MP3 Player Problem

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Eekk

My MP3 Player (Nomad Zen NX) has a broken power socket!

Obviusly i should return it to creative... but will they look at whats on the harddrive? As its currently full of family photos and dvd backups (as im leaving the dvds at home for space reasons)

I can however charge the battery due to my brothers jb3, do you think it'd be ok to use it on the train tommorow?

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
As long as you can get some power onto it I'd firstly get your files off, then send to creative for repair...

Xav

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Ack, Just discovered i cant charge the battery as i first planned. So im stuck with getting the files off. :/

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
How much battery is left? Save what little remains to either get the files off or delete them if any of the content is less than legal.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Theres none left. However ive just managed to get the connector in such a position as to power it Hurrah ive even managed to save my photos.

Back to my first post however, assuming it stays connected long enough to charge it, do you think it'll be alright to use it this weekend before sending it off next week?

All thats happened to it is the glue or solder etc which is holding the power socket to the casing has come unstuck and hence it doesnt make proper contact, surly if the battery power is fine it can be used.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You risk cracking the PCB that the socket is connected to, or worse, the socket coming completely loose and shorting out something inside. Best not to use it, they might end up sending it back to you with 'Beyond Economical Repair' attached to it.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Tom said:
You risk cracking the PCB that the socket is connected to, or worse, the socket coming completely loose and shorting out something inside. Best not to use it, they might end up sending it back to you with 'Beyond Economical Repair' attached to it.

As its in warranty if its beyong economical repair then they have to replace it. Unless they can prove the warrantys been invalidated, which it hasnt.

But i dont think ill use it just to be on the safe side.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
No, if they inspect the unit they'll see it's had use and thus you've been able to charge it. Knowing that soldered connections don't just 'commit suicide' chances are the repair won't be covered by your warranty.

I'd be prepared to pay for the work personally, I can't imagine for a second that you'll end up with a tech stupid enough to do it under warranty, and if they are I wouldn't be letting them loose with the guts of my Zen.

Xav

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
If they try and charge me for it im going to be very upset as its a manufacturing fault. I've taken upmost care and attention to protect it. :/

Oh and the solder connections are fine, as i managed to charge it. The black plastic of the connector seems to have come unstuck tis all. I'm half tempted to superglue it back together. But i'll see what creative say first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom