (or whatever) will install on nearly anything unix (that has Java installed), at least that is what the uber leet ha><ors here at BigCompany tell me :)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
TdC said:
aye, SUN's been pushing it's java enterprise desktop (or is that the other way round?) for all it's worth. I find it's not all that earth-movingly great tbh, but then I use exactly one SUN machine for desktop stuff and that runs gnome heh. It is a fact that JED (or whatever) will install on nearly anything unix (that has Java installed), at least that is what the uber leet ha><ors here at BigCompany tell me :)
From what I can tell, it's just another linux distro, this time with Gnome instead of KDE, old glibc and no make/gcc as standard.

See my other thread for the problems I had even trying to get firefox installed. I'm currently running the FTP install of Suse into Virtual PC to try it out, ugh I'm sure it's not meant to be this much of a challenge!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Xavier said:
old glibc and no make/gcc as standard.

indeed :) welcome to the wonderful world of SUN :) iirc they never bundle compile tools as theirs is a commercial product that they want you to buy. if your Java desktop behaves itself, you may want to have a look at www.sunfreeware.com (iirc), because they have pre-made packages of nearly all things SUN for Solaris for intel, Solaris for SPARC and perhaps other stuff. Worth a shot I guess.

Mellow

Loyal Freddie
Those screenies are nice, but what is it, just a remote desktop app?

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Nope. It allows you to run an OS inside Windows. E.g. start up Windows XP, then be able to start up any other full x86 OS you like from within it, and use both at once - all on your computer.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Another one is http://www.vmware.com/

These products are going to become the wave of the future, the onset of Grid Computing based on Blade technology.

The idea being you can connect your PC to a Server full of virtual machines and run them across the network, the VMs will integrate seamlessly into the Grid by virtue of being able to run on any unit and connect and disconnect at will, it is intended to run more than one VM per physical machine and resources can be shared using the Blades.

Unfortunately, right now, when it comes to "server" VMs most of the current products are crap :(

Fun to play with on your PC, but keep an eye on this stuff - Nostrodamaxane.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Microsoft have also just released their Virtual Server application ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom