MP3 Player

Will

/bin/su
I'm looking at getting a little MP3 player. My budget is pretty small, and I'm looking at the iPod Shuffle and Creative Zen Stone / Stone+ end of the market. Any suggestions or advice, or bargains?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I really don't want to be the one who has to say this, but it looks like I'm going to.

I've seen/used/listen to both iPod and Zen, and Zen are by far the more superior product. Even though they're less popular. It's just something about iPod which doesn't feel right when using it. I suppose it's the need to actually use iTunes for the music (even though it's just a download away)

Myself and most friends (even those who use iProducts) say after around 12 months, they'd rather of bought a Zen. (Not some silly website review, but a proper one)

Zen also has better sound support and better build quality than the iPod, also it seems to last longer :)

EDIT:

Even though it's not much help, checking both product websites for their specs will generally be a good idea when you decide. Also, when you go and buy one, how it feels (The `buttons` on both act/feel slightly different - So it's really up to you)

Will

/bin/su
I better mention I've got a mac, so having to use iTunes isn't really a barrier for me. :p

I'm tending towards the Zen Stone anyway, because its cheaper. For the iPod to justify the extra cost, it'd need to be pretty special.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'm all for having an MP3 player that isnt an ipod as I think they are not the best players out there...BUT

From some Reviews of the Zen Stone...

It may have more capacity, features and slightly better sound quality than the Shuffle, but it's fiddly to use and the screen is more of an adornment than a truly useful addition. It doesn't look as good, doesn't have that really handy built-in clip, and battery life isn't great

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
To be honest if price is a major factor I'd say just go for one of the cheaper brands. You usually get much more space and better features by avoiding Apple, Sony and Creative.

Will

/bin/su
Thats in the same sort of budget, looks pretty good. Sony might have a sale if it comes out before I decide to splash the cash. Depending on sound quality etc etc.

Will

/bin/su
Any suggestions on an alternative make? Aigo and Sandisk both have pretty poor reviews, and they are the only players cheaper than the Zen Stone that I can see. Though I am being lazy and only looking on dabs at the moment.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Samsung MP3 players look pretty nice, have a good feel about them (But then, it's one of the major brands) - How much space are you actually requiring? Pretty much go into any Currys and look around tbh, don't talk to the staff untill you want to buy one/see how it feels. (I've been harassed by them, saying that iProducts are the best, when they've got no clue about the hardware =<

Will

/bin/su
I'm looking at 1-2GB. I'll have a look round some of the electrical retailers on Sunday and try the buttons.

Elryrith

Fledgling Freddie
I just got a zen V plus 4 gig and its great. Love the sound quality and its so small.

They do a 1 and a 2 gig version as well.. give them a try

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
i was looking at the 4 gig zen V+s, but then the 8 gigs came down to about the price of a 4 whilst i was waiting for my pay check

it should arrive in the next few days, i canne wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom