MP3 player

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Harro.

I'm looking for a new mp3 player and I thought some freddies might help me out.
I want at least 2gb of space, apart from that I'm not fussed, as long as its not a whitepod.

Any suggestions?

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
Hmm well I have a 5gb Creative Zen Micro and I have no complaints. Its got 5gb of space, is black and small, easy to control, has a simple application for transferring music, and can take a few heavy falls. :)

zen_micro_details.jpg

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
get that new sony thing. it's pretty!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
TdC said:
get that new sony thing. it's pretty!

This one? Does look purty, but are you still forced to use Sony Connect? That was awful last time I used it (about a year ago admittedly).

auramain,0.jpg

TdC

I don't know mate. It's just so.....pretty that I almost don't care :) Mind you, being Sony it will 1)prolly still be crap and 2)prolly be riddled with DRM and stuff :(

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm heavily drawn towards the sony, as two of my friends have zens and I want something a little different ( AND SHINIER ).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
ECA said:
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm heavily drawn towards the sony, as two of my friends have zens and I want something a little different ( AND SHINIER ).

If you get the Sony, can you let us know what its like?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
The Sony converts files into the ATRAC format correct?

TdC

that sony is tempting me no end :eek:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
And me... with it's subtle little OLED screen and general curviness...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Ordered the 20gb version of the sony, in black, will be here monday!, I shall be in germany monday /cry, hoping it comes on the courier tomorrow.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Okay, I have a black ipod nano in my possession. Now to return it and get a 6gb black sony?

Help! Pros and Cons please.

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
My mate got one yesterday. Its so slow and unresponsive. Finger prints show easily on it as well. Other than that he ahsnt had in qualms

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Dommers said:
My mate got one yesterday. Its so slow and unresponsive. Finger prints show easily on it as well. Other than that he ahsnt had in qualms
To which are you refering?

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Okay before I open the ipod I'll wait for some other views on the Sony one. Advantages of the Sony one I can see right now are the sexyness and the larger harddrive (6gb) at the same price as the nano's 2gb. Also the ability to play WMA files. However the ipod has a colour screen, I know its got a good interface and sounds good. Will wait for ECA's verdict on it.

TdC

I saw the sony in a shop yesterday but sadly didn't handle it, so I can't comment on the UI. However, I can say that it's outer casing isn't a fully opaque black, but slightly translucent to the point where it seems blueish. Not too pleased with that tbh, though I hasten to add that this was under *bright* shop lighting.
Further more it's bigger than I thought it was, about an ipod mini and a half say. Atm the only thing I'm still pleased with are it's rounded edges. Make me think "organic" somehow...

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I've got one of the 5GB Zen Micros. They're very nice, can be used as removable disks from 512MB to 4 GB, depending on how much music space you want to sacrafice and there is a resonable built-in radio in there to.

The only major qualm I have is the fact that after two months I had to crack the thing open and resolder the headphone socket as it had come loose. This was apparenty a problem in the manufacturing and I'm not sure it's been fixed. So beware.

As for the Sony one. They seemed a bit expensive to me and I have to say I think they look ugly as sin. Plus the fact that you get these numpty's that will buy it simply as it is a Sony. Bah!

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
My girlfriend has a Creative Zen MicroPhoto (8GB), it's truely yummy. Although I can't see why anyone would put photos on a portable mp3 player thing. It has a yummy colour screen, looks great too.

My only quarm is that is has no charger, only charges from USB unless you buy the real charger separately. Other than that I'd get one of these over a Sony or iPod any day.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Got my sony today, shall play with it and write about it later!

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Well so far I'm a bit dissapointed.
You cant just copy stuff across you have to use the sony software /sigh.
You also cant just add stuff to the player from a DVD ( ie my mp3 folders I backed up on dvd then deleted off my disc to save space ), gotta copy it to the HDD first.
You also cant just sling a folder across, it will put it in a big dirty list with everything else, so you have to make playlists of your old folders, which is a bit annoying.

That said, the device is gorgeous, lengthways a bit thinner than a mobile and a bit thicker widthwise.

Don't like the earphones they come with, they are a little too short for me so I'm using my sennheisers instead <3

That said, the player itself is nice, once you have playlists setup its great, and the playmodes are funky as well, it also has a search/link type function in that you can browse by tags, so you can browse Jrock, electro, etc. if you tag your music, you can also browse by artist if you have more than one album on two playlists or whatever.

And of course, its sexy as hell.

mank!

Part of the furniture
i've found the software to be a bit slow and clumsy and it's taking a bloody age to put tunes on it.

not had any problems with playlists and such like yet.

sound quality is good once you've got rid of the volume limit and is dead easy to use.

i'm impressed, software apart i prefer it to the ipod i had.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Can someone with a Creative Zen Micro take a picture of it next to a pack of fags or something. I have one of the bigger Creative players(40gb HD etc) and I want a smaller one, just need to know how small the micros are.

Oh yeah Creative ftw.

I had an iPod and it was truly shite compared to the Creative. I like the look of the Sony but it still sounds too big.

Mank said its like having a brick in his pocket(unless he was pleased to see me).

leggy

Probably Scottish
I understand that the ipod is now too popular to be cool. Which is unfortunately homosexual.

Everything about the ipod feels "right" to me. Navigation, aesthetics, sound.... the list goes on. I not a fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, I just don't understand how on earth it can be "shit". Even after taking personal preference into consideration.

The addition of quality software just makes it better. The sony will, unfortunately, always accompany a software package that makes even the kindest man on earth kill puppies and small children.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
nath said:
What didn't you like about the iPod?

I didn't like the battery life and I didn't like iTunes.

Although saying that some dodgy Jock geezer sold it me, it had probably been playing the backpipe top 40 non-stop for 7 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom