Moving operating system to an SSD.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Switched the dvd player and it worked fine. But now after i've formatted my old windows HD it keeps trying to do a repair everytime i reboot.

Currently doing a "slow" format to see if that helps but it probably won't delete the restore partitions. So how do i get rid of those then?
Do you have the bios still trying to boot from your old hhd first? If so go there and remove it from the boot order. Put the ssd in to it and it should be fine.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Remove it entirely or just move it down the priority list? Not sure i can remove it entirely to be honest. Got one of those asus uefi bios.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Move it down should be fine, it is generally most useful to go along the lines of:
  • External USB
  • CD/DVD Drive
  • SSD
  • Old HDD

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Ok it doesn't try to repair now but it still has me select which windows to boot from. Why does it do that? I formatted the other hard drive, there are no windows on it. Only system restore opartitions i (presumably) don't need on it.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Ok it doesn't try to repair now but it still has me select which windows to boot from. Why does it do that? I formatted the other hard drive, there are no windows on it. Only system restore opartitions i (presumably) don't need on it.
Its cause it can see the bootstrap from the old hdd. Which indicates it can be bootable even tho the old hdd doesnt have any windows files on it any more. When you format the drives it doesnt overwrite the boot area of it. Im sure a google will give you a solution to remove it from the drive.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I've done mine as well. All back to normal now.
Struggled with a strange error which meant I had to unplug my other drives before it would install Win on my new drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom