More people should be saying this

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I heard they were genetically modifying lemons with kryptonite to produce some form of super fuel!

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
but surely the energy brokers must do this? or are they sticking their heads in the sand and hoping for the lesser of two evils?

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I think the problem, Teedles, is that we can't rely on wind energy. If the turbines put all the coal power stations out of business with their subsidies and then the wind dies where do we get our power until it comes back?

pez

Can't get enough of FH
I think if the wind died we'd be pretty much fucked anyway.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Incorrect usage of a Luddite reference. I did a better one in another thread :)

In fact, one of the big arguments that people advance for wind power is that it would 'create jobs' (IE cost a lot :))

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fixed it for you Wij:

Wind power is shit says unscientific wank by charity that campaigns against wind farms 'cause they spoil view

To quote:
John Muir Trust said:
Our Vision is that:

Poorly sited and inappropriate man-made structures will be removed to improve the quality of the wild landscape

Failwij ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Never claimed they were unbiased but they make a good case. Tell us what they got wrong then ? :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Discuss proven biased article? No thanks ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

OK...

Discuss merits of non-scientific anti wind farm article published by a group that self-professes the elimanation of wind farms?

Sorta like, discuss merits of babeh Jebus, in teh contex of teh Bible.

No thanks :)

rynnor

Rockhound
Discuss proven biased article? No thanks ;)

Everything you have ever read or posted for use in your arguements contains a bias so why stop now?

Assuming their bias they probably do still have a point since salesmen always oversell things.

Wind power was a great area for overselling because no-ones going to realise till years after the thing has been built at which point the salesman's long gone and they can always make up some excuse.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Everything you have ever read or posted for use in your arguements contains a bias so why stop now?

Assuming their bias they probably do still have a point since salesmen always oversell things.

Wind power was a great area for overselling because no-ones going to realise till years after the thing has been built at which point the salesman's long gone and they can always make up some excuse.

I've sold wind power to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook...

rynnor

Rockhound
The thing that people tend to forget about wind is that its in the wrong places - its fine to have a windy mountain for your wind farm but its generally hundreds of miles from where you need the power - even if we ignore transmission power losses the other big problem is that you need hundreds of miles of big unsightly pylons to carry the power your producing.

Theres a big battle in central wales at the moment as the energy folks want to connect their wind farms to england via an enormous stretch of double height pylons that will completely disfigure a really beautiful stretch of countryside...

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The BBC article was about solar but good point nevertheless :)

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
Yep, the TAN8 proposals in mid-Wales are being strongly fought by the communities in question. They've lobbied the Welsh Assembly (who can't do anything) and Westminster (who aren't listening). EVERYWHERE you drive in the area are signs saying "No pylons here!" or other similar sayings. Everyone knows about it.

In other news, Horizon Renewables have started a number of public consultations to do with their ideas for Wylfa B nuclear power station on Anglesey. The proposals are for nearly 3GW of generating capacity, triple the current 980MW peak. For comparison, the proposed Gwynt Y Mor offshore wind farm will have 576MW... and the wind farm efficiency is generally given as about 30% maximum. There's simply no comparison. Wylfa B will output over 10x more power than Gwynt Y Mor. THAT'S why nuclear is necessary in the energy portfolio.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nuclear or some unknown future tech is the future unless you want to utterly destroy the little countryside we have left.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Believe it or not we have loads of countryside left. Absolutely bloody loads of it.

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Scotland is still mostly empty. I quite like the view of wind turbines. They may currently be an expensive source of electricity, but with scale and rising oil prices, that will change in the next decade or so.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
No it won't since if they start putting too much new wind on the grid then they will also have to fork out for storage and backup gas generators to cover the three day periods of no wind we get most years. Fucking ludicrous waste of money :)

Anyway serves me right for making a point about solar by resurrecting a thread about wind but anyone got anything to say about the church and solar ?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I like the 'turn the Sahara in to a giant solar panel to power europe' idea

I think it was being looked at quite seriously too.

Have you read Sahara by Clive Cussler? I'm not certain the technology exists but there's a solar plant in that book that atomizes all kinds of waste. Can't remember the exact process as it's been a few years since I read the book. Build a few of those and we could essentially power a shit load of the world and destroy chemical and nuclear waste at the same time.

rynnor

Rockhound
Anyway serves me right for making a point about solar by resurrecting a thread about wind but anyone got anything to say about the church and solar ?

It does seem a rather morally questionable investment by the church since the subsidy comes from putting up the prices for domestic customers and will disproportionately hit the poor at a time of record fuel poverty in this country?

Will that do Wij? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom