Moving operating system to an SSD.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Do i need to format my old hard drive to get rid of the OS on it?

Or is it something that is recommended i should do regardless?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber

In my view, if you are doing a full re-install onto a new SSD (great move by the way, you won't regret it) then assuming you can store all non-OS files that you need to keep on a temp storage device a format of the HDD is probably a good step to take. YOu can also run full disk diagnostics etc on it and set up a good defrag routine to keep it healthy. Other views may differ, of course - it's certainly not a necessity. Good luck!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Do a new install, make that the boot drive and you can safely leave the OS on the old harddrive.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Funnily enough I'm doing exactly that on the weekend.
Just got to make sure I can still get my work VPN up and running on it afterwards.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Do a new install, make that the boot drive and you can safely leave the OS on the old harddrive.
Takes up space though so i rather don't. :)

Thanks all.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Ok so i need to initialize the SSD before i can use it. Should i use master boot record or GUID partition table?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ok so i need to initialize the SSD before i can use it. Should i use master boot record or GUID partition table?
Go with GUID as it is the new standard.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
uum ok so the SSD is apparently online but it doesn't have a drive letter and i can't find a way to assign it one... meaning it won't get listed under "this computer"...

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
uum ok so the SSD is apparently online but it doesn't have a drive letter and i can't find a way to assign it one... meaning it won't get listed under "this computer"...
That is not how you install a new OS.

Reboot with your windows media and select the new drive to install to.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
No i know that's not how i install a new OS. But need to get the bloody SSD to show up first so i can install the OS on it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No i know that's not how i install a new OS. But need to get the bloody SSD to show up first so i can install the OS on it.
You should not have to. Just boot your Windows Install media.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Aah ok, i'll do that then. Thank you.

Sorry for being daft, not used to this being a hassle. :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

It is fine, normally I would say you are acting like @Job but since he has gone @Scouse is taking his place.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

If you're not sure, temporarily disconnect the old HDD before booting the installer from USB

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It is fine, normally I would say you are acting like @Job

I noticed myself, part of the reason i'm not here much anymore. Didn't like what i was turning in to.

anyway i'm literally going insane at this point.

Found my windows 10 dvd i burned half a year or so ago, plonked it into my burner and rebooted. Didin't boot with the CD so rebooted again and went into BIOS and selected it to boot first, still didn't work.

Apparently windows isn't treating it as a recordable device any more.... Says it's a CD-ROM......

Gonna go through these steps and see if that helps. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...s-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Nope, none of the steps in that microsoft link worked. It's listed as a DVD-RW in my computer but it says CD-ROM under its properties in device manager....

All i did was to remove the SATA cable and plug that in to my second mechanical hard drive. Then today i switched it back to my dvd-r because i needed it and then that happened...

Also is it normal to not have any ATA channels under IDE/ATAPI?
All that's there is the SATA AHCI-controller

Should i uninstall that and see if that helps?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The drive could be bollocksed... Does it read discs (like a DVD film for example) ok? Do you have a blank DVDR you can try to burn the image to? You can use that link above the download an ISO you can burn to a disc.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It can read normal cd's but not any DVD what so ever. Says there's no disc inserted and ejects when i double click the dvd under my computer.

The win 10 CD i have is created with that media creation software microsoft provides. And i tried to burn a new one when that didn't work before i noticed it behaved like a cd-rom....

edited for clarification.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Just to get the obvious out the way... are you sure it's a DVD drive?

If yes, it could be terminal as it uses a different laser to read CDs and DVDs so maybe the DVD bit has died.

Syri

FH is my second home
sounds like the drive has (partly) packed up. Could be a problem with the laser, especially if it's one that has separate CD and DVD lenses. If it were a configuration issue, it wouldn't read CDs either, there's nothing you can change in the bios or drivers to make a DVD drive think it's a CD drive.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Just to get the obvious out the way... are you sure it's a DVD drive?

If yes, it could be terminal as it uses a different laser to read CDs and DVDs so maybe the DVD bit has died.

Oh no it's not just a dvd drive, it's a DVD super recorder multi writemaster! :)

/edit: and yeah, probably the dvd reader that's packed up. Gonna steal moms tomorrow and see if that works.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorry you're having so many problems!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Switched the dvd player and it worked fine. But now after i've formatted my old windows HD it keeps trying to do a repair everytime i reboot.

Currently doing a "slow" format to see if that helps but it probably won't delete the restore partitions. So how do i get rid of those then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom