motherboard...

HitManDan

Fledgling Freddie
Recently come purchased a "S478 Intel 865PE ATX A" and a "P4 3.0 512Kb S478 Box 800FSB" but the blasted things dont seem to work...

the problem is that when i press the power button they START to work (lights come on, fans spin) but then die seconds later :(

Just wondering if it could faulty hardware? or something more ie power supply.
will post more info later if needed, going to try new MB with old processor etc but my hand hurt from all the sharp metal :(

Just like to pick your brains if anyone has encounted similar or care to hazard an educated guess as to the cause/cure

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
Is it actually seconds later that it dies, or almost right away?

If it's almost right away, then I've had similar experiences in the past where this happens, to find that I've left a mounting post (from old motherboard) attached which is shorting out the new motherboard.

Might be worth checking.

If it is indeed seconds (quite a long time really), then I'd be looking at the power supply.

Are there any beeps?

HitManDan

Fledgling Freddie
yes it is indeed right away :)
no beeps tough

mounting posts, they the little metal bits i screw the motherboard into ? that atach to the case?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
indeed, those are the posts in question.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
If your fans flash into life and instantly die, I would say its your PSU.

I hade the same problem with a Qtec PSU, swapped it out and the board was fine. (rather bizarrly though, the Qtec worked on a different board.............phear my IT skills)

HitManDan

Fledgling Freddie
Its DEF not the mounts been testing all morning (got the cuts to prove it, dam pointy bits and fiddly wires)

i am prity sure its the PSU now. looked on the back of my current one and it said "230v" 10A max 230w" so im thinking this is far to low for a p4 3.0GHz + gf4 FX5700 Ultra/960

tough its seems to work fine for 1.8GHz + gf4 FX5700 Ultra/960

Gunna buy the bigest power supply i can later on, thingers crossed should work thank for the help/tips/advice etc

Feel free to advice a nice size PSU etc, hat off to all for the help :drink:

TdC

I have an enermax 430W unit which rocks. When getting a PSU make sure it's certified to run with your CPU of choice eg AMD/INTEL. Swapping a PSU isn't hard, just plug the wires and power-up :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Don't buy an Emermax, I've had two die on me so far, they are the Deskstars of the PSU world.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
xane said:
Don't buy an Emermax, I've had two die on me so far, they are the Deskstars of the PSU world.

Similarly I have two Enermax's that have both been smashing for years. ;)

G

TdC

bah, xena teh enermax killor!!! :(

Yaka

Part of the furniture
SoWat said:
Is it actually seconds later that it dies, or almost right away?

I've left a mounting post (from old motherboard) attached which is shorting out the new motherboard.

Are there any beeps?

i have done that, lost the mobo an cpu in one go,

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I'd have to go with Xane TdC - Enermax PSUs aren't 'all that' in any way shape or form. I've seen a couple fail in quite unpleasant ways on our testbeds and they have the flakiest 5v rail of ANY PSU I've seen.

Xav

TdC

I never said it was the dogs danglies, just that I have one and am quite pleased with it. reccomend me a good one and I'll get it and compare :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I hope this doesn't sound shitty as I am only trying to help HitManDan, please don't go all shitty about this but...........but your spelling mate, its shocking. I got shit at the beginning of posting on BW about my text type typing so I have had it said to me.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Oh and thank your stars that it wasn't a mounting pin, more than likely would of blown your board. Try resetting your bios as well. Probably your power supply though.

Edit: Or your ram, make sure they are the same speed if you have more than 1 stick in.

Edit number 2: Make sure you have an uber fan on your processor as well, those babies get hot real quick.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Get an Antec psu, someit like the trueblue 480W, should solve all ya power problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom